DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

It was an interesting premise, and there were a couple of set-piece disasters that were incredibly visceral and upsetting. It was also quite creepy in places. It didn't quite all hang together but it was stylishly shot. Must find out a bit more about the director.

EDIT: just looked it up, and it was the director of The Crow and Dark City! Well that makes sense.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Death Proof

The first half is absolutely fantastic. It stumbles quite a lot after Rosario Dawson et all show up, although I did like Mary Elizabeth Winstead's ditzy character even if she was only in it for a few minutes. Kurt was awesome, of course. Overall, not anywhere near as bad as people say it is.

Good soundtrack too.

Actually it was a great promise for a film, it just bored the pants off us.

Who?

Well, there were 2 of us in the room at the time, hence the plural.

I could have said bored the pants off me or the pants off us, both would have been factually correct.

Problem?

Just watched Super. Rocked my fucking balls.

Rainn Wilson should just knock the acting on the head, he's Dwight Shrute and nothing else. But he's brilliant at being Dwight Shrute, and this could have easily been an odd fantasy spinoff Office concept, so he was perfect. Found myself attracted to Ellen Page for the first time ever when she giving Frank a a good raping too. Anyway, really really loved this, have heard criticisms that it couldn't decide if it was a comedy or a drama, but personally I liked the line it straddled, and other than the fact he wasn't caught out by the police earlier, I thought it was a fairly nice representation of the farcical but not-totally-impossible principle of a real-life superhero.

Utterly great anyway, can't recommend it enough.

• Paid Members

Rainn Wilson should just knock the acting on the head, he's Dwight Shrute and nothing else. But he's brilliant at being Dwight Shrute, and this could have easily been an odd fantasy spinoff Office concept, so he was perfect. Found myself attracted to Ellen Page for the first time ever when she giving Frank a a good raping too. Anyway, really really loved this, have heard criticisms that it couldn't decide if it was a comedy or a drama, but personally I liked the line it straddled, and other than the fact he wasn't caught out by the police earlier, I thought it was a fairly nice representation of the farcical but not-totally-impossible principle of a real-life superhero.

Loved everything about it except SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

the wrap up at the end, it was bullshit, he killed loads of people and everyone knew who he was, it wasn't a sentimental film so why tack on the awkward last bit? I would've liked it much more if he'd met a Boltie style grizzly demise.

Loved everything about it except SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

the wrap up at the end, it was bullshit, he killed loads of people and everyone knew who he was, it wasn't a sentimental film so why tack on the awkward last bit? I would've liked it much more if he'd met a Boltie style grizzly demise.

I agree to an extent. I loved the 10 or so minutes before the final scenes (where it all kicked off). It was so violent it was brilliant.

• Paid Members

Watched Harry Brown again yesterday, I'd only seen it once when it was first released & it wasn't really how I remembered it. I recalled it being much more of a gritty drama than it seemed on second viewing. It was pretty 'kitchen sink' up until the point where Harry goes to buy a gun then it shifts so much in tone he might as well have been in the Titty Twister, it's essentially a comic book film from that point on.

• Paid Members
Just watched the classic "The Town That Dreaded Sundown" such a long lost thriller/stalker classic if you can find a copy somewhere i would watch it as its well worth it definately a good flick for a night in, just watching White Dog then Dark Night of the Scarecrow two more classics :)

That's a fucking cracking line-up of movies

Watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly last night. It was my first foray into Western territory, and I thought it was fucking brilliant. The story was absolutely fantastic.

The version I watched was a re worked, extended version (just under 3 hours) but at no point was I checking the clock to see how long was left, it kept me relatively excited for the duration. The only slight distraction was that a lot of the sound had obviously been re dubbed from the original, probably due to the original film no being in the best of condition when they came to re work it. Eastwood himself actually re voiced bits an pieces for his character.

On the whole, I was well impressed with the style and presentation. I

Watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly last night. It was my first foray into Western territory, and I thought it was fucking brilliant. The story was absolutely fantastic.

The version I watched was a re worked, extended version (just under 3 hours) but at no point was I checking the clock to see how long was left, it kept me relatively excited for the duration. The only slight distraction was that a lot of the sound had obviously been re dubbed from the original, probably due to the original film no being in the best of condition when they came to re work it. Eastwood himself actually re voiced bits an pieces for his character.

• Paid Members