DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Just watched Ghostwatch.

Sorry if it's been discussed and I've missed it. I was 11 when it was first shown in 92 (and it's never been repeated in the UK), and didn't see it, so had put up with reading about it and accounts from friends over the years. Finally got around to downloading it, and it really didn't disappoint. Obviouly it's a tad dated these days, and I'd say with hindsight that the ending could have been played a lot more subtly, although I'm saying that because it would have made it more convincing as a documentary, which clearly wasn't the whole intention- despite the fake-documentary style of the show, they made it clear it was a drama, as was their defence when someone topped themselves a few days after watching it. Anyway, tons of fun seeing tv presenters from my childhood doing a bang up job of freaking out the nation.

If anyone remembers this and fancies it, the writer wrote a short story ten years later which won an award or two and is based on the show. Available HERE.

I don't know where to start on the Nightmare on Elm Street stuff but after 3 they just started ramping up the Freddy as a campy anti-hero they went to shit. I think i wrote about them on here when i went through them all in a week. Watching them back to back shows just how shitty they got.

Just to try and put the whole NOES issue to bed.I wasn't likening the films to masterpieces of say Fritz Lang or Alfred Hitchcock,merely stating that within the horror genre and more specifically the Nightmare series that Parts 3 and 7 were both very good.

No they're not! Within the series, the horror genre and film as a whole they are awful. The only really good film in that series is the first one. The second one is mediocre at best. The rest are shit. The Nightmare On Elm Street Code is - 12everythingelseinequalorderofshitness.

No, just no. The second one is easily one of the worst and calling it mediocre is being VERY generous. Three might be super camp but at least it was a fun watch and seven is just as good as one if not better.

Anyway, i'm not a huge fan of them anyway or any horror film's in that style (Friday 13th and Halloween etc are shite) but for a simple bit of fun those two and the first are a laugh.

Just seen Severance on BBC3, can I have the hour and a half back please? Awful, awful film. Ill grant it has some some decentish set pieces, but the rest of it, yuk.

Really? I've not met anyone who doesn't at least enjoy that film as throwaway. Dyer is superb in it

• Paid Members

Christopher Smith is building a very nice horror portfolio. Creep was an okay starting point but Triangle, Severance and Black Death have all been superb. Looking forward to his next one.

Christopher Smith is building a very nice horror portfolio. Creep was an okay starting point but Triangle, Severance and Black Death have all been superb. Looking forward to his next one.

Creep was excellent I thought, and Severance was a blast, but Black Death was really a cut above. I wonder what he'll do next?

Loki fact - I'm mates the guy who wrote the music for Severance and Black Death.

How can you not like Severance?

Well, it wasn't my cup of tea, thought it was shite, hence the mini-review. I prefer Horror-Comedies, ala Bad Taste, Black Sheep and Dead Snow. This didnt stack up and no amount of homages to other films including Super Vixxens (at least I think it was Super Vixxens) at the end with the Machine Gun, and Dr Strangelove is going to change that.

Edited by patdfb