The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Well we could use the selective averages thing for just about anyone, couldn't we? If Vaughan didn't score those 3 centuries in that Ashes series down under he would have had a shit series etc.

• Moderators

Selective averages?

Anthony McGrath > Jacques Kallis

Averages are ever more increasingly a shitty metric. A moneyball approach should be used, a massive gap between the have and have nots of Test Cricket (unfortunately including the Windies) has opened massively since the turn of the 21st which inflates averages piss takingly. Ireland or Afghanistan would give more a game than Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, a Windies devoid of talent as they are personally following the money of the new Kerry Packer without the positives he made (and a shit board), Pakistan having one of their crises with their board or India being lazy away from home (fuck the BCCI. To the nth degree.)

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

England bat deep as long as Chris Jordan isn't playing. I'd sooner have Ola Jordan in the Test team than him. She has better footwork than him and she bowls a good back of the hand slower ball. Also manhandling Sid Owen round the dance floor is far more terrifying than facing Dale Steyn on a fast track at Newlands.

In short. Fuck you Chris Jordan.

Well we could use the selective averages thing for just about anyone, couldn't we? If Vaughan didn't score those 3 centuries in that Ashes series down under he would have had a shit series etc.

Well, it's not the same thing, I understand the point, though. But my argument is these aberrations don't accurately represent his true worth as a lower order test batsman. Take the 90 vs India. Ola Jordan would have scored a double century in that game. Does 2 good scores against lackluster opponents in 26 innings equate to "can bat a bit"? Especially when his perceived batting ability was used as a reason for inclusion in the team.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Tomorrow is my first match as a Somerset member. Off down the County Ground with some friends and a four pack before seeing the Wuzels to cap-off the most South-West day ever. Very, very excited as we face a presumably Alistair Cook-less Essex side. Planning on attending at least two days of the match, possibly three if it's good. I haven't got a fucking clue where we will finish this season. Anywhere from last to second is on.

What a good advert the first set of matches was for the Championship though. Over a million tune-ins for the BBC radio coverage which is refreshing to see. Outstanding games too with both Essex vs. Lancashire and Hampshire vs Yorkshire providing some excellent cricket. 

EDIT: Fuck Yeah! Cook is playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39587848?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I spent a few hours at Hove for the last Sussex pre-season game on Saturday. It was wonderful. 

I'm having health issues at the moment so I'm not sure if I'll be back much during the proper season.

It's going to be a strange season to watch England with the Test matches not starting until July.

• Paid Members

II had the good fortune over the winter to attend some umpires courses that had first class umpire Paul Baldwin at them. Learned a lot about how the professional umpires manage the game and about some handed little tricks for on the field. He was reassuringly rubbish at getting the LBW's right, which gave hope to the rest of us. 

On top of that a new version of the laws will be coming in on October 1st this year. I had a quick read through the summary of the changes today. That was 26 pages long so there is a lot to learn at the end of this season for next. The one that will grab the headlines will be the sin bin/sending off procedure. I know some fussy bastard umpires will soon have the game down to 6 aside. It looks like it will be fun. 

7 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Tomorrow is my first match as a Somerset member. Off down the County Ground with some friends and a four pack before seeing the Wuzels to cap-off the most South-West day ever. Very, very excited as we face a presumably Alistair Cook-less Essex side. Planning on attending at least two days of the match, possibly three if it's good. I haven't got a fucking clue where we will finish this season. Anywhere from last to second is on.

What a good advert the first set of matches was for the Championship though. Over a million tune-ins for the BBC radio coverage which is refreshing to see. Outstanding games too with both Essex vs. Lancashire and Hampshire vs Yorkshire providing some excellent cricket. 

EDIT: Fuck Yeah! Cook is playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39587848?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter 

Good on you, Gus. That's two very good bits of news there. I plan to catch at least one day of cricket with my granddad at Taunton again this summer.

Don't like the format for Division 2 this year. Funny you mention the South West, because I just hope we can bring home one title as a county before the Championship inevitably turns into a region-based competition. Warwickshire being rebranded 'Birmingham Bears' for limited overs competition was just the start of a slippery slope... 

• Moderators

Middlesex have said no to the new ECB T20 Competition. Good on them. The Bacon and Eggs should stand up mightily against T20. Even though it's more probably about the City based system.

Still, ban T20.

• Paid Members

Great bowling. Horrendous batting. Men and women talking about sandwiches. Burned to a crisp.  Sober. Drunk. Hungover.  Drunk again. Tired. Freezing. Boiling. Cider.  Tail end runs. Friends. The Cider Fueled Tractor yelling. Local players. South Africans. The elderly reminiscing about their youth. The score board never working. A sense of belief that the ECB can never truly kill this. Parochial and glorious.  Frustration. Jubilation. Two days of bliss in the Championship.

Edited by Gus Mears

• 1 month later...

Booked yesterday off work so I could go to Old Trafford and watch Day 1 of the Roses clash. Gritty play, slow Old Trafford pitch with not a lot going on and the batsmen having to take their time...thoroughly good day out. Ballance is back to the ridiculously strong form that got him his England call up a few years ago and seems to have worked out the issues he had with footwork that had him caught out at international level. Selectors would have to be barmy to overlook him on current form once the Test matches get underway, surely? 

Jimmy pulling up halfway through his sixth over was a bit of a concern, didn't take to the field for the rest of the day and from what I gather, hasn't fielded this morning either. Luckily, all of this one day cricket means we've got about 45 days until the first Test match of the summer for him to be fit again. Cracking chance for some of the younger guys in the county scene to step up this summer though with the ball, especially with the Ashes looming in winter. Typical that now we're back onto four day cricket, the weather has turned back to rain again..

• Paid Members

I would like to see a few more months of Ballance in top form before calling him up again. Bit like when Bairstow had a real solid year before coming back in, because one more in and out job might ruin him.

In other news, thank fuck I didn't bother going down to Taunton today in order to watch 6 hours of quality rain action. 

Edited by Gus Mears