The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Lloyd is an absolute clown. I get the feeling, despite his persona, that he is a bit of a bell in real life. Certainly the couple of people I know who have worked with him have said as much.

We're appointed opening bat, 22 year old Tom Abell, as 4 day captain. Surprising choice, but one for the long term as Trego/Hildreth (the obvious choices) are both getting on quite a bit. I'm excited for the new season. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Somerset Membership turned up today and I can't wait to while away the summer at the County Ground. The world is such a frightening place at the moment that it will be a beautiful distraction.

Also, out overseas player is Dean Elgar. Excellent choice. Gritty player who will fit in with the mindset of the team and can slot in at 3, thus protecting Hildreth a bit which is a good thing.

• Paid Members

I've got a couple trips to the Riverside planned already. Can't commit to catching as much as I used too.

Elgar bowls a bit of left arm orthodox as well which should be useful presuming they are savvy and keep Taunton a turning pitch.

I have to say though its a touch risky Abell as red ball captain. Hopefully the senior players will be supporting him

• Paid Members

It's a real risk, but he'll have good support with Trescothick, Hildreth, Trego and potentially Allenby as support. It's a bold move and one that I hope was made because he intends to be aggressive. I love Trescothick, but a year of Rodgers making declarations and being gritty showed the difference captaincy Outlook makes.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

He's in a better spot to come in then most over clubs and I guess sticking on one of the old timers just delays the inevitable.

Not sure what to expect with Durham this year. Hopefully respectable performances and bringing some guys on

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

8 games of Wood even would be a huge plus. I still think our bowlers will carry us to a good few wins in league 2. Our batting is suspect though, I'm hoping Burnham can take a step forward. There is alot of faith in him within the club

8 games of Wood even would be a huge plus. I still think our bowlers will carry us to a good few wins in league 2. Our batting is suspect though, I'm hoping Burnham can take a step forward. There is alot of faith in him within the club

• Paid Members

Suppose it best to post in here about the sad loss to the Cricketing world it was when Rachael Heyhoe-Flint passed.

I met RHF many times at Molineux and she was an absolute pleasure to talk to. She adored Wolves which was great for me, but she was surprised a lad from Wednesfield would want to talk about cricket.

A top quality player, an ambassador for the game and a pioneer for women in the sporting world.

Her achievements should never go unappreciated. She was special.

• Paid Members

I'm spending my Saturday engaging in curry and beer based refreshment and the 8 hour 2005 Ashes review DVD.

Ashley Giles was dreadful. Watching him get tanked around during the first test had me pining for the aimless nobbery of Ian Salisbury. Test bowling average of 40.40. Gopping.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Maybe I'm biased due to his Warwickshire links, but Giles was a great spin bowler. Not in the same bracket as Warne or even Swann but at that time was the best we had.

He could damn well turn the ball, and his 'ball of the century' was fantastic bowling.

• Paid Members

I think that was the only one he turned in his whole career, really. But England could do with a spinner like him right now who you can stick on from one end most of the day and know he won't go for much more than 2 an over. Paul Harris did much the same job for South Africa, was baffled when they binned him.

Edited by Devon Malcolm