The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Some of the selections on this tour have been absolutely bizarre. Starting with choosing Ben Duckett instead of Hameed in Bangladesh was strange, especially when it seemed pretty clear from the beginning that he wasn't going to be the opener in India. He stumbled and was invevitably dropped for Hameed, who then gets injured and instead of returning to the original, they bring in another lad who can actually play a forward defensive and attack when necessary.

The top order is failing too many times. I've just gone through all of the scorecards from the English summer onwards and we've been 4 down for under 100 in 12 different innings. If it weren't for Stokes and Bairstow, we'd have been absolutely fucked on more than one occasion this year. Cook, Root, and the anyone else who has rotated into opening position and top order have scored on occasion, but they have so rarely fired together.

Some of the bowling decisions have been...interesting. Leach not getting the nod this winter was bizarre. A lot of talk on Cricinfo and TMS about Leach not going appears to be because the ECB are worried of him doing a Kerrigan and being too young/immature and not able to cope with the pressure of international cricket. A bit suspect, you aren't going to find out unless you pick him and on wickets that are going to turn, you need someone who can turn the ball. Rashid has surprised me in how well he's played. I just wish he'd learn to bowl the odd maiden over. Such a key part is being able to stem the run flow and build pressure that way. But I guess the issue with a leggie is that you're going to get a dodgy ball an over. He's picked up plenty of wickets, so he's doing something right. He might put Moeen under a bit of pressure when we go back to a single spinner next summer given current form of both.

The spin issue in the English game is an interesting one though. The changes to the county game last season brought spinners into the game more and meant that guys like Leach have been able to have more impact. Somerset knew their strength was in Leach and his ability to spin the ball. They prepared turning wickets and he delivered. Bringing Dawson out for the last game to carry the drinks was mental. His bowling average was average at best.

Root bringing himself on in the last game was brilliant. Decides he's fed up with garbage, comes on while Cook is off the field and picks up two wickets. Wonderful.

• Paid Members

The problem is England don't trust any of their spin bowling options. So to get in the England side you have to bat. If Leach had gone on this tour they would have used him like they used Batty. He has done well to avoid that, it could have ruined him.

There is still a dearth of spinning talent on the county circuit though. Matthew Carter of Notts has a chance, he is still only young, and the big asset he has is that he is 6'4 and gets a lot of bounce as an off spinner. Obviously like any spinner in county cricket he will have to bat better.

• Paid Members

I've been away from watching cricket (other than Test highlights on 5) for a long time now, used to frequent Edgbaston and watch the joys of Nick Knight and Brian Lara quite a lot but upon starting Uni and then moving to Reading the County scene sort of slipped out my life.

Back in the Midlands now, and Edgbaston is definitely calling.

I may even buy some whites and get the old MRF out the loft.

• Paid Members

Edgbaston is the best ground in the country (obviously with Taunton a close second...) The lovely antidote to the stuffiness of Lord's (which is wank). Plus Warwickshire have some really quality players, Trott and Bell for £12 a day in the CC is worth it totally.

• Paid Members

Well England didn't disappoint this morning did they. Massive batting collapse, some dreadful shots played, Moeen in particular. At least they set a new record. Highest ever first innings score when a team has lost by an innings.

Also news that Jack Leach was not considered for England because of his action. By the sound of it his arm bends more than 15 degrees as he bowls. It's easy to take wickets if you chuck it, look at Murali.

• Paid Members

Amazing how this came out on the day the series ended, almost like they are looking for excuses as to their fucking shambolic selection policy.  I spent about 8 days sitting directly behind the end where Leach generally bowls at Taunton last year, not once did anyone notice him chucking, not once did an opposing team mention him doing it, no umpire mentioned it, not once did an opposing coach mention it, not a single fan from an opposing team mentioned it, despite vast quantities of booze being had. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

The timing is very suspicious Gus. One thing I would say is, if you were sitting behind him you would not be in the best position to tell. You would see his action better from square on to be honest. The other thing is that every ball of the county championship is recorded. I've seen a presentation of what the coached can do to break down both batting and bowling technique with the footage and the software they use. That is probably what picked it up. I would guess he will have to go to Loughborough for further testing.

• Paid Members

Is this ECB coaching level only Lion? Because I think it was 'picked up' solely on this Lions tour. In addition, this is not the reason why they didn't pick him, because if they ever had any intention of doing so, they would have tested his action before the series and sent him to Loughborough. It's revisionist bullshit sent out on the day England got demolished again to try and justify a completely inept strategy of picking fuck-awful spin bowlers who bat. The mere fact they are releasing this today shows that they know that they have dropped an enormous bollock. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I agree that the releasing of this news today is completely an arse covering exercise. As for the filming, they go even further at representative level than they do at county level. I haven't seen enough of Leach to know but my guess would be that it isn't every ball that he chucks it. Does he bowl either a doosra or a really big turning off break. It tends to be the variation ball where the problem lies.

• Paid Members

He doesn't bowl a doosra at all, which is partly why I find this so baffling, and basically bowls off-break with occasional top-spinner. He gets quite a lot of revs on it as a matter of course. FWIW Vic Mark's also was absolutely astonished when he heard that he's been pulled for this. Former Somerset, yes, but a voice of levity and former spin bowler.

I just feel for the lad. He's been utterly fucked around by the ECB this summer and they have now done an Alistair Campbell on his in trying to distract from their inadequacies with a press briefing. It's absolutely shocking conduct and he's probably going to spend the rest of his career being labelled a 'chucker' for what I can only assume is a variation ball that I haven't seen before. This is a bloke who two years ago didn't know if he's play again after fracturing his skull in two places and he's been treated like garbage over the last few months. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Like I said this does have a whiff of chinny reckon about it. All I can say is that there had better be something wrong with his action because they are going to look even more stupid than they do know, and that would be difficult after this morning's debacle.

• Paid Members

Also news that Jack Leach was not considered for England because of his action. By the sound of it his arm bends more than 15 degrees as he bowls. It's easy to take wickets if you chuck it, look at Murali.

Always remember Bumble Llyod having that massive rant on Muralitharan after he'd destroyed us. Bumble kicked right off in a press conference branding him a 'chucker'. Cut straight back to the studio and them asking Boycott his opinion, after a tiny sigh he proclaimed;

"Well maybe England should find someone who can chuck it!"