The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I was at the Somerset vs. Nottinghamshire one day game yesterday. About the most incredible day of cricket I have seen live.

We lost (of course), but over 800 runs scored in the day, some unbelievable stroke play, abysmal bowling and 100 overs of T20 style hitting. Outstandingly fun, albeit not one for the purists. A welcome break from the untold saga of misery which is our County Championship form. I'm not buying membership again next year unless they drop the price, I don't care about seeing 4 days of us vs. Derbyshire. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

That sounds a lot more fun than England's dismal semi-final performance yesterday. It was like pulling teeth. All those good performances of the last 2 years, and it meant nothing as soon as we got to a knockout game in a tournament. 

• Paid Members

Pakistan were great though. There wasn't a lot more England could have done. Their bowling was brilliant and there was just no scoreboard pressure when we bowled. A shame, but I'm happy with the progress England are making.

• Paid Members

Well then, that's how you win a cricket tournament. Well played Pakistan. Totally deserved. 

That final made me feel much better about England losing in the semis too. 

Now on to England vs South Africa T20s starting Wednesday night, then the first ever round of day/night County Championship games the week after that. 

• Paid Members

Henry Blofeld is retiring from TMS after the next Lords test match. 

That's hit me more than any retirement in a long time. There hasn't been a period in my life where he hasn't been on the airwaves. He represents so much of what makes cricket a truly wonderful sport in its longer form. A wonderful gift for hitting both the inherent silliness of the sport, while also being able to switch towards conveying emotion in a split second. I'll really miss hearing him a few times a year. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not impressed by this England first test team at all. Ballance back at 3? Dawson in the team? Two spinners at Lord's? Roland-Jones making his debut? Fuck's sake.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Not impressed by this England first test team at all. Ballance back at 3? Dawson in the team? Two spinners at Lord's? Roland-Jones making his debut? Fuck's sake.

I agree. I know that moaning about the selectors is as England as losing the toss or having a batting collapse, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

I also absolutely hate Gary Ballance without really knowing why. 

• Paid Members

South Africa's pacemen will love bowling to him and his fucking concrete footwork.

I don't understand this sudden turn back to conservative team selections. If you've got a six man bowling attack, surely you can find room for Rashid? If it doesn't go well for him then it's easy to hide him behind all the other bowlers. They're obsessed with having as many batsmen in the team as they can get.

• Paid Members

They won't play 2 spinners. Dawson will be 12th man. I'm no fan of Ballance, but whoever they brought in has to bat 3 so Root could go back to 4 which he prefers. 

Just seen that I'm talking out of my arse. Dawson plays. That would seem to be about as negative a selection as you could have

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Clearly talking out of my arse

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Fuck me, it's all coming apart at the seams and it's only just lunch.

It's OK though, because the mighty Somerset are in danger of actually winning a match this season. Cheers Rooty for taking Ballance out of the squad, good decision. 

South Africa's seam bowling attack has been pretty good (he says, having listened on TMS), but the Ballance wicket sounds same old and Cook appeared to be stuck in one day mode. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

It's gone pretty much as it always does for England in tests - crap up top, Root to the rescue, and probably slog our way to about 300 thanks to the middle and lower order. Cook and Jennings looked all over the place. Ballance looked slightly more positive but still not terribly convincing.