The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Moeen has had a wonderful day today. Loved Broad and  Anderson swinging for the houses earlier on too. Also, how wonderful is it to have a test match that looks like it can go five days? Starting to get ill of Test Matches ending on the evening session of day 3.

• Paid Members

I think Hameed's shocking season threw their plans somewhat. They were always going to opt for him over Jennings but he became pretty much unselectable. I'm sure Stoneman will get a look at some point and he has the game to be able to play 3 or in the middle order if that's what they decide to do with him.

I'm a fan of England going with two spinners, nobody ever needs 5 seamers as one often ends under-bowled even if you have 4. But Moeen has shown much better control over the last year or so and they could easily have gone with a more attacking option like Rashid. He would have loved this pitch and he would have offered just as much as Dawson with the bat.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm a fan of England going with two spinners, nobody ever needs 5 seamers as one often ends under-bowled even if you have 4. But Moeen has shown much better control over the last year or so and they could easily have gone with a more attacking option like Rashid. He would have loved this pitch and he would have offered just as much as Dawson with the bat.

It's a weird one. I agree that Moeen has gained more control in the last year, but statistically speaking (from what they were saying on the Cricinfo livecom at least), he's been increasingly duff every consecutive year since his debut with the ball.

I wholeheartedly agree calling up Rashid though. Offers something very different and a more than decent no.8 in this lineup.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I can't be arsed looking it up, but I'm sure that Rashid's first class batting average is almost the same as Dawson's and his bowling average is a fair bit better. So the selection makes even less sense in those terms.

• Paid Members

Rashid's stats are mildly better with the bat and ball. However, Rashid has played more in D1 which does make a difference. I know it means jack shit, but having seen both the sides they play for bollock Somerset over the years, Rashid has impressed me more in person too. Scored a really top drawer century against us in 2014 I think.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Back to the batting 2nd spinner argument, with over 200 First Class wickets to his name Graeme Hick has to be due for a call up. In this era of Central Contracts he doesn't have to worry and will do a job. 

#FiveForAndCenturyInOneGame

• Moderators

Great to see Cook play a proper openers innings, taking his time and the shine off the ball. After the inevitable Ballance fuck up in the first 15 minutes of play tomorrow I reckon we can get to 400 and declare. Would love to see Moeen open his shoulders up again in this match. I used to be a Moeen cynic, but he is world class for a Batting All Rounder. When he learns how to hit the rough he'll be even better.