The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

With this England team, I almost feel like I'm waiting for them to lose a couple of wickets before the excitement starts. With an attacking batsman in the top three, we could really have put South Africa away tonight, especially with them lacking Philander.

Moeen's had a fantastic match so far though. His batting has been excellent for over a year now but he's gone from bits and pieces player to being one of the first names on the sheet.

• Paid Members

I was thinking about Mark Waugh earlier, funnily enough. How he was really unusual in that, despite the fact that he wasn't an out-and-out all-rounder, he bowled in two disciplines. Remember him giving John Crawley a right working over with bouncers on an Ashes tour once. Can't think of any other part-time bowler who bowled two different ways like that.

• Moderators

Alec Stewart's attempt at bouncers vs West Indies in 94 in the Second innings after Igglesden RUINED IT FOR EVERYONE (Steve Watkin was on that tour as well. Should have got far more caps. Especially over Igglesden. Swang and seamed it like fuck) are available to watch on YouTube. Pedestrian medium pace at its worst, complete with appeals not for a wicket but just for "That's a bouncer" from the ump

31 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was thinking about Mark Waugh earlier, funnily enough. How he was really unusual in that, despite the fact that he wasn't an out-and-out all-rounder, he bowled in two disciplines. Remember him giving John Crawley a right working over with bouncers on an Ashes tour once. Can't think of any other part-time bowler who bowled two different ways like that.

I think Tendulkar used to switch between medium pace and spin at various points.

Maybe Andrew Symonds would count if you think of being able to bowl quick enough to use bouncers but switching to spin. But he was more than a part time bowler though.

• Paid Members

Absolutely not a part time bowler, but I fondly remember Alistair Cook switching between gopping off-spin and gopping medium pace between overs in that match against India a few years back. Managed to get Ishant Sharma out with a ball so far down the leg side it was heading off to the concessions Ā stands for a brew and a bag of chips.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Absolutely not a part time bowler, but I fondly remember Alistair Cook switching between gopping off-spin and gopping medium pace between overs in that match against India a few years back. Managed to get Ishant Sharma out with a ball so far down the leg side it was heading off to the concessions Ā stands for a brew and a bag of chips.

It reminded me of when Michael Atherton came on to bowl what were, later in his career, some very rare leg breaks and getting Wasim Akram, one of his best mates, out LBW with one that hit him well outside off. Wasim was fuming.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It reminded me of when Michael Atherton came on to bowl what were, later in his career, some very rare leg breaks and getting Wasim Akram, one of his best mates, out LBW with one that hit him well outside off. Wasim was fuming.

Michael "151 avg" Atherton. Fuck me, Hawking turns more on a sixpence than Ather's horrid spin after fucking his back.Ā 

• Paid Members

Ā 

No wonder the aforementioned Ian Salisbury never made it at test level. Tough to get two world class leg spinners in the same team.

That first wicket which you mentioned earlier Devon is indeed all sorts of excellent.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Not as good as the tour of Pakistan where Marcus Trescothick came on first change and had Inzamam absolutely plumb in front of middle stump but not given in the times before DRS. He had already got his one and only Test wicket, Imran Nazir caught in the covers of a wide swinger by Ashley Giles.Ā