What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
I'm sure I've mentioned before that I'm basically gay for Timothy Olyphant but it's an absolute joy to see an actor take such a hold on their character that you believe every single thing he does, from actions to dialogue to body language.

I've seen up to episode eight of this season. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

The gradual change in his demeanour from when he casually revealed that Arlo was dead, to negotiating how much time off he doesn't need, to the act wearing off and him starting to break down just as he was about to get in the elevator, was remarkable.

• Paid Members
Quick reminder to anyone who doesn't know, Parks And Recreation starts on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. I've never seen it before, so I'll be doing my best to watch.

The first series is a tad slow so if it doesn't immediately grab you stick with it. It's an incredibly warm and funny show with some great characters.

• Awards Moderator
Quick reminder to anyone who doesn't know, Parks And Recreation starts on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. I've never seen it before, so I'll be doing my best to watch.

The first series is a tad slow so if it doesn't immediately grab you stick with it. It's an incredibly warm and funny show with some great characters.

I shall do my best! Thanks for the suggestion.

Justified is indeed ace, perhaps even Houchen will look up from his tofu enough to give it a try.

I finally finished the first series of Hell On Wheels, which Chest was championing. I think it was pretty good in the end, but (and it's not fair) I just kept thinking it wasn't Deadwood.

EDIT: it may have been Fast Eddie in fact, sorry Chest.

Edited by Loki

Hell On Wheels did annoyingly have a constant feeling of not quite being Deadwood. I too liked it though. With Westerns it's all about having the central guy cast correctly. Olyphant in Deadwood was perfect and I though Cullen Bohannon in Hell On Wheels was too. Believable, but understated badasses.

Revolution is cack. I watched for a while as the lead women is rather tasty but it's shite. Not even funny shite like "The Cape". I'm rather surprised it's been picked up again as I thought it would be another "Flash Forward"/"The Event" one-and-done cancellation.

I'd recommend "The Americans" which has just started. Cool 80s Cold War Spy stuff.

• Moderators

Hamish pissing MacBeth because I can't sleep. Don't even know why. Just became a case of "I've not seen Hamish MacBeth in years". Thing is, I don't even think I liked it as a child.

I forgot his dog died in one of them. :(

Thoroughly modern Hamish MacBeth fansite.

EDIT: Ok, this is far far far far far better than I remembered. I didn't remember it being so surreal. It's definitely the best of the Sunday Stink dramas which I've seen, and I've seen Lovejoy! A weed smoking, law breaking copper who couldn't be doing with the city police so hardly arrested criminals. Ghosts, loads of mental psychics. Fuck this is fantastic. I'm taking it off The Sunday Stink list, as it shouldn't be put in a box with BallyK and Monarch of the Glen. Definitely worth a revisit. They're on youtube.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator

When's South Park due back?

EDIT: Butch's 'Sunday Stink' phrase has got me wondering - do today's generation of younguns feel the same way about the likes of Call The Midwife as we did about Heartbeat, Ballykissangel et al?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Then stop watching it before season 5 because it gets shit.

I really liked the last episode of Derek, despite everything. Even despite the Coldplay song. Kerry Godliman's very, very good.

Does she play the woman who runs the care home? If so, I agree. It was a nice ending, but the show still bemuses me (the 10-minute Coldplay bombardment seemed like a regular occurrence in the episodes I've seen). Gervais's performance is terrible. Seems modeled on Timothy Spall playing that rat bloke in Harry Potter, the way he scurries about everywhere.