UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

It's more likely to be Latin isn't it?

The origin of the word suplex is Latin sub "under" and plexus "an intricate network or web-like formation"

That's from Wikipedia and uncited.

As far as I know, it originates from French. Supple or flexible translates as souple and suppleness/flexibility as souplesse. Not 100% sure but I think the move/name originated in Greco-Roman wrestling (where you can't grab the legs) which, despite the name, is actually a 19th century French creation.

The etymology of suplex is unknown, however due to the construction of the word it appears to have routes in a romance language as opposed to a germanic or Latinate.

Although we can't be certain I'd say French is almost certainly the origins of the word.

• Paid Members

I remember catching a Stunning Steve Austin wcw squash match in summer 94 i think it was. I could have sworn he used a fancy submission hold possibly called the hollywood and vine.

Am i imaging this or does anybody have any recollection of this ?

Here you go :

Worldwide - 11/5/94 -

Steve Austin defeated Steve Collins via submission with the That's A Wrap standing figure-4 at 4:32

http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/wcw94.htm

That must be it. I seem to remember him rolling guys up off the ropes like bob backlund would do for his finisher in the wwf in late 92.

I think you're on the right lines, it was almost like an abominal stretch set up rolled through into a leglock. It looked weird, Mexican and naturally fantastic. Maybe even better than the Gibson leglock!

I recently watched a match on Dailymotion vs Kato where he did it, so it's probably still up if you're looking for some evidence.

Somebody in the Themed Raw topic just mentioned the fact there hasn't been an Iron Man Match in WWE for five years.

I started scratching my brain as to who would have been involved in that match and drew a blank. But I then got thinking about how many 60 minute Iron Man matches I can remember and it turns out not many:

1. Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels in 1996

2. Triple H vs Rock in 2000

3. Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar in 2003

I can think of a few 30 minute ones over the years, but genuinely can't think of any more 60 minute ones. I'm sure they must have done more.

Anyone?

• Paid Members

Somebody in the Themed Raw topic just mentioned the fact there hasn't been an Iron Man Match in WWE for five years.

I started scratching my brain as to who would have been involved in that match and drew a blank. But I then got thinking about how many 60 minute Iron Man matches I can remember and it turns out not many:

1. Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels in 1996

2. Triple H vs Rock in 2000

3. Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar in 2003

I can think of a few 30 minute ones over the years, but genuinely can't think of any more 60 minute ones. I'm sure they must have done more.

Anyone?

Chris Benoit and Triple H had one on Raw in 2004. Cena and Orton at Bragging Rights (I think) in 2009.