UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

When did the concept of JR as a great untouchable best commentator ever start? I was reading an old Observer the other day from early in the attitude era and there was a letter in it moaning about him being a shit cliche-spouting knob. He only got worse for that as time went on.

• Paid Members

When did the concept of JR as a great untouchable best commentator ever start? I was reading an old Observer the other day from early in the attitude era and there was a letter in it moaning about him being a shit cliche-spouting knob. He only got worse for that as time went on.

When he started getting bullied onscreen, I imagine. Also, I remember back 99 when Michael Cole took over, he was so rotten it made you appreciate JR a bit more. Actually, in late 97/early 98 JR was playing second fiddle to Cole and Kevin Kelly for the first hour of Raw. They were like Mel and Sue on the announce desk. Each trying to out shit each other, and JR was just sitting there not saying a word. Its funny, because JR couldnt get a world in and Kevin Kelly and Michael Cole seemed desperate to try and show they were fit for the lead announce role. Which makes you wonder if they wanted JR off the announce team as early as then.

During my midlife crisis of watching Superstars and Raw from 94-98 (on fast forward, obviously, nostalgia is cool, but fucking hell some of it is dog shit), I've found JR so unlikable its quite sad. He's just a bitter muppet. And when he had the ability to smile, he looked like a smug cunt who's face you wouldnt get tired of punching. Because he was head of talent relations, he didnt half abuse his power with anyone below Austin, Shawn, Bret and Undertaker. In 97, when Al Snow was kicking off for losing another match, JR totally no sold his tantrum by saying "get over it you goof." He was just a cunt to everyone. His constant digs at WCW were hilariously sad. At least Bischoff was funny with it, which insider remarks and what not. JR said on Live Wire "Bret Hart is the first athlete to win the WWF title 5 times". When someone tried to call him out that Hogan had won it 5 times, JR snapped and went "YOU CALLING HOGAN A REAL ATHLETE? I SAID REAL ATHLETE" and they hung up on him.

An underrated thing over the years (probably a case of favourites getting protected) is that JR is just as bad for his hotline shit as Gene Okerlund was. The teasers you just pure shill. "A member of the Hart Foundation will be on Raw next Monday night, call 0891 299 888 for information". It was Neidhart. Same stuff as Gene, but you just know if you rang the number, JR was going to do what he does on his podcast now. Nagging old twat JR talking about lighting and needing to slow down in the ring.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

When he started getting bullied onscreen, I imagine. Also, I remember back 99 when Michael Cole took over, he was so rotten it made you appreciate JR a bit more. Actually, in late 97/early 98 JR was playing second fiddle to Cole and Kevin Kelly for the first hour of Raw. They were like Mel and Sue on the announce desk. Each trying to out shit each other, and JR was just sitting there not saying a word. Its funny, because JR couldnt get a world in and Kevin Kelly and Michael Cole seemed desperate to try and show they were fit for the lead announce role. Which makes you wonder if they wanted JR off the announce team as early as then.

During my midlife crisis of watching Superstars and Raw from 94-98 (on fast forward, obviously, nostalgia is cool, but fucking hell some of it is dog shit), I've found JR so unlikable its quite sad. He's just a bitter muppet. And when he had the ability to smile, he looked like a smug cunt who's face you wouldnt get tired of punching. Because he was head of talent relations, he didnt half abuse his power with anyone below Austin, Shawn, Bret and Undertaker. In 97, when Al Snow was kicking off for losing another match, JR totally no sold his tantrum by saying "get over it you goof." He was just a cunt to everyone. His constant digs at WCW were hilariously sad. At least Bischoff was funny with it, which insider remarks and what not. JR said on Live Wire "Bret Hart is the first athlete to win the WWF title 5 times". When someone tried to call him out that Hogan had won it 5 times, JR snapped and went "YOU CALLING HOGAN A REAL ATHLETE? I SAID REAL ATHLETE" and they hung up on him.

An underrated thing over the years (probably a case of favourites getting protected) is that JR is just as bad for his hotline shit as Gene Okerlund was. The teasers you just pure shill. "A member of the Hart Foundation will be on Raw next Monday night, call 0891 299 888 for information". It was Neidhart. Same stuff as Gene, but you just know if you rang the number, JR was going to do what he does on his podcast now. Nagging old twat JR talking about lighting and needing to slow down in the ring.

This post is absolutely incredible, and whilst I don't completely agree about everything you've said about big Jim, you've certainly cheered me up. I've got to go back and watch some of these just to see how miserable he is.

His commentary for Austin vs Dude Love at Over The Edge '98 is still superb though, probably won't be as good listening to it now as it does contain a lot of the 'STONE COLD, STONE COLD' stuff people take the piss out of him for but it's still a great job he does with that match, especially after Austin wins

• Awards Moderator

The first time I remember my attention being brought to JR's talents was Mick Foley's first book. Mick put JR over hugely as one of the best announcers ever, and as I tended to agree with Mick about most things he said back then, I agreed with him on that. I still think JR's good, I did at least pay attention to the commentary when he was on, which I don't tend to do now. JR and Heyman were a great combination, or at least that's how I choose to remember them.

Has anyone purchased anything from squaredcircle.com? They have some good looking t shirts on there, but unsure of the quality etc.

I ordered the grey Parts Unknown tshirt a few months ago. Great quality, no fading on the image, and a hard wearing tshirt too. Not a cheap,thin material. And a good fit too. I get XL, and they are nicely fitted. Not like a tent but not skin tight either. Well worth the money IMO.