Official Darts Thread

Dai

• Paid Members

Well Michael Smith is the new world champion and new world number one. I was a fan of his for years, went off completely the past few years due to his petulant behaviour and entitlement. I didn’t become a fan of him again tonight but have to admire it. Well played. We had the greatest leg of darts with both on a 9 darter and MVG missing D12 before Smith took out the 9. He was also on the 9 in the leg he won the game with. He wobbled at times but didn’t choke or beat himself up like the Smith of old. It’s sickening. Very well deserved though. Better player won. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

3 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Well Michael Smith is the new world champion and new world number one. I was a fan of his for years, went off completely the past few years due to his petulant behaviour and entitlement. I didn’t become a fan of him again tonight but have to admire it. Well played. We had the greatest leg of darts with both on a 9 darter and MVG missing D12 before Smith took out the 9. He was also on the 9 in the leg he won the game with. He wobbled at times but didn’t choke or beat himself up like the Smith of old. It’s sickening. Very well deserved though. Better player won. 

“How is he still beating me?”

pictures required please to remind of the pre-smith world

There seemed to be a very consistent mention by the commentator of this being 'the best match ever', unnaturally so and noticeable (to me anyway). After the fourth or fifth time it was mentioned, I could just picture Hearn being like Vince McMahon on the headset backstage, constantly shouting at the commentator to say it. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

“How is he still beating me?”

pictures required please to remind of the pre-smith world

These were indeed better days spacer.png

1 hour ago, Dai said:

There seemed to be a very consistent mention by the commentator of this being 'the best match ever', unnaturally so and noticeable (to me anyway). After the fourth or fifth time it was mentioned, I could just picture Hearn being like Vince McMahon on the headset backstage, constantly shouting at the commentator to say it. 

Well Pyke is absolutely terrible and was all game and that was just awful. He said it very early on as well, I think after the nine. It was a great match with great moments. But a best match ever contender for me and many others I was talking to is when it goes the distance. I still think the best Ally Pally game is Rob Cross vs MVG in the semis. Even this years worlds, the best match was Dirk van Duijvenbode vs Ross Smith. No world championship final will be better than Taylor vs Barney at the Circus Tavern for the pure drama and atmosphere. 

• Paid Members

Brilliant final, loved every second of it. That nine-darter duel was other-worldly.

I’ve no problem whatsoever with commentators getting swept up in what they’re watching and enjoying it with such delirious enthusiasm. I’ve seen Wayne Mardle get some stick before - I bloody love him. The Castleford reference was beautifully done and perfectly encapsulated the madness of what had just occurred, as was his manic laughter during the Mensur 161 checkout against MVG. Pyke and his dentures aren’t normally my cup of tea but I thought he called the final well. And at the time watching live, I genuinely believed it was the best final and one of the best matches I’d ever seen because I was so swept up in it. 

Another great tournament. God bless this ridiculous sport. 

Wayne Mardle was superb. Smith actually tweeted a thanks for how well it was called. I thought Pyke overdid it with best match ever. The potential was there to get close to Taylor/Barney but once MVG started to make more errors it took it back down a little. Still a great final and very good tournament overall. 

Now for the inevitable politics of the Premier League announcement...

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Dai said:

I felt this too. I was enjoying the match, but the commentary definitely laid it on way too thick with the 'best match ever' stuff, to the point that it was actually taking away from my enjoyment. It was a great final in terms of quality but not drama. There's definitely been better ones in recent years.

• Paid Members

Doesn’t help Pyke is an awful commentator who just shouts and overdoes everything. And for someone who’s been doing commentary on darts for so long, he still knows fuck all. I’m no fan of Mardle, but he’s so much better when he’s with John Part. Wrong person lost their voice to be replaced with him.

In recent years the finals haven’t been great as none have gone close or had any drama. When Anderson was in his third final in a row against MVG, he got hammered. Cross hammered Taylor. Same with Price against Anderson. Both Wright and MVG haven’t shown up in finals against each other. Smith bottled his first one against MVG but did better last year. Last nights was the best of the lot since Anderson vs Taylor or Anderson vs Lewis due to some massive moments. The 130 checkout and the D7 with the last dart in hand were real game changers. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

After the disappointment of the Man Utd result, I needed something to cheer me up from this tournament. Andrew Gilding is now a major champion. He had such a great year last year and was runner up in a few ranking events. Now he’s won one of the big ones. Against MVG no less.

I love everything about him (besides his minging teeth). His little walk to the oche routine, the way he grips and throws the dart, his walk on music, the 180 thumbs up. What a man. So happy for him. 

spacer.png

Edited by TheBurningRed

A proper UK Open. A Richie Burnett on a comedown throwing it all away in the afternoon, and a man who you wouldn’t be surprised to see his picture in the local paper for being untoward winning it all at the end.

Also as anMajor winner by rights he should be in the premier league. Imagine that on telly every week.