Official Darts Thread

Dai

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Spoiler- Breaking Kayfabe

The should of darts hitting a board these days is faked. Even when youā€™re chalking a game you donā€™t hear anything as loud unless youā€™re throwing darts at a wooden board. What they do is have a sensory board behind the dartboard, when it is triggered by a dart hitting the board, the sound you hear on TV is a sample of a bass/kick drum.Ā 

šŸ˜² That is a shocker! I just thought it was some really good mics which amplified the noise. I had to google it to find a picture, but couldnt find any. True sign of Kayfabe being alive and well! Google did point to this though:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/is-the-sound-of-televised-darts-actually-a-triggered-kick-drum-sample

James later followed-up with his own on-air ā€˜investigationā€™ on Wednesday, reading an email from Dave Allen, Head of Media for the Professional Darts Corporation which disputed the claim.

ā€œUnfortunately, itā€™s not true that itā€™s a kick drum." Allen says. "There are four holes in the wooden backboard and these have microphones in them to pick up the sound. Theyā€™re behind the 20, 19, 6, 11. If people listen carefully they can hear the difference between his, ie. the triple-20 is different to the double-18, for instance.ā€

Is this literally the same as a wrestler in the 80's trying to keep Kayfabe alive, and hes full of shit?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Manley is always a quality interview ... Thought Helen Chamberlain was really good too conducting the interviews.

I love Manley, probably because of a kinship owing to my resemblance to him, and your lines above bring to mind a fantastic moment when he got Helen corpsing in the middle of an interview:

That's wonderful ... and he followed it up with a Nashism, too! (And then took a whitewashing off Taylor, which he didn't mind because -- channelling Big Kev again -- "I've got Ā£50,000 in my bank".)

Yeah, Wolfie hit some fantastic out shots during the match, especially at the business end of it.

To be fair, it was better on the production and presentation side of things today. Theyve added the kick drum, which makes thing sound alot better. At least the scoreboard was there for every match. Still a few low budget things, such as the microphone not working for the Taylor interview, but generally OK. What the hell does Ray Stubbs look like, though? Unshaven, hands in pocket, and a wrinkled shirt that is far too big for him. Looks like someone standing at the bar at Wetherspoons rather than a presenter.

Judging from Taylor tonight, Thornton at around 9/2 or 11/2 seems like insane value for money. Not just outright, but an EW bet too if he gets to the final. Cant see how hes such big odds when hes averaging 90 in both games.

• Moderators

I tapped out last night during Manley vs Hedman.Ā 

Ā 

Tried again today during Les Wallace vs John Boy Walton and did the same today. The scoreboard was sorted but when they keep the avgs on all the time and they're both sub 75. Fuck me, high end of pub league is higher. So I tapped out again.Ā 

Ā 

As least the camera on the board didn't shake like a shitting dog like it did last night.Ā 

Edited by PowerButchi

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The UK Open starts today (well now), and is on all day the next few days. Always love the FA Cup of darts. This years Riley qualifiers are made up of people who have lost their tour card like Jelle Klaasen or players who have qualified for the worlds the past couple of years. Riley qualifier and UK Open favourite Paul Hogan is in again though. Expect an upset from him.Ā 

Being on ITV4, the commentary will be dire. And during the daytime youā€™ll get lots of adverts about donkeys working as hod carriers and starving children to cheer you up.Ā 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members

A few years ago I didnā€™t mind him. But then he started acting petulant and expected to be handed trophies because of all the hype around him since his younger days. Heā€™d start getting the hump when he wouldnā€™t hit a 180 every visit and beat himself up so much about it. It was pathetic. Imagine Price, MVG or Wright getting that upset at only a 140. Theyā€™d never have won anything.

It was that, his arrogant statements, his disrespect on camera to Durrant during a game on tv and crying halfway through the worlds and matchplay final when he was losing that finally put me off him.

I wouldā€™ve loved to have seen his face when Lisa Ashton beat him on the pro tour last year. I canā€™t imagine heā€™d take losing to a woman well at all.Ā 

One thing he will win at, heā€™s going to have more runner ups in tv titles than Terry Jenkins at this rate.Ā