Official Darts Thread

Dai

10 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I use the corona lighting system. It’s probably the best one out there. Although one of the magnets has fallen out twice and I’ve had to superglue it back in. But it’s the one we also use for our pub team and a few other teams use it too. 

Cheers for the recommendation. It's available at the Argos up my road so I think that's the rest of my day sorted! 

Anderson/Cross was a fun match. Seemed like Anderson was cruising to a 4-1 win, but somehow bottled it, so Cross won it to make it 3-2. Anderson crumbled at this point, and seemed like he'd lost his head completley. This in turn allowed Cross to really step it up and fight back into the match. When you think Anderson is done, he somehow scrapes enough legs to win the match. Cracking stuff. Im no expert, but why on earth would Cross go for the T19 in the critical leg instead of the 18's, when he was on fire with the T18 scoring through the match. Makes no sense at all, and something he must be regretting now.

Wade looked solid, if unspectacular, Hes made it to the Quarter Finals and not hit a single 180 in the tourney, which is proper mental.

Something else which is proper mental is that I started this thread over THIRTEEN years ago. That seems crazy. Interesting to see some of the names mentioned on that first page. Dobromyslova paving the way for Sherrock. Most players now either retired or well past their prime. People like Anderson/Wade/Merv/Van Gerwin still going strong.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Dai said:

Im no expert, but why on earth would Cross go for the T19 in the critical leg instead of the 18's, when he was on fire with the T18 scoring through the match. Makes no sense at all, and something he must be regretting now

Yeah that was stupid. I know he’s confident on the D16 which is why he want that way. But he should’ve gone shanghai on the 18s. Especially after hitting a 162 and a 144 out with the 18s and how good he is on them in general 

Cross was like his old self against Gurney and I expected him to blow Anderson away as Gando is very inconsistent these days. I don’t want a Price-Anderson final again as Gary will get smashed. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

He could be Paul Heyman’s long lost brother, couldn’t he? “Open a window”. 

He used to play Super League in Clwyd County and when he played in my old local the Hampden Arms he was christened B. O. Baracus. He fucking stank. 

Couple of belters tonight. Rydz put in a hell of a performance, but Wright just had that tiny bit more class and bottle. His double double finish, at that point in the match, was a thing of beauty.

Thought Price was going to do his usual thing and claw to victory, but it just didnt happen for him. Smith's scoring was incredable, and he was nailing the doubles too. Great stuff.

Is there any other sport in the world where things change so quickly, in terms of results. Case in point, Price has a dart to win the match 5-3, misses it, then within about 3 minutes is 2 legs down in the deciding set. There was a point in the Wright match where Rydz has darts to go 2 sets up but missed them, then it all changes within seconds, and hes level in sets and down in legs. Not much tops watching darts when its like that, as its an emotional rollercoaster .

• Paid Members

Fantastic night of darts. Felt for Rydz. Thought that match was gonna go to sudden death. Deserved too. I think Wright will do it again now.

I used to be a big fan of Michael Smith. Then despised him. I still do. But I’m glad he beat Price. It seems he may have changed his mentality as he normally would’ve bottled that and had a bit of a cry. 

19 minutes ago, Dai said:

Not much tops watching darts when its like that, as its an emotional rollercoaster .

MVG vs Cross in the semi finals from the year Cross won is one of the best examples of this. It’s the greatest sport in the world. 

• Paid Members

Two fantastic matches tonight. As close as Rydz and his combover came to winning, I never 100% fancied him for the job. The closer he got to the line, the more he struggled to keep it together. Wright almost fucked it completely, and with the amount of doubles he fluffed I wouldn’t fancy him out of any of the other three heading into Sunday, but his experience served him well to get over the line.

Price will be absolutely raging at having lost that. A nine darter and then a couple of match darts to seal it, and got clinchers. Fair play to Smith for getting the job done.

I’m ambivalent when it comes to the crowd element but the rollercoaster nature of the matches were something else. Great tournament so far. 

Smith dealt with Wade fairly comfortably. Wade couldnt keep up with the scoring, and seemed like he had to keep hitting great finishes just to stay close to Smith.

Wright/Anderson was a belter. Huge scoring from both. Looked like Wright was going to easily win, but Anderson didnt crumble like he usually does, and fought back really well to make it a really fun and tight match. If Wright plays like this in the final, he has a good chance of winning it. I assume he'll be an underdog in the betting, so may have a punt depending on how big of a dog he is.

• Paid Members

Wright to win it for me. He has more of a killer instinct than Smith and is the best player in the world when he’s on his A game. Even with Gando coming back, I couldn’t see Wright losing. I remember the Masters final when it was 10-10 and Smith was on tops and Wright hit a 171 to leave 16 and the pressure got to Smith and he lost. I don’t think that’s the same Michael Smith. But it’s still there under the surface and the bottle can go any time. And it shows the difference in class between the two that’s still there. 7-4 win for Wright. 

• Paid Members

Better world championship final from Smith but no luck. 2-0 up and a leg away from being 6-4 up and it got away from him. Wright had been playing so poorly and found the quality he has to run through Smith to win it.

Smith seemed better mentally throughout to win over some fans and win some back, and then showed his old entitled self by saying he must’ve done something wrong in a past life to lose again. Wright got scarred so much losing so many finals, most of them to MVG. And never got thar negative. If he can sort his head out and not beat himself up, he’ll win this one day. 

• Moderators

It's probably been the best tournament in my memory to be honest. Final might not have been to the quality of the past few rounds, but games like Smith vs Clayton, Dobey vs Humphreys and Wright vs Price are real dyed in the wool (Lakeside) classics. 

The crowd has been absolutely awful this year though. Anyone not English has been completely eviscerated by the crowd other than Gando, and if it happens again next season I'd probably move it elsewhere. Noticeably tonight on several occasions the crowd noise was turned down. 

So, my tip for next year? Martin Adams. I can see him maturing on the big stage next year. 

Wright actually turned out to be a slight favourate, so unfortunately didnt bet on him.

BurningRed, you summed it up perfectly in the last post; Wright has more killer instinct. That was the story of this match. Not much between them in the scoring, but Wright just had more nerve and was more ruthless when on the doubles. Smith, 5-4 in sets up and 2-0 in legs up, with the throw, and not winning the set was the critical part. Great run of legs by Wright from this point, and showed the killer instinct.