Official Darts Thread

Dai

• 9 months later...
  • Paid Members

The real Christmas starts tonight. The world championships. I’ve managed to get my work schedule sorted around watching almost the whole thing. Luke Humphries is the overwhelming favourite after winning three majors in the last four tournaments. I think he will go all the way. He does well at the worlds. He’s got to three quarter finals before but this year he’s a whole different animal.

Others around him on the order of merit can’t be ruled out. But despite winning a few things this year, Smith, MVG and Wright aren’t in the greatest of form. I know that can all change. MVG and Wright always turn up for this. I don’t think Smith retains. He’s been very poor for most of the year. Price will be a favourite despite the fact he hasn’t won a major in two years. 

Personally want anyone from Aspinall, Chizzy, Bunting, Gilding, Rock, Gary Anderson or Searle to win. Big ask but Aspinall and Gilding are major winners this year. 

One to watch is Luke Littler. An incredible talent at 16 years old (Although looks like he’s pushing 30). Might be too early for him yet, but he is the future of darts and will definitely surpass what others thought  Leighton Bennett would do. 

• Paid Members

As always I’m hoping Jonny Clayton will come good.

Really looking forward to this year’s event, although I’ll regret saying that after hearing “Boring, boring tables” for the 50th time and your standard first round game taking 30 darts per leg.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Luke Littler, what a player. Making his debut in the world championships at 16 years old and wins 3-0 with a 106 average. Conceded two legs. No nerves. Looked like he belonged. It’s sickening the talent he has and has had for the past few years now. I’m only slightly jealous. An actual dark horse. I don’t think he’ll win it like Rob Cross did first time, but I wouldn’t put it past him. He’s playing again tomorrow night against Andrew Gilding which should be a great match. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members

Yeah the occasion might do. When/if he comes up against a proper big name. Gilding is a major winner and no push over, but you’d think if he was up against someone like MVG the nerves will be there. He’s won 18 titles this year already though. Like I said on day one, he’s everything Leighton Bennett was destined to be. Littler and Beau Greaves are the future. 

• Paid Members

Because of how much he’s dropped off in form and average wise since he won the BDO Youth Championship in 2019. Just before that he had that fantastic match with Phil Taylor and was just doing amazing things on the oche against big names and the youth circuit. Struggles to win games now, shit averages, only won 7 titles in the past four years since winning the Youth Worlds but nothing of significance. Crap on the Development tour as well. 

I think there was too much hype too early on so maybe pressure got to him. He might’ve lost interest and the hunger he had as he’s getting older. That happens.

He does have a terrible attitude though which you’d hope he’d grow out of if he does stick around. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• 2 weeks later...

It was supposed to be a blockbuster evening, but turned into a bit of a damp squib. Once Bunting lost the 2nd set, his head just went. Felt bad for him, he seems like a nice guy and is clearly very talented. Hope he can put it together soon.

Michael Smith didn’t look like he’d recovered from the mind games of  “Madarse” (c. Glen Durrant) the other night. Didn’t help that he was playing Dobey, who was relentless and clinical.

Hoping that Barney vs Littler delivers a bit more this evening. Littler needs to keep playing with that freedom that he’s had so far.