Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

To be honest, behaviours in isolation don't really tell you a lot. Have you got any other concerns around her development or things she is doing? Is she hitting milestones etc? @Browser Brady my niece got in trouble for biting in nursery on a few occasions but she never really did anything else, she's 16 now and has no behavioural issues, it was just a phase she went through.

Posted
4 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

I make her look me in the eye to show that i’m not happy.

Hope it all works out well for you all. 
 

just quoted the above as if there is anything more underlying then something like expecting eye contact can be really challenging for a child especially if there are other factors at play. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Hope it all works out well for you all. 
 

just quoted the above as if there is anything more underlying then something like expecting eye contact can be really challenging for a child especially if there are other factors at play. 

Really ? I never really considered that…. I’ll maybe cut out the eyes thing. 

Hmm. Yeah she has hit her physical and mental milestones fine.

She started off biting when someone was trying to take a toy off her at Creche.

She moved on then to pinching and now she is seemingly just pushing innocent kids over….. 

 

Edited by Browser Brady
Posted
1 hour ago, Browser Brady said:

Really ? I never really considered that…. I’ll maybe cut out the eyes thing. 

It’s something that a lot of children can struggle with, more so on the SEN Spectrum, again not alluding to that at all just something to be mindful of. 
 

Definitely speak to the nursery and ask what exactly she is doing and what strategies are being put in place. 
 

Posted

All behaviour is communication and biting or hitting tends to be a sign of frustration at not being able to communicate about a need. From the info here it could be she's not able to let other kids know that she wants to play or that she'd like a go on whatever toy they have.

It usually has a build up so one of the things to consider is whether staff are noticing or picking up on other non-verbal cues before it escalated to biting or hitting. There's a good fact sheet and some general things to try from the Welsh government https://www.gov.wales/parenting-give-it-time/guidance-and-advice/tricky-moments-and-behaviours/biting

 

 

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Just had my 11 year old run down stairs in floods of tears because she accidentally put kisses in the year 7 WhatsApp group and the little savages were absolutely rinsing her. One little scamp was quite persistent and mean so I just told her to put “Everyone makes mistakes, just ask your mum and dad.” Classic put down for all occasions. Mayhem ensues, the little scamp is threatening to assault her so are his mates, everyone is ganging up on her and she’s distraught. You guess what’s coming yet? Yeah, the persistent little scamp’s dad died on Sunday apparently. Needless to say I’ll be in work for that meeting.

Posted

My 6 and 4 year old have nits. They have the curliest hair known to man so it’s been a bloody battle and half to get it sorted. Iv’e been itchy since friday, my partner has checked my head several times and it’s all clear but I cannot stop scratching. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
33 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

My 6 and 4 year old have nits. They have the curliest hair known to man so it’s been a bloody battle and half to get it sorted. Iv’e been itchy since friday, my partner has checked my head several times and it’s all clear but I cannot stop scratching. 

The psychological damage caused by a school email sent out to parents that starts "We have had several confirmed cases of headlice in the school...." is immeasurable. Even snorkelling in a bath of Hedrin won't stop the itching.

Posted (edited)

We are trying to pick a school for my eldest at the moment. I never knew this would be such a hard decision. He has his autism diagnosis now (less said about that the better) and a 'diagnosis' of Gestalt language processing to explain his language delay. We are awaiting his EHCP, hopefully it'll go to panel this month but I'm told the is a back log. He should be getting level 4 funding which in theory means he'll get a one to one TA.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all, like it's a big massive decision and if I pick the wrong school for him I'm potentially ruining his life and will put him off education forever. He is only 4 though so I'm probably being over the top. I just don't know what the right thing is to do. I've been told by speech therapy that he won't get in to specialist provision as his needs aren't high enough so to focus on the best mainstream option for him but I still don't know if that's the right thing to do. 

Anyone want to wave a magic wand and predict the future for me?

Edited by deathrey
  • Paid Members
Posted
9 hours ago, deathrey said:

We are trying to pick a school for my eldest at the moment. I never knew this would be such a hard decision. He has his autism diagnosis now (less said about that the better) and a 'diagnosis' of Gestalt language processing to explain his language delay. We are awaiting his EHCP, hopefully it'll go to panel this month but I'm told the is a back log. He should be getting level 4 funding which in theory means he'll get a one to one TA.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all, like it's a big massive decision and if I pick the wrong school for him I'm potentially ruining his life and will put him off education forever. He is only 4 though so I'm probably being over the top. I just don't know what the right thing is to do. I've been told by speech therapy that he won't get in to specialist provision as his meds aren't high enough so to focus on the best mainstream option for him but I still don't know if that's the right thing to do. 

Anyone want to wave a magic wand and predict the future for me?

Honestly, follow your gut instinct. We had a few options for schools based on the catchment we were in, and after looking round them all (which is definitely the thing to do, multiple visits and meetings if needed)  we opted for the one that we knew our daughter would be happiest at.

I appreciate, as you've outlined, you have other factors that will play a part, but trust your instincts. Also, I'd have lots of questions to ask so you can find out the information most pertinent to your child's potential happiness at that school and you'll land in the right place. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
9 hours ago, deathrey said:

I've been told by speech therapy that he won't get in to specialist provision as his meds aren't high enough so to focus on the best mainstream option for him but I still don't know if that's the right thing to do.

Admittedly it's been a number of years since both of mine got diagnoses but that doesn't sound right at all. I've never heard of medication levels having a bearing on a decision relating to a school placement for an autistic child. Neither of mine are on any meds and that was never a factor in where they were placed. If he is deemed to require one-to-one support (like my daughter has always had) then a mainstream placement might not be appropriate.

Now, when she was in primary school, my daughter was in a mainstream school with a specialist autism department but it was clear that once she went to an outright specialist school when she went into secondary that her first school wasn't the suitable environment for her. Sometimes you only know after the event, so only in comparison could we see she had been in the wrong place, although she coped alright with it. And of course, you may find a mainstream school that has an awesome specialism in relation to your son's specific diagnosis. But from my own experience, I'd say if a kid needs round-the-clock support with their schooling then mainstream would probably not be suitable for them.

You've got loads of time though if he's only 4. In cases like your son and my daughter, schools are not worried about a child 'falling behind' because grades and stuff like that are not a concern. Just take your time with it and seek out all the info you can grab online. You may not get it right but I know it wasn't my fault with my daughter's primary placement and it won't be yours if it doesn't work for your son. Moves between schools are actually expected of these kids and they should be prepared for transitions. All the best with it though!

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, deathrey said:

We are trying to pick a school for my eldest at the moment. I never knew this would be such a hard decision. He has his autism diagnosis now (less said about that the better) and a 'diagnosis' of Gestalt language processing to explain his language delay. We are awaiting his EHCP, hopefully it'll go to panel this month but I'm told the is a back log. He should be getting level 4 funding which in theory means he'll get a one to one TA.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all, like it's a big massive decision and if I pick the wrong school for him I'm potentially ruining his life and will put him off education forever. He is only 4 though so I'm probably being over the top. I just don't know what the right thing is to do. I've been told by speech therapy that he won't get in to specialist provision as his needs aren't high enough so to focus on the best mainstream option for him but I still don't know if that's the right thing to do. 

Anyone want to wave a magic wand and predict the future for me?

If there’s any specialist provision near you, do they have a nursery you could take him to, even if it’s just one session a week? The school our youngest is now at had that and it meant they were part of our first EHCP meeting, and we were able to name them as the school of choice. Even if they don’t have the nursery or you can’t get him in to it, it’s a legally binding document and you can fight to get a specialist school named on there and then it doesn’t matter what the SALT person thinks. It might be worth reaching out to them and seeing if you can get them involved (if they’re willing to be helpful). 

Edited by hallicks
Posted

Sorry @Devon Malcolm, I've just seen that and it was a typo (predictive text on my phone), it was meant to say needs.

I've been warned that the Year 1 transition is where problems are likely to start occuring as it's no longer play based so I will have to wait and see what happens when that comes round. It's reassuring to know that your daughter transitioned to specialist provision for Secondary. Things are a little different where I live as we have middle school system and they transition in Year 4 to the middle school. As for the one to one support, I'm not sure if that is what he will need round the clock or not. His nursery have applied for it (ready for school) but he doesn't have anything like that at nursery and copes well. He will definitely need some level of support at school, I think 50% of the time will probably be adequate but we've played it up a lot for EHCP purposes to make sure he gets a good level of funding.

I have been back to my favourite schools for another visit and a meeting with the SENCo's after open days. The school that I think will be the best fit (very small, proper community school) may not have the resources to support him. The bigger school which has excellent resources is just so so big! I think that's the one we will have to go with. I'm thinking the smaller school as a second choice and maybe just try a specialist provision as my third choice. We haven't even managed to look round it (only one in our area) as they don't appear to have open days and haven't replied to my emails.

Posted
6 minutes ago, hallicks said:

If there’s any specialist provision near you, do they have a nursery you could take him to, even if it’s just one session a week? The school our youngest is now at had that and it meant they were part of our first EHCP meeting, and we were able to name them as the school of choice. Even if they don’t have the nursery or you can’t get him in to it, it’s a legally binding document and you can fight to get a specialist school named on there and then it doesn’t matter what the SALT person thinks. It might be worth reaching out to them and seeing if you can get them involved (if they’re willing to be helpful). 

I have tried that and not had much luck with it so far. Did your child also go to mainstream nursery? How did they cope? My son currently goes 3 days a week and loves it. On days he isn't at nursery he will run and grab his uniform from his wardrobe and ask to to go to nursery 'go see (nursery workers name)'. We are upping him to 4 days after Christmas but I'll keep trying for the specialist provision. For that and see if it's an option. I will say, the SALt worker has been brilliant with him and her saying that his needs aren't high enough was off the back of me asking off the record if I should be looking for mainstream or specialist provision for him. I wanted some professional input as I am scared of making a big mistake. I have a lot of experience with EHCPs from my job but it's at secondary level, primary is a whole new learning experience for me.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...