General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I thought Monsters was fantastic. I was really pleased that it was nothing like I expected it to be.

Yeah, I think I'll enjoy it more going back and watching it now but at the time I was under the impression it was this old school monster B movie that had gotten all these great reviews. I liked it but was let down that it wasn't something it was never meant to be anyway.

• Paid Members

Couldn't see this posted anywhere. I haven't read the reactions yet, but I'd imagine there will be an almighty backlash.

Basically, Paul Feig (of Bridesmaids and The Heat fame. I know...) has announced he will co-write and direct a new Ghostbusters film. And the lead cast will be all women.

Melissa McCarthy is basically going to shit on our childhood.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/08/new-ghostbusters-paul-feig-women-reboot-stars

And many, many other links.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Couldn't see this posted anywhere. I haven't read the reactions yet, but I'd imagine there will be an almighty backlash.

Basically, Paul Feig (of Bridesmaids and The Heat fame. I know...) has announced he will co-write and direct a new Ghostbusters film. And the lead cast will be all women.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/08/new-ghostbusters-paul-feig-women-reboot-stars

I came to post this myself, Punky Brewster! Fucking disgraceful.

I'm betting the cast will be Melissa McCarthy, Rebel Wilson, Rashida Jones and someone out of leftfield like Jodie Foster or Cate Blanchett. And I'll bet Galifiniakis will be there in some capacity.

It's been apparent for a while now that if a new Ghostbusters ever gets made it'd be shit. No Murray was the death knell but Harold Ramis dying proper killed off any hope of a decent Ghostbusters. This is obviously from the perspective of a 30 year old cynical bastard and I'm sure my kids will love it.

I did wonder if they'd try to stick Spengler in it through the magic and wizardry of fx and stock footage but if they can't do one with the original cast then it's best they just reboot it.

• Awards Moderator

I came to post this myself, Punky Brewster! Fucking disgraceful.

I'm betting the cast will be Melissa McCarthy, Rebel Wilson, Rashida Jones and someone out of leftfield like Jodie Foster or Cate Blanchett. And I'll bet Galifiniakis will be there in some capacity.

It's hard to know quite what will come of this until they're a bit further ahead with it, and I had no preliminary interest in seeing this, but... I'd probably go to watch a film if it featured Rashida Jones in a Ghostbusters costume...

• Paid Members

I only found out last night that Rashida Jones is the daughter of Quincy Jones and Norma from Twin Peaks. Mind fucking blown!

Gladders me and the missus saw The Heat at the Electric cinema last year, was dreading it but it was quite good. Melissa McCarthy is funny to be fair, I remember when she had a 30 second part in Go years ago. Interesting that it's taken all these years for her to become well acclaimed, god knows what she was up to between Go and Mike & Molly. Still don't like the idea of others playing the Ghostbusters. I haven't and will not watch the new Karate Kid. Just wrong.

I'm guessing the line-up will be Melissa McCarthy, Kirsten Whig, Amy Poelher or Tina Fey and a young bit of stuff- Aubrey Plaza (mmmm) or Emma Stone (meh).

Edited by PunkStep

• 2 weeks later...

24 Hour Party People prequel in development

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/revealed-24-hour-party-people-7956930

Doesn't sound too promising.

Also a remake of Cabin Fever is in the works for some reason. The original only came out in 2004

• Paid Members

Control is the only remotely interesting thing that could come from doing a 24 Hour Party People prequel and seeing as that already exists, and is fantastic, this seems a little redundant. All the good Happy Mondays stories have already been done in the first one, too, so fuck knows what Ryder's doing.