General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Moderators

Teaser trailer/animation showreel for the new CGI Popeye film from Genndy Tartakovsky (the creator of Dexter's Lab).

I thought he'd be a dated hard sell to today's kids but Popeye is back for a new generation. Genny really loves Popeye and it seems much more in the spirit of the original than the Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks,Yogi Bear and all the other dead cartoon characters that have been resurrected in CGI recently did.

That looks pretty decent! The beauty of Popeye is that all he does is beat people (and animals) up. You can't go that far wrong with that as your base for a character.

• Paid Members

Teaser trailer/animation showreel for the new CGI Popeye film from Genndy Tartakovsky (the creator of Dexter's Lab).

I thought he'd be a dated hard sell to today's kids but Popeye is back for a new generation. Genny really loves Popeye and it seems much more in the spirit of the original than the Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks,Yogi Bear and all the other dead cartoon characters that have been resurrected in CGI recently did.

That looks pretty decent! The beauty of Popeye is that all he does is beat people (and animals) up. You can't go that far wrong with that as your base for a character.

Yeah man, it looks like they're using a sort of timeless vibe too which is great, I'd hate it if they attempted to give him a modern edge. I know Tartakovsky from his work on Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack and Powerpuff girls which are all pretty cool with a unique vision and he fucking bums Popeye so I think it's in good hands.

• Paid Members

George Sluizer, who directed The Vanishing, passed away yesterday. If you haven't seen this film yet then you've really got no excuse to have done so yet. It's an amazing and still really original thriller with one of the most devastating endings you will ever see. You absolutely will not regret it.

• Paid Members

Dark Knight? It was just Batmang pissing off on a bike. I thought Begins had the best ending of the lot of them. Which was Batman pissing off with his cape.

Endings that left a dent on me where Seven, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, The Vanishing (1988 version), Eden Lake, The Conversation,  The Thing (1982), Blade Runner, Twelve Monkeys, 2010.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

You might. I watched it when I was about 16 and it still gives me nightmares. Just terrifying.

Greatest film ending of all time? Now there's a topic.

Usual Suspects or Dark Knight.

"Sleepaway Camp" ending scared the shit out of me.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Yes, I love the Dark Knight ending. Haven't seen the other Batman films. I'm a sucker for those types of American speeches while there's music playing and the hero riding off into the sunset. Gives me goosebumps.

Granted, it's far from being the best ever. Definitely one of my favourites though.

I suppose, I am a sucker for a goosebumper, which is why I got goosebumps at the end of Batmang Begins.

Oldman "I never said thank you!"

Batman "And you'll never have to..."

***turns and jumps off rooftop***

Crescendo.

Fin.