General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Probably not news, given it's a sequel to a much maligned sack of bollocks, but here it is anyway:

A new interview with Ridley Scott has surfaced online during his promotional rounds for his latest film Exodus. During the interview Ridley gives a brief update on both his upcoming Blade Runner sequel and the highly anticipated Prometheus sequel! With regards to Blade Runner 2, Scott mentions that "It’s written (and) it’s really good." As for Prometheus 2, Scott offered a bit more insight by adding “it’s fresh” and “getting away from gods and dragons and *beep* If I see one more dragon I’m going to shoot myself. Stop the dragons.” Rather than a dragon, Scott describes his original Alien as “the definitive dragon and he’s a motherf . . ker. The alien’s real which is why it’s probably one of the scariest monsters in film history,” Scott says. “So withPrometheus 2 what I’m trying to do is reintroduce a fresher form of alien in the third act.” The Prometheus “baby” alien was, he concedes, “awfully close to the alien” that tormented Sigourney Weaver. His next one promises to be very different.

We did already know that Scott wanted to get further away from the Xenomorph with Prometheus, much to disaapointment to some die-hard fans. However what is the significance of the Deacon at the ending of Prometheus then? Was it strictly fan service or does Scott have a greater vision in mind?

Last month, Noomi Rapace hinted at what the new protagonists in Prometheus 2 might be, and mentioned God and the Devil. But following Scott's statements today it seems God(s) won't be the focus, but something equally as terrifying, and something all audiences can graple onto and be fearful of regardless of religious background and beliefs.

With filming for Prometheus 2 said to begin late 2015, the projected release date of March 4th, 2016 seems a tad early, however until we know the exact film start-date it's unclear to determine whether or not Prometheus 2 will make that deadline.

Fucking Ridley Scott, he's become like Lucas, shitting on my childhood.  I'm terrified of what he's going to do to Blade Runner.  

He's basically way too busy - he's usually got about 20 projects on the go at the same time, and doesn't give any of them enough attention.  We had some chats with him when we were working on A:I but he was to busy to get involved.

His last good film was nearly 15 years ago (though American Gangster was alright).

• Paid Members

Apparently he's been taking on some projects that Tony Scott had in the pipeline Tone-LĹŤc, so he's up to his neck in a variety of all sorts.

Part of the beauty of Blade Runner is that it's aesthetically wonderful. Imagine how they'll fuck up the visuals of the original alone, by "evolving" the look of the BR universe? Not to mention the fact there'll be no Atari or Pan Am advertisements.

After watching Prometheus and then Alien back to back, it's hard to concede that they're in the same universe, but that's technologys fault to be fair, jarring as it is.

I want Jurassic World to be good, I really do

Me too. It has as much potential to be great as any film I can remember. It'll be gutting if this and Toy Story 4 spoil the previous two trilogies.

Loki - were you meaning the Bigfishadon that ate the shark by any chance? I thought that too. The other dinosaurs looked better but they didn't blow me away like I'd hoped.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the CG at this point, they'll probably be working on it for a few months to come. it's not out until june.

edit: Nice write up of the CGI post-production process https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2ndx0r/the_full_jurassic_world_trailer/cmcs22y

Edited by ultimo the great

It was the landscape shots that really concerned me.  The gate over the river that opens up to a vista, looked really dodgy, and some of the shots of the attractions in the park and the crowds were obviously CGI.

Dinosaurs have to be CGI - but the other things don't.  The original film has aged beautifully because they only used CGI when they absolutely had to, relying on animatronics and good old fashioned set building most of the time.

It was a sad day when Spielberg finally jumped fully on the CGI bandwagon.  Even though Tintin was great, it was the moment where one of the great classical filmmakers put down the camera and started relying on computers.  Up until then he'd used it as a tool.

I'd much prefer practical effects as well but a movie this size will never feature puppets or animatronics as the main featured creatures/beasts/thing again sadly. they see an audience that has grow up with Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter and the Marvel films and feel they see practical effects as cheap or hokey. Same goes for 2D hand drawn animation, audiences don't want it.

I can see them maybe having a scene like the Triceratops breathing or the egg hatching scenes from the first but all the main dinosaurs will be CG. The landscape shots do look brutal but i kind of expect that in a blockbuster in 2014, everythings always fake looking or looks like a trailer for an Xbox game.