General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I watched "Moonrunners" the other day. It's the movie that Dukes of Hazzard was based upon. Very disapointed in it, 4/10 and that's being generous. It's more gritty than Dukes but the characters are all fairly unlikable and the plot unbelievable. Uncle Jesse and Rosco P. Coltrane are both in it but played by different actors, the other characters are different but the same basic archetypes as the TV show.

I have "The Sweeney" with Ray Winstone to watch, also "Aces High" with Malcolm McDowell. Anyone seen either of them?

• Paid Members

The Sweeny is a good british action yarn. Iffy script, and plot holes you can drive through, but is you want 90 minutes of cop action, you'll love it. Too many people compared it to the original, which is why it got a bit of a pasting. It's a different time, and the movie reflects that.

The only thing I really had a problem with in that movie is the relationship Winstone's character has with the woman who's name wasn't all that important. It didn't come across at all believable, not just in the sense that she's smoking hot but in the sense of why anyone would want to spend any romantic time with him.

• Paid Members
The only thing I really had a problem with in that movie is the relationship Winstone's character has with the woman who's name wasn't all that important. It didn't come across at all believable, not just in the sense that she's smoking hot but in the sense of why anyone would want to spend any romantic time with him.

Yup! Thats one of the plotholes!!

• Paid Members
While we were all set to see Blomkamp's newest film since DISTRICT 9 on March 1, we have no choice but to wait a little bit longer now, with Sony/Tri-Star pushing ELYSIUM back to that August 9 release date vacated by the ROBOCOP debacle.

It was absolutely worth the wait.

The real star of the move is

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Sharlto Copley.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
The Sweeney is a good british action yarn. Iffy script, and plot holes you can drive through, but is you want 90 minutes of cop action, you'll love it. Too many people compared it to the original, which is why it got a bit of a pasting. It's a different time, and the movie reflects that.

Everything held up to the original except, um, the lead character himself. It's just Ray Winstone in cosplay "Doing what you have to" doesn't acquit you if you look like you're enjoying it.

Yup, and that he gets over her death in about 3 seconds and still treats her arsehole-that's-not-really-an-arsehole husband like shit.

Ignoring all of the above, I didn't really pay

Sad news for Ghibli fans. Hayao Miyazaki announced he's retiring, The Wind Rises being shown at the Venice Film Festival will be his last film. Link

Wouldn't be surprised to see Isao Takahata do the same after The Tale of Princess Kaguya is released at the end of the year. Could be the end of Ghibli.

• Paid Members
Sad news for Ghibli fans. Hayao Miyazaki announced he's retiring, The Wind Rises being shown at the Venice Film Festival will be his last film. Link

Wouldn't be surprised to see Isao Takahata do the same after The Tale of Princess Kaguya is released at the end of the year. Could be the end of Ghibli.

Really sad, that :(