The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

As requested by Dave Beaste, here's some Explosions in the Sky - glorious atmospheric instrumental guitar shit from Texas. The first may very well be their best track, from their best album - The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place, and the second is a taster from their ridiculously underrated EP - The Rescue.

Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine

Explosions in the Sky - Day Six

Edited by Parkamarka

The Rescue is very difficult to find in CD format these days as it was apparently only available to buy at selected live shows, luckily the band have provided MP3's on their website so you can download the whole album. Go here and click The Rescue.

They had The Rescue on sale when I saw them last month, but unfortunately I didn't have enough money on me at the time to buy it :(

Hopefully they have it on sale at the London show tomorrow (presuming they get here), although I don't like it anywhere near as much as any of their albums.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945

A lot of people probably already know this band, but if not then you really should give them a listen. In An Aeroplane Over The Sea is an all time classic album, and this is one of the most immediately likeable songs from it in my opinion.

This song rules. Kinda Doves-ish, but very uplifting, and a good summer tune:British Sea Power - Please Stand Up

I was listening to the album on the train this morning. The Land Beyond is superb and Oh Larsen B is probably best song about an iceberg ever...Anyway, here's my contribution for the day:-http://www.sendspace.com/file/me91p1Mylo vs Miami Sound Machine. If you're not at least tapping your foot to the song, there's something wrong with you. Or at least my taste in music in my old age.

This is a remix of the superb opener off the latest album from The Shins. It takes the away the building guitar crescendo of the album version and replaced it with a laid back electronic vibe, which reminded me a little of the Junior Boys album. I've included the original as well for anyone unfortunate enough to have not already heard it.

The Shins - Sleeping Lessons (RAC mix)

The Shins - Sleeping Lessons (album version)

Guest jaymz_is_god

I've been a bit quiet in this thread this week. I'd say sorry but I rarely get comments on what I upload, anyway ;)I'm quite surprised this band hasn't popped up yet, I give you 65daysofstatic - Primer.

I was gonna post a 65daysofstatic track, but I see you've beaten me to it. Good choice :thumbsup:

Tom Waits - 'Better Off Without A Wife'

Here's a nice little ditty from back in 1975 about the many joys of being single. This comes from Tom's forth album 'Nighthawks At The Diner' which was unique as Tom decided to invite a small group of fans and guests into the studio and recorded the whole album as if it were an actual live performance. Between the songs Tom tells jokes, shares stories and anecdotes giving the album a really mellow Jazz Cafe or Comedy Club sort of vibe which really enhances the record.

My song of the day is the utterly fantastic "Have A Good 'Un Girl" by Captain Everything. These guys are my favourite band in the UK right now - saw them live supporting Lagwagon last week and they were just incredible, so tight for such a fast band. The song here is only 40 seconds long so you've got no excuse to at least check it out.

Guest jaymz_is_god

My song of the day is the utterly fantastic "Have A Good 'Un Girl" by Captain Everything. These guys are my favourite band in the UK right now - saw them live supporting Lagwagon last week and they were just incredible, so tight for such a fast band. The song here is only 40 seconds long so you've got no excuse to at least check it out.

I must say I enjoyed that. If you don't smile listening to that, you're dead inside.My offering for today is Machine Head - Message In A Bottle. Metalled-up cover of The Police's classic track. Enjoy.

After receiving a comment about one I've posted (Yay!) have another Hope Of The States song

Hope Of The States - Blood Meridian

This song has a cracking video based on an old Commie propaganda vid. At their gigs they used to have images and films projected on the backdrop, hardly the first band to do it but I've never seen it done so well, no image was there for the hell of it, everything worked.

EDIT -

Edited by Keith Houchen

After receiving a comment about one I've posted (Yay!) have another Hope Of The States songHope Of The States - Blood MeridianThis song has a cracking video based on an old Commie propaganda vid. At their gigs they used to have images and films projected on the backdrop, hardly the first band to do it but I've never seen it done so well, no image was there for the hell of it, everything worked.EDIT -

I resisted taking the first track, as I'm still determined to buy the album. I thought their debut was excellent. Wonder if this track influenced by the Cormac McCarthy novel of the same name?