The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

I listened the hell out of Beirut driving across the States last summer. Quite inappropriate in some ways, given that it's pseudo-Balkans gypsy folk... But actually not really since the guy behind the entire project, Zach Condon, is a kid from Alberquerque who made it in his bedroom (the music, I mean). At first it sounds distinctly European but the more you listen, the more influenced by US indie-rock it sounds. I still love this song after about a million listens, it's very simple and very great:

Beirut - Postcards From Italy

Here's the title track to Neurosis' new album Given to the rising, really Neurosis have the best riffs in metal and I'll challenge anyone that disagrees to fisticuffs.Puts all the still good Neurosis wannabe bands like Isis back in their place.

I don't 'get' Neurosis, I know a guy who raves about them constantly and always whines about how Isis 'ripped them off' or whatever but I can't help but find Neurosis tiresome, it's like, their songs feels as though they're building up to something but that something never comes. It's exactly the same here, as I was listening I kept thinking "oh, there's a big crescendo looming" only for the song to either start over from scratch or change pace completely, I don't want to get involved in an Isis Vs Neurosis debate because I've had it more times than I care to admit but after hearing this song my opinion of Neurosis remains unchanged.

Perhaps not a tune for a Saturday night, but it's there for Sunday morning:-

http://www.sendspace.com/file/agnrjk

This is off one of my favourite albums of last year - Howling Bells debut. At a time when most indie guitar bands were trying to be post-rock or revive the spirit of punk, they decided to sound like a road trip through the desert. And Juanita Stein has a fantastic voice too.

• Paid Members

I listened the hell out of Beirut driving across the States last summer. Quite inappropriate in some ways, given that it's pseudo-Balkans gypsy folk... But actually not really since the guy behind the entire project, Zach Condon, is a kid from Alberquerque who made it in his bedroom (the music, I mean). At first it sounds distinctly European but the more you listen, the more influenced by US indie-rock it sounds. I still love this song after about a million listens, it's very simple and very great:Beirut - Postcards From Italy

I heard that song a couple of months ago, it's fucking brilliant.