The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

So if I want to sleep in the same bed, nay house as her any time in the next decade then I have to plug them.
So are they, like, looking over your shoulder, making sure everything you look at on the internet in some way promotes them?If you don't like them, fuck plugging them. This thread is for good music. Namedropping only works if the band's either famous or good. This band is neither.
Trust me. Women ALWAYS know

Righto, here's one of my all time favourite tracks by my all time favourite band. 'Burning Wheel' by Primal Scream...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m9q1mb

And a song by a young French lass called Yelle, 'Je Veux Te Voir', which I totally can't get out of my head at the moment. A catchy, dancey, hip-hop kinda number...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g3qgc2

Here's a little M. Ward all up in your bank holiday Monday. Shame it's not a bit sunnier...

M. Ward - Vincent O'Brien

His last album, Post-War, was far and away my favourite album of 2006, and soundtracked a great lazy summer. This is off an earlier one, Transfiguration of Vincent, a kind of epitaph album to a friend that died. It's joyous stuff all the way though, as M. Ward's smokey-voiced, timeless songs tend to be.

• Paid Members

Right then, wasn't really feeling up to it yesterday but here's my songs for the day for over the weekend:

The Fall Of Troy - We Better Learn How To Hotwire A Uterus

A nice quick introduction to a band who are an odd combination of hardcore and prog-rock...

The Fall Of Troy - Whacko Jacko Steals the Elephant Man's Bones

A longer song to give you a better idea of the bands sound.

Alice In Chains - Would?

Probably one of my all time favourite songs.

Bayside - Blame It On The Bad Luck (acoustic)

Shame they're not really all that good - their acoustic album barely left my stereo last summer. A quick revisit confirms it's the best thing they've released by a long way.

And my song for today:

Explosions in the Sky - What Do You Go Home To?

Finally got around to listening to the album today and it's truly awesome.

Cheers for "Would?", elegia. I only had it on vinyl, nice one!

Here's mine for today and yesterday.

Mercury Rev - Goddess On A Hiway

Taken from their faultless 1998 album "Deserters Songs". They played at Coventry's free "Godiva Festival" last year. FREE! It was possibly the best gig I've seen them do, I love this band.

Ol' Dirty Bastard - I Can't Wait

Revel in the unique mental genius of the ODB, taken from his N***a Please album. This track samples the theme from TJ Hooker. Sleep well sweet prince.

There's a lot of buzz about this track from Battles, it's been all over the blogs and The Guardian is going nuts for it. As a fan of Don Caballero I really liked their EP collection (the guitarist is from Don Cab) with it's jazzy math-rock leanings, but the new album Mirrored is just an insane mash-up of sounds and one of the freshest things I've heard in ages. Lots of dodgy vocal effects (as in this song) that will undoubtedly rub many people the wrong way, but IMO they somehow add to the whole madness/genius of the thing. Can't wait to see them at ATP as they are apparently phenomenal live.Battles - Atlasedit: album

I'd been meaning to give Battles a go for a while and had seen the buzz about Atlas. I have to say that I was a little disappointed on first listen, and it really wasn't what I was expecting at all. However, after grabbing the album as well it grew on me a lot, and I really love the whole thing. Nice one, the M Ward was great too.A song:Ghosts And Vodka - Futuristic GenitaliaInstrumental rock band from the Cap'n Jazz family tree. I like them a lot.

My song of the day is WigWam by WigWam. For those not in the know, WigWam were a band formed last year consisting of Alex James (of Blur fame) and 90s pop icon Betty Boo. It's catchy as fuck and one of my favourite singles of last year. Unfortunately the single tanked and i'm pretty sure WigWam are now no more. Enjoy.

WigWam - WigWam

I really like that Ghosts & Vodka.

Was listening to this from Stars earlier and I get a buzz off this track every time I hear it. Has there been a greater musical movement in the last ten years than the stampede of awesome Canadian indie bands? Stars are like the unofficial pop division of Broken Social Scene, and this is my favourite of theirs - a shimmering beast of a tune which highlights just how much better they are when Amy Millan takes over the vocal duties.

Stars - Ageless Beauty

Edited by Parkamarka

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Not sure if this will be anyone's bag, but have a remix by Sasha of Grand National's Talk Amongst Yourselves (off Sasha's Involver remix album):-

http://www.sendspace.com/file/aaeq90

Sasha is the world's finest purveyor of breaks and prog house. Grand National are a band who started out as a Police tribute act but went on to release an album, Kicking the National Habit. Which was quite good. Anyhoo, it takes a good few minutes to get going, but stick with it.

If you need a bit more traditional vocals, guitar, bass, drums then:-

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jbz7e5

This is off We are Scientists collection of b-sides and other oddities - Crap Attack. A splendid band and a splendid name for an album. And a top tune.