The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

Took the words right out of my mouth, Vito. My Delta Blues knowledge is limited to one early Robert Johnson album so a blues com would be great.

Anyway- Da Backwudz.

Album is really good, some really jazzy samples ('Welcome 2 Da Backwudz') and Kanye-like sped-up female vocals ('The World Could Be Yours') over bassy, laid back beats. Reminds me a bit of Outkast but not quite as experimental, bit more Southern (especially on songs like 'Getting 2 It')

Buuut.. this had a retro, anthemic guitar riff and is awesome. Just as grand as the vastly more popular 'What You Know' by T.I..

Da Backwudz- Lock and Load

Also, as I'm gonna go seen them next week..

The Melvins- Rat Faced Cranny

Drums~

Charley Patton - A Spoonful BluesThis one goes way back. Thought that Robert Johnson invented the blues? Think again. Charley Patton was the godfather of the blues, and this is his best offering. he was so drunk when he recorded this song, no one has been able to decipher his lyrics.

Ah, well I guess that explains the lyrics in Gomez - Charley Patton Songs - "I spent a lifetime / trying to decipher / Charley Patton songs". The song is actually - inappropriately, I guess - not bluesy at all, but I thought I'd post it anyway, since I mentioned it.Make the blues compilation - you know you want to.My real song of the day is a straight-up slice of indie from The Veils - the album isn't doing too much for me, it's a bit of a dour affair, but this song is joyously upbeat (musically at least).The Veils - Advice For Young Mothers To Be Edited by Parkamarka

• Paid Members

Looks like the UKFF will be getting a blues compilation then. It's gonna take a little while to piece together, I don't do compilations by halves. And with my connection, it'll take a while to upload. Is everybody gonna be ok to use winrar to unzip it?And any thoughts on the songs I posted last night?

• Moderators

It's all great.. I especially like the Otis Rush song, and I was already into Creedence before...

Also diggin that Backwudz track Reg_form posted... Never heard them before... definitely from the better end of the Southern spectrum...

My submission for the evening: Lovage - Book of the Month

A track off of Dan the Automator's wierd love song album, featuring Mike Patton and Jennifer Charles

Edited by Who has called me Hage?

Broken Family Band - Walking Back To Jesus Part TwoAwesome live band who have been on the scene for years but seriously overlooked. Catch them live if you can.

This man know. Broken Family Band are superb live. They were my Glastonbury highlight a few years back when I just stumbled upon them in one of the smaller tents in the Green Fields. Really funny onstage banter, great songs, and a couple up the front even got engaged during the set. It was cool.

This thread's dropped off the main page far too much for my liking recently. Here's a random sixpack of songs, with no theme other than the theme of Me Thinking They Are Great:

The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee

Kidz in the Hall - Wassup Jo'

The Decemberists - Billy Liar

Etta James - At Last

Aqueduct - Growing up with G'n'R

Great Lake Swimmers - Your Rocky Spine

This thread's dropped off the main page far too much for my liking recently.

Aye. I want more contributions from PC316, Weezage and d-d-d-daz especially. :DAnyways, today's tune comes from Sufjan Stevens. If you've never heard of the guy before, this is as good a place as any to start:'Chicago'