The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

There's been some great stuff posted here in the last few days. I grabbed a bunch of it this morning, and must give some love to the following:

[*]65 Days of Static - Primer

[*]Edan - Smile

Both of these are songs I've not heard from bands I intend to see at ATP so much thanks for these. I reckon 65DoS in particular will be great live, judging from what I've heard.

[*]Tom Waits - Better off Without A Wife

[*]Radiohead - Life In A Glass House

[*]Alkaline Trio - Jaked on Green Beers

[*]Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945

[*]Smashing Pumpkins - Here is No Why

Stuff I already know and love, but great to see it pimped in this thread. Nighthawks of the Diner was the album that made me a Tom Waits fan. Judging from the book I'm currently reading, it wasn't very well received when it came out due to the extended periods of Tom's drunken rantings. Strange, because that's one of my favourite things about it.

Agreed that the Neutral Milk Hotel album is an absolute classic, I'd say this is the most immediately awesome song though:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

[*]Captain Beefheart - Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do

[*]British Sea Power - Please Stand Up

[*]Labi Siffre - I Got the Blues

[*]MC Paul Barman - Cock Mobster

[*]Jethro Tull - Song for Jeffrey

[*]Jurgen Paape - So Weit Wie Noch Nie

This stuff is all new to me and all really great. I especially love the Beefheart (there's also a serious hole in my collection there) and British Sea Power (that track really reminded me of something by Bernard Butler... but in a good way).

In summary - this thread rules.

Edited by Parkamarka

Holland, 1945 isn't my favourite from In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, but it's the one that I found the most immediately catchy on my first listen through. When I lent the album to my friend a few years ago he listened to that song about 50 times in a week!

I'm a little behind on listening to stuff posted here in the last few days, but I will catch up on it soon and post some comments.

Here's a song for today:

Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies - Ores

I guess that this is a relatively standard indie rock song by Youthmovies standards, but with their usual mathisms and mid-song changes of direction. It's fun.

Captain Beefheart is brilliant, and everyone should love him. Not sure about the Tom Waits comparrison at all though, Waits was a Jazz guy who became avant-garde later in his career. Beefheart is a blues guy who is just one of a kind in the whole universe. Nothing else comes close.

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band - Gimmie Dat Harp Boy

I've picked this track to celebrate the fact I bought a new harmonica this week :) Some serious blues being blown on that there song.

Captain Beefheart is brilliant, and everyone should love him. Not sure about the Tom Waits comparrison at all though, Waits was a Jazz guy who became avant-garde later in his career. Beefheart is a blues guy who is just one of a kind in the whole universe. Nothing else comes close.

You have to at least admit that the voices are pretty similar. I haven't heard enough Beefheart - yet - to really say, but the two (great) tracks in this thread are very reminiscent of later-era Tom Waits, IMO.

Will download some of the recent stuff mentioned and give it a proper listen later.I second the title track of In the Aeroplane over the Sea being the best."And one day we will die, and our ashes will fly from an aeroplane over the sea,but for now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see"Also, it was discussed a few weeks ago but I managed to download the whole Banner Pilot album/long EP recently and it's really good. Love the Buzzocks cover at the end.After reading a positive review this morning in the Independent I checked out a couple songs from (what appears to be) the fourth album from a member of Broken Social Scene (who I've enjoyed but need to listen to more of) called Feist.myspace.com/feist . Nice voice, quite uplifting pop music. Particularly liked '1, 2, 3, 4'. The awesome Jamie Lidell supposedly guests on the album too.

Edited by Registration_Form

• Paid Members
Oh f*ck thats good.
Bah. Tiesto just followed up on an earlier superior version with an inferior mix. Here's the Ferry Corsten remix of William Orbits Adagio for Strings (from his Pieces in a Modern Style album):-http://www.sendspace.com/file/o2d94gIt sends a shiver down the spine.
Well I liked it. Getting this one too. Thanks for that. Edited by bAzTNM