The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

• Moderators

Most definitely.

I watched for the first time in years a couple weeks back with two mates - one who is s Star Trek fan and the other who isn't and they both loved it. All you need to know about Star Trek is as much knowledge as you will definitely have of it from not having lived under a rock for 20-something years.

This is my hungover, wallowing in my own misery, slumped on the sofa with my acoustic guitar song and it's been one of those days so this has been getting repeated plays. It's so wonderfully done and such a brilliant twist on the original which is, without question, my favourite ever Nirvana song. The original is dark but this just takes that feeling and pushes it over a cliff and considering how little there is in means of intrumentation it's pretty fucking heavy towards the end. This is taken from an E.P she released with Josiah Wolf that features a really good cover of "Aint No Sunshine" in a similarly grim style and featured on the advert for the tv show "The Killing" and is towards the top on the recommended videos list if you fancy giving it a spin.

It's the greatest song of all time. So there.

It is and it isn't Frankie. It's just that middle bit with bollocks about grabbing your that always put me off. If it was just the "I heard the news today oh boy" it would be perfect.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

Woods of Ypres - I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery

I've been listening to these guys a lot over the past week and I'm really getting into them. Their brand of doom is beautiful and David Gold had a fantastic voice. Their stuff is quite eerie to listen to now considering that the singer died tragically in a car accident in December.

I've woken up in a very proggy mood today so I've been playing The Mars Volta's "De-Loused In The Comatorium" album all morning in particular

. The whole album is mental, I got it as a pre-release thing for doing reviews and the bright yellow card sleeve it came in is pretty fucking wrecked from all the plays it got before I finally chucked it on my mini-disc player. Got the CD out of retirement a couple of months back and it still sounds just as mental as the day I got it. Got a lot of love for these guys.

• Paid Members

I saw Mars Volta a few years ago at the Birmingham Academy - no support, they played for two hours ten minutes. Mental gig. Anyway, song of the day = Quasimoto - "Return of the Loop Digga"