The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

I'm currently blitzing the Alan sugar- unscripted book.

As a huge huge fan of the apprentice i was so excited to get my teeth stuck into this and i think it is delivering on all grounds.

backstage stories on the candidates, staff/crew and loads more.

The BAFTA story really made me chuckle because it gives you an insight into the award and the backstabing and bullshit behind that business.

Really recommend it too all of you that love the tv show and like Lord sugar as a human being

• Paid Members

Alan Sugar looks more like a bollock than any other person I have seen. Face like an octogenarians package.

I attempted to read one of his books that someone had bought me as a Secret Santa while on the train. Rancid. It was in the bin by Temple Meads.

Fully behind Houcheykoo with that! The man is a scrote...

On the back of our Keiths recommendation, I'm after ordering Reasons to Stay Alive. It looks like a wonderful read, going by the reviews.

Read the whole thing on a coach between Dublin and Wexford. It was quite apt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well, I got Scott Browns' book.

I'm halfway through it and it genuinely reads like The Hungry Caterpillar or something by Puffin.
"I didnae mind Diouf before. Then I didn't like him."

Now, for the record, I like Brown...I really love end enjoy characters like that in football and he seems a funny bloke, but whoever ghost-wrote the book either has minor learning difficulties or was told to keep it as Broony as possible.

Striking.

On the flip side of that I'm also reading Mark Z.Danielewskis 'The Familiar'. Which has me fucking stumped.

On the flip side of that I'm also reading Mark Z.Danielewskis 'The Familiar'. Which has me fucking stumped.

I bought 'House of Leaves' by him about a year ago and I can't bring myself to read it as it looks like it would frazzle my brain even though I've heard that it's amazing.

• Awards Moderator

I still haven't finished Royal Assassin, but went and bought three books on Friday morning anyway: the final book in Justin Cronin's Passage trilogy, the final book in the Temeraire series, and Neil MacGregor's history of Germany. Looking forward to reading all of them … and then finishing off the Farseer trilogy afterwards!

• Paid Members

I still haven't finished Royal Assassin, but went and bought three books on Friday morning anyway: the final book in Justin Cronin's Passage trilogy, the final book in the Temeraire series, and Neil MacGregor's history of Germany. Looking forward to reading all of them … and then finishing off the Farseer trilogy afterwards!

Are you not enjoying Royal Assassin or just getting distracted?

I read Murakami's Wind/Pinball, which are his first two novels put together. It was pretty good, and it's obvious to see where the influences for After Dark, Norwegian Wood and ColorlessTsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Wilderness came from.

Currently reading another The Secret Footballer book. Enjoyed the first couple, but this one just seems to be a bit more of "look at me how great am I how shit is everyone else lol you can't work out who i am" and it's not quite as interesting. 

• Awards Moderator

Are you not enjoying Royal Assassin or just getting distracted?

I'm really enjoying it! It's taken until 

Verity buggers off to try and find the Elderlings

for me to get properly into it, but I am now into it. It's just I can never keep my mind on one book at a time...

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

I waited years and years to read House of Leaves — sounded right up my alley. Wasn't. Load of tosh.

I absolutely love it. It's just the right side of being wanky for the sake of it, but the elaborate layout does contribute to the central labyrinth story and general schizophrenia.

Not to everyone's taste for sure.