Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Is there anything out there that people would highly recommend I read?

 

I've not long been heavily back into reading over the past year, and have been going on friends recommendations on what to read. Have clocked up all the Song of Fire and Ice books, various "classics" I've never read and not long done the Jurassic park books (plus a ton of other stuff ha).

 

Any "Must reads" that I need to check out?

Posted

Not a fan of sci fi, but Matt Haigs Reasons To Stay Alive is wonderful and helped me through a particularly bad time.

Posted

Just starting "Dune" today, both looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. Heard it very good, but havent read anything this long since finishing the Game of Thrones books.

  • Moderators
Posted

I finally got a Kindle after about 4 years of umming and arring. Is there any tips for getting decent prices on books, as I think I'm being a bit thick operating it. I pretty much exclusively read history/politics/philosophy if that's any help.

 

Free is the best price, right?

 

I check Library Genesis first before I buy anything. I don't have a link right now, but just do a something search for it and you should be able to find a working proxy.

 

They will have a lot of things in the epub format though, which is the general open format for other ereaders, but it won't work on Kindle - there are free online converters available that will turn these into the mobi format (again, just search "online epub to mobi converter").

 

PM me if you can't figure it out / need the direct link.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Cheers to both of you. I'll give it a bash this evening and see how I get on.

 

Edit: managed to work it fine, so thank you. Plus found a site that does academic articles, which is wonderful.

Edited by Gus Mears
Posted

Dune made me feel thick and dyslexic after about 50 pages so I packed it in. There's people out there who will soak up anything that's well crafted with incredible density and derive enormous pleasure from it even if the prose isn't remotely entertaining and maybe it's just me but I see Dune as qualifying as being that kind of work.

 

It's a bit like Eve Online.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Another recco for you, GAF: the Magician trilogy by Raymond E. Feist. The first one, Magician, is generally considered a classic of fantasy. The later two are pretty decent too, although they do in places sometimes feel like he decided to turn a standalone volume into a trilogy following the first one's success. But they're still worth a punt.

Edited by Carbomb
Posted

Class, nice one! You've just rejiggered my memory that I have a mate who loves Feist. One to add to the list for sure.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm currently reading his collaborative trilogy with Janny Wurts (whom I recommended to you before for her Wars of Light & Shadow epic seriea), starting with "Daughter Of The Empire". Good so far, but I'd recommend starting with the Magician trilogy first, though you don't have to. Just that it's set a bit after it, so you might miss out on certain things.

Posted

Dune made me feel thick and dyslexic after about 50 pages so I packed it in. There's people out there who will soak up anything that's well crafted with incredible density and derive enormous pleasure from it even if the prose isn't remotely entertaining and maybe it's just me but I see Dune as qualifying as being that kind of work.

 

It's a bit like Eve Online.

I'm about 20 pages in, so far, and it's ok although it's one of those things were everybody speaks English, 95% of all words are the sam but the other 5% are made up bullshit. I don't mind that much, but for a book that comes with like an extra 100 pages to explain some of the wording used, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy this further down the line.

 

Of the books I own, I have Moby Dick, Dracula, Frankenstein and 1984 to read.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...