Undefeated Steak Posted January 8, 2016 Posted January 8, 2016 Reading What they Don't Teach you at Harvard Business shool. About 2/3 of the way through - excellent book. Read the Undercover Economist before this which was good.
Paid Members Tommy! Posted January 8, 2016 Paid Members Posted January 8, 2016 Fahrenheit 451 sounds very interesting, a very interesting topic and a intriguing setting. Thankyou for the suggestion Chest.
gbacon85 Posted January 9, 2016 Posted January 9, 2016 why don't you try On The Road by Jack Kerouac or anything by Bukowski. I am re-reading The Dice Man for the 4th time. Incredible as always
Paid Members Tommy! Posted January 9, 2016 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2016 Bukowski sounds good, I'll look into some of his stuff. On the road doesn't sound my bag at all sadly.
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted January 9, 2016 Moderators Posted January 9, 2016 On the road is shite. I'm not a big bukowski fan but I get why people like him.
gbacon85 Posted January 9, 2016 Posted January 9, 2016 On the road is shite. I'm not a big bukowski fan but I get why people like him. It's not one of my favourites but thought more for the 'classic' status. My mission is to read more classic literature this year. I haven't read nearly enough
Paid Members Tommy! Posted January 9, 2016 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2016 I went to a second hand book shop today to look fore a couple of the recommendations and a couple of others I fancy and they had none of them. Hundreds of thousands of books and not one of the four I wanted
benbobjr Posted January 9, 2016 Posted January 9, 2016 (edited) I went to a second hand book shop today to look fore a couple of the recommendations and a couple of others I fancy and they had none of them. Hundreds of thousands of books and not one of the four I wanted Try http://www.abebooks.co.uk/ it's like a ebay type site used by lots of second hand book shops across the country Edited January 9, 2016 by benbobjr
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted January 9, 2016 Awards Moderator Posted January 9, 2016 I went to a second hand book shop today to look fore a couple of the recommendations and a couple of others I fancy and they had none of them. Hundreds of thousands of books and not one of the four I wanted This always happens with me and second hand bookshops. I've learned never to go in looking for a particular book - i won't find the one I'm after, but I will end up getting several I never knew I wanted as consolation. Currently reading the first Robin Hobb 'Farseer' book, Assassin's Apprentice. Really good fantasy novel so far, like GRRM but less reliant on dense family backstories and tits. So far anyway.
Paid Members Nexus Posted January 10, 2016 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2016 I went to a second hand book shop today to look fore a couple of the recommendations and a couple of others I fancy and they had none of them. Hundreds of thousands of books and not one of the four I wanted This always happens with me and second hand bookshops. I've learned never to go in looking for a particular book - i won't find the one I'm after, but I will end up getting several I never knew I wanted as consolation. Currently reading the first Robin Hobb 'Farseer' book, Assassin's Apprentice. Really good fantasy novel so far, like GRRM but less reliant on dense family backstories and tits. So far anyway. Brilliant choice, HG. The Farseer Trilogy is up there as one of my top sets of books ever - I really, really love the main protagonists and villains - and the villain especially is completely despicable all the time.
gbacon85 Posted January 10, 2016 Posted January 10, 2016 Think I've mentioned it before but there is an excellent Princess Alice Hospice shop in my town just dedicated to books. It helps that I live in a fairly affluent area so the donations are always excellent, they get run offs and end of line prints from publishers and they also have a load of first edition/signed books as well. Anyway, currently reading Purity by Jonathan Franzen, not far enough into it to give a proper account, but I adored The Corrections (easily top 10 of all time for me) and always have high hopes for his work. But completely consumed by One Night in Turin at the moment which may be the best football book I've ever read and I've read a fair few I can tell you. Seek out if you can, you won't be disappointed
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 10, 2016 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2016 Brilliant choice, HG. The Farseer Trilogy is up there as one of my top sets of books ever - I really, really love the main protagonists and villains - and the villain especially is completely despicable all the time. Love the Farseer trilogy. The follow-up, the Tawny Man trilogy, is also excellent. Been meaning to get into the other Robin Hobb trilogy set in that world - The Ship Of Magic series. Might make that one my next read.
Really Big Shoe Posted January 10, 2016 Posted January 10, 2016 Currently reading: George Harrison Behind the Locked Door by Graeme Thomson A good companion piece to I, Me, Mine & Living in the Material World. One Night in Turin The movie is a must-see too, the 1990 England team with Gazza, Gary Lineker, Shilts, Barnesy, Pearce, Chrissy Waddle, Beardo, Bully, Platt & Terry Butcher among others managed by Sir Bobby is still my favorite England team, a very close second has to be the Euro 1996 squad. Plus you had big personalities at the 1990 World Cup too like Roger Miller for Cameroon. On paper the golden generation of Becks, Scholesy, Stevie G, Lamps et al were better technically, but the other teams I guess you could say had much more heart. Makes you wonder if the 2006 England team had a Terry Butcher/Pearcey type whether they'd have gone all the way and got the finals or even won the world cup. I think that's the only real thing they were lacking, the heart & determination to push on til the end.
Paid Members Nexus Posted January 10, 2016 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2016 Brilliant choice, HG. The Farseer Trilogy is up there as one of my top sets of books ever - I really, really love the main protagonists and villains - and the villain especially is completely despicable all the time. Love the Farseer trilogy. The follow-up, the Tawny Man trilogy, is also excellent. Been meaning to get into the other Robin Hobb trilogy set in that world - The Ship Of Magic series. Might make that one my next read. She's midway through a third Fitz/Fool trilogy, and it's really good. I didn't enjoy the Ship of Magic books as much as the Farseer ones.
Paid Members SpursRiot2012 Posted January 10, 2016 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2016 The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. Really, really enjoyable and a different take on a time travel story.
Recommended Posts