Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ha, fair enough, i think its more the physical action of doing something that I was missing. I loved the book, although the "Sol entries" are all past tense, as in "I did this, then this" and sometimes reads like that. I think If I see somebody physically performing these actions, it may fill in the gaps.

Posted

Just started Jurassic Park , which so far I'm highly enjoying. 

 

When you've finished, head straight into The Lost World. Another great book.

Posted

 

Just started Jurassic Park , which so far I'm highly enjoying. 

 

When you've finished, head straight into The Lost World. Another great book.

 

its on the list, I don't own it yet, but will pick it up in the coming weeks when I've finished this one !

Posted

Reading "Nilsson: The Life of a Singer-Songwriter" by  Alyn Shipton. A few chapters in, but so far Harry Nilsson had a really colorful life and this is before he got into the music biz. Also watched "Who is Harry Nilsson? (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)" as a companion piece, so for fans of his music I'd recommend checking out both. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

There is an outstanding book barn within driving distance that I frequent. It does everything for a quid and does this to the boot of my car.

 

tv2.jpg
 

 

Also echo Scott Malbranque's love of the Rusty Sherriff's Badge earlier in the page. Love me some Viz. Fond memories of nicking my old man's annuals on a regular basis.

Edited by Gus Mears
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

The Library Genesis website is my first port of call for books these days. Man I love the Kindle.

 

Anyway. I got bored of that Aziz Ansari book and am now reading Animal Farm. I just don't really get on that well with non fiction.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
  • Paid Members
Posted

I've been umming and arring over getting a Kindle pretty much since launch. I really should get one with the amount I read, but just can't forgo having a physical copy of a book.
 

I think it's because one of my aims in life is to have enough money to have a library in my house one day. I think I'll have to give in soon and get a KIndle, they're too good. Otherwise I'm going to end up like my weird Uncle Brian who insisted on playing everything on his 4-track until the late 90's and is one of the three people left in the country with a black and white TV Licence.

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

One of my aims is the opposite - to get off my arse and sell all my books on ebay so I can make some space in my study.

 

The Kindle for me has been life changing in the amount I read, as someone who commutes on cramped London public transport every day. I can carry my book with me wherever I go, even when I don't have a bag.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Posted

Loving Jurassic Park at the moment, about 100 pages from the end. So much back story!

 

Picked up The Lost World today, so will go straight into it!

Posted

51NqoggdATL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

 

Loved this. I adore The Mats anyway but this goes REALLY deep. Loads of stuff I haven't heard about before, personally and professionally.It's long but really enthralling - finished it in a day!

Posted

One of my aims is the opposite - to get off my arse and sell all my books on ebay so I can make some space in my study.

 

The Kindle for me has been life changing in the amount I read, as someone who commutes on cramped London public transport every day. I can carry my book with me wherever I go, even when I don't have a bag.

 

Agree 100%. My Kindle has dramatically increased the volume I read, from maybe 1 book a month to 3 or 4. I used to hate the idea of them but I can't imagine going back to normal books now.

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I am reading 'Mysterious Skin' by Scott Heim. 

 

It is a great read which isn't a chore to get through. It is based on gay characters and focuses on childhood and the impact of events on today. Some of the content is a tad adult and could easily offend - having a similar theme to the classic banned novel Lolita. 

 

I recently finished The Bell by Iris Murdoch which was another stunning read though the lack of dialogue made the whole thing a little tedious in places. Tim Weaver's Vanished was also a good, quick read but the ending is a tad flat. 

 

I came across a few stunning books including:

 

More Letters of Note by Shaun Usher - a collection of fun letters from famous people including Sylvia Plath, Marge Simpson, Aldous Huxley and others.

 

The 20th Century in Poetry - a monster of a pretty book which if you like that sort of thing is amazing

 

A London Year - letters, journals and reflective accounts spread across 400 years from those living in London. Most of them are famous people and it gives a great view into London life through the centuries. 

Edited by Michael_3165
Posted

Mysterious Skin was a great movie as well, except for the wretched acting of Michelle Trachtenburg.

 

Never seen the movie but may look into it if the book ends well. Good to know though :) 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...