Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Does there exist any decent freeware for extremely basic editing of video files? Like, "flip vertical" kind of basic editing? I only ask in case, like a moron, I filmed a video on my phone upside down and wanted to edit it to the right way up before uploading to social media, spankwire etc.

• Paid Members

I'm after some of those wireless headphones that you can stick a microSD card in and it'll play MP3s, or connect to your phone with Bluetooth. I'm also a tightarse.

Anybody able to recommend me a decent, reasonably priced pair?

The one bit I'm going to be picky about is that I want it to have a random function, so that I'm not listening to the first dozen songs on the card each time.

I know this isn't the place for these kind of questions, but at the moment there's a debate on whether Hermoine Granger is black or not. Wouldn't JK Rowling have the final say on her race on book covers and the films? I'm a bit confused as to the case that 'why can't Hermoine be black?' when she's been depicted as white, presumably with Rowling's blessing, earlier.

If she's black in the play, that's fine; there should be much more diverse races and sexualities in books, TV, film, but when I've already seen her as white from official merchandise I don't understand this idea that people have 'assumed' she's white.

• Paid Members

Rowling never wrote her as anything, apparently. I don't know for sure, because it's a kid's book and my kid isn't old enough for it yet. But she's definitely been reported as saying the only description of her is "frizzy hair, brown eyes". Plus, her muggle(?)-born status is supposed to be some kind of mixed-race metaphor?

• Paid Members

Eh. She never out and out said that she's white, but in her own concept drawings of the characters she was white. There's a line in the books about her having a tan after being on holiday, not that black people cant tan of course. Plus there are characters in the books who are black and they were specifically mentioned as being so. She's just sort of retconning. Same as when she said Dumbledore was gay, despite never once in the books having ever said he was gay, or anything would lead you to believe he was gay.

• Paid Members

Why does what colour she is matter? Unless the subject matter specifically deals with a real world story where race is an issue, what difference does it make? Does the colour of the character's skin have any bearing on the individual's character traits, actions, or the story being told? It doesn't matter a bit. It's embarrassing that this is still an issue in 2015, like Idris Elba being Bond. It's the same character, just played by a black actor. Who cares? Why do you care?

Unless this is all just a cunning ploy to sell collectors a new range of black Hermione figures. Like Hasbro selling you the exact same Mr Perfect toy but with a different colour singlet!!1

Archived