Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those two, and the scene in Empire where the hologram has been updated with Ian McDiarmid in his horrible Revenge of the Sith makeup that looks nothing like the makeup from Jedi, are the things that annoy me so much I'd rather watch any pre Special Edition versions of the original and ROTJ. I'm on board with most of the updated visuals, I'll happily watch the Special Edition version of Empire because I like the new Wampa scenes, Cloud City's overhaul, things like that are fine. I just don't understand why Lucas wanted to stop us from seeing the original cuts, he must have seen how many versions of Blade Runner there were and realised he could make a buck or two.

While we're at it, fuck all this "Han shot first", "Greedo shot first" bullshit - Han shot. End of.

• Paid Members

Han shot him under the fucking table like the no-good scoundrel he is. When I was a kid watching it for the first time, I thought that made Han cool as fuck. It also makes his redemption at the end of the film more dramatic. Watering down his scoundrelosity makes him a less interesting character.

Those two, and the scene in Empire where the hologram has been updated with Ian McDiarmid in his horrible Revenge of the Sith makeup that looks nothing like the makeup from Jedi, are the things that annoy me so much I'd rather watch any pre Special Edition versions of the original and ROTJ. I'm on board with most of the updated visuals, I'll happily watch the Special Edition version of Empire because I like the new Wampa scenes, Cloud City's overhaul, things like that are fine. I just don't understand why Lucas wanted to stop us from seeing the original cuts, he must have seen how many versions of Blade Runner there were and realised he could make a buck or two.

While we're at it, fuck all this "Han shot first", "Greedo shot first" bullshit - Han shot. End of.

Ironic really, given how much Lucas HATES the Holiday Special

• Awards Moderator

Those two, and the scene in Empire where the hologram has been updated with Ian McDiarmid in his horrible Revenge of the Sith makeup that looks nothing like the makeup from Jedi, are the things that annoy me so much

But in doing so, can give the Emperor new lines that help continue the story across from the prequels. It's the most important "retcon" in the trilogy, but you wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there.

None of the changes in any of the Special Editions are important to the story. Watch them or don't, it's not worth hunting down pre-change versions.

Those two, and the scene in Empire where the hologram has been updated with Ian McDiarmid in his horrible Revenge of the Sith makeup that looks nothing like the makeup from Jedi, are the things that annoy me so much

But in doing so, can give the Emperor new lines that help continue the story across from the prequels. It's the most important "retcon" in the trilogy, but you wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there.

None of the changes in any of the Special Editions are important to the story. Watch them or don't, it's not worth hunting down pre-change versions.

Which implies the prequels are worth watching. It also makes Vader look like an idiot for not realising who Luke is and needing this latex abortion to spell it out for him. And changing Sebastian Shaw to Hayden Christensen is actually pretty important to the story. Luke in Jedi is all about trying to prove there's still good in Vader, that Anakin is still in there somewhere. When he kills Palpatine and wants to see Luke for the first time with his own eyes, that proves that he was. So for Hayden to get slotted in there, that means that was the last version of Anakin that existed if he 'died' when he looked that, negating the whole fucking point of Vader's redemption. And if it's just about their idealised versions of themselves showing up instead, why didn't we see Ewan McGregor and a shitty CGI version of a much younger Yoda?

• Awards Moderator

None of which make any differences to the overall arcs. They're nitpicky things just to get annoyed at twitchy-fingered George at.

You want to know the one change that annoys me? That makes me boil with rage whenever I watch it? Nobody mentions this one, because it's proper obscure.

Right at the end of Empire Strikes Back, Vader has just confessed the truth to his son and attempted to bring him under his wing and open a new Sith franchise. The fight did not end as he'd hoped. Maybe Luke died? Solo got carted off and well, he wishes he'd have just killed him instead. He had to deal with bounty hunters which annoys him no end. It's been a bad day at the office.

He thunders through Bespin and barks at the nearest trooper, "bring my shuttle." It's malevolent, it's cool and threatening.

The Special Edition changes the line to: "alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." He sounds like a concierge. Very calm, definitely not James Earl Jones. Completely blows the tension in the scene, plus a new CG shot had to get added of the shuttle, they had to film a new departure bit and rework the score to make it work. WITH NO NOTICEABLE GAIN. Loss, if anything.

Told you it gets me worked up.

• Paid Members

I watched Star Wars properly for the first time this month. It's very distracting watching the prequels as all I can do is visualise the actors on the green screen such is the state of the backgrounds. They look really bad CGI.

Yeah, "Phantom Menace" looks terrible for this. It's like watching "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" at times, they looked so cartoonish.

• Paid Members

The only negative is that the theatrical version is a deliberately hobbled postage stamp :(

I watched the theatrical version of ROTJ tonight, and by God you're right. The image quality really is awful. What makes it even more annoying is that it's in widescreen, but designed to be played on a 4:3 screen so there's black frame lines as part of the picture.

I'm tempted to slap the (THX remastered) VHS versions on and see if they're as bad as that.

I watched Star Wars properly for the first time this month. It's very distracting watching the prequels as all I can do is visualise the actors on the green screen such is the state of the backgrounds. They look really bad CGI.

Yeah, "Phantom Menace" looks terrible for this. It's like watching "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" at times, they looked so cartoonish.

Part of the appeal of Star Wars is that you could accept what was happening as believable. The unrealistic backdrops, abandoning of physics when people move, Goddawful slapstick characters, and R2D2 having a jet propulsion system inside his fucking legs are just constant reminders that what you're watching is just actors and special effects.

Archived