Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Why does what colour she is matter? Unless the subject matter specifically deals with a real world story where race is an issue, what difference does it make? Does the colour of the character's skin have any bearing on the individual's character traits, actions, or the story being told? It doesn't matter a bit. It's embarrassing that this is still an issue in 2015, like Idris Elba being Bond. It's the same character, just played by a black actor. Who cares? Why do you care?

Unless this is all just a cunning ploy to sell collectors a new range of black Hermione figures. Like Hasbro selling you the exact same Mr Perfect toy but with a different colour singlet!!1

It doesn't matter. It only matters to people outraged about it on Twitter and other outraged people calling the other outraged people racists. And CiF article writers.

I've never noticed that Americans omit the 'of' when saying " a couple of (items)" before. I'm noticing it at least daily and it annoys me.

"I'm going for a couple beers." "It will take a couple working days."

I'd mention it to them but they could probably care less.

Fucking Yanks.

(Wasn't another thread to put this in) 

• Paid Members

They add an 'of' sometimes as well. Like if I said "I took the book off the shelf" a lot of Americans would say "I took the book off of the shelf". 'Off of' just always sounds wrong to me. Even if it still works as a sentence, it sounds wrong.

• Paid Members

There are dozens of quirks of spoken American English that rile me up irrationally. For instance, when you see the adverts for the latest sandwich the fast food joints are peddling, it winds me up no end when they mention "bacon, lettuce, Swiss and barbecue sauce." It really annoys me that they just say "Swiss" even though I know it's clearly cheese that "Swiss" refers to and not chocolate or cuckoo clocks, but still, it annoys me. Saving yourself one syllable of speech, well done. It'll be "barb sauce" next, or just "barbs."

But then, I hate abbreviation for the sake of it anyway. People that mention "UCL" when it's the same number of syllables as "Champions League" annoy me. If it isn't an abbreviation I'd use in speech (like DNA) then I'm not going to use it in the written either. People are becoming so lazy with their language, it's like everyone's on a mission to become dumber. If I hear one more football pundit mention "diags" or musician talk about their upcoming "collabs" I may very well inj or murd some peeps.

• Paid Members

One of the "of" additions that irks me is, for example, "he's not that good of a fighter". No need for it at all.

Nothing's worse than the "could care less" abomination, though. Although "if you would have... then it would have..." comes close.

• Paid Members
Nothing's worse than the "could care less" abomination, though.

<VOMIT>

It was always worst, I felt, when coming out of JR. "Austin could care less. ABSOLUTELY could care less" he yelled once, and I cringed. It just sounds so stupid.

Archived