Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I passed in a diesel too, then went to a petrol. While petrol is less forgiving in first gear I found that its easy as hell to apply the same basic principles when starting. Ease off the clutch slowly and put on the gas. I know it sounds obvious, but just do it. Thats all, just do it.

If it helps I too stalled like a bastard for the first week or two.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Get someone to drive you to a massive car park on a sunday afternoon when it's quiet, and just drive around for a while. It's all in the practise, so don't worry too much.

Just go out and drive, get used to the car. I changed from a diesel to a petrol last November and I stalled it loads for the first couple of weeks, just make sure to give it plenty of revs.

That's the problem I'm having though, I can't find that happy medium. I'm either not giving enough or giving too much. Either way it's causing a problem. I only passed my test a week and a half ago, so I know time is the key. I just don't want to lose my confidence in the mean time.

That's why it may be worth putting an extra bit of petrol in the car and going around for a drive with nowhere to go in particular. Just choose some quiet streets and have a drive about, if you're not in the car a lot it takes time to get used to it.

Had to go shopping today, and was working myself up about it all night. Gave myself a push, took the advice given and didn't stall it once. I initially thought it was the biting point I was having the problem with, clearly it wasn't. I feel better now and as I've got the next 2 weeks off work I can get plenty of practice in.

Thanks again chaps, I was pretty close to giving up.

Can anyone recommend some kind of remote control holder for this lot?

Remotes.jpg

My wife keeps hiding them because apparently it makes the place look untidy (despite all her stuff being down the side of her armchair, but apparently that's OK because it's hidden). Just need somewhere to keep it all neatly so I don't feel like I'm involved in a really shit alternative easter egg hunt whenever I want to cotch in front of the TV.

EDIT:- There is actually another remote missing from that lot. My PS3 Blu-Ray remote.

So I never did manage to find anything to store this lot, so I made one.

Front.jpg

Top.jpg

Very cool!

I recently bought a new Humax Freeview HD box, and one of the unexpected bonuses is that its remote control is also a universal remote. So one controller now runs my Freeview, my tv, my amp and my Xbox! This means I need just one controller out (unless I actually want to play games on the Xbox, but it's fine for watching dvds/videos/4od etc).

Universal remotes ftw.

• Paid Members

Thanks to the people who advised me on whether the latest Royle Family specials are any good - new question: I've just started rewatching Shameless, as I never got past season 4. Is it still any cop, bearing in mind that there is practically no-one from the original cast left?

• Paid Members

It's dropped in quality massively but still has it's moments. The last series (whichever that was) was probably the worst. It suffers massively from having too many different writers from episode to episode.

• Paid Members
Very cool!

I recently bought a new Humax Freeview HD box, and one of the unexpected bonuses is that its remote control is also a universal remote. So one controller now runs my Freeview, my tv, my amp and my Xbox! This means I need just one controller out (unless I actually want to play games on the Xbox, but it's fine for watching dvds/videos/4od etc).

Universal remotes ftw.

That's a terrible idea. Once you've only got one remote, women start to think they can have a go at using it. Safest to have at least half a dozen so they are scared off.

• Paid Members
Very cool!

Universal remotes ftw.

That's a terrible idea. Once you've only got one remote, women start to think they can have a go at using it. Safest to have at least half a dozen so they are scared off.

It's easier than that - just blank out the buttons that change from one device to another. That'll fox 'em.

Archived