Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I was going to stay up to watch the Fury fight last night. The spirit was willing, but the body was full of ale and barbecued meat, so I tapped out and went to sleep before 11. My body still woke my arse up at 5:30 so I watched a 20 minute highlight video.

Fury obviously thought he would walk the fight, with his height and reach advantage. Until he got cut in the 3rd then he realised that Wallin wasn't playing around. It became obvious that Fury had to change his game plan and looked to try and finish the fight. Wallin impressed me, but even with the cut Fury was the better boxer.

3 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Pardon the Pun but hopefully the fight was an eye opener for Fury. Before the cut he didnt seem as sharp as he has been. Maybe he was starting to believe his hype a bit.

Not seen the bout in it's entirety, but Fury obviously didn't see Wallin as a threat and was toying with him. The cut definitely caused him to take it seriously and he was lucky the doctor didn't call the fight.

• Paid Members

John Fury went Ronda Rousey's Mum v Edmond on Ben Davidson. Something has obviously went on in camp and Big John isn't having it.

It was an odd performance too because all during the week everyone was going on about this being the best Tyson Fury has looked, but he just seemed a little flat. His opponent did well, of course, but Tyson looked a little slower than usual.

On a positive note, it's maybe the sort of performance he needed before Wilder, if he's starting to get a bit complacent or he's turning into Rich Rocky with silly training sessions. He also won most of that comfortably.

I wonder how long it will take for his eye to be ready after getting it fixed?

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

It was an odd performance too because all during the week everyone was going on about this being the best Tyson Fury has looked, but he just seemed a little flat. His opponent did well, of course, but Tyson looked a little slower than usual.

That was my main takeaway watching it. Obviously a lot of the credit has to go to Wallin. He didn’t come to just be ‘the opponent’ and collect his paycheque. He wanted to win. But Tyson definitely didn’t look as sharp as you’d expect. Maybe he’s actually overtrained. He’s fought a lot over the last year or so and while the opposition, bar Wilder, has been weaker, that’s a lot of time in training camp, sparring, doing media etc. Part of it was likely complacency as you say, he clearly saw no threat from Wallin until his eye got fucked up. But he just looked a bit flat and burnt out in general to me last night. The cut might actually be a good thing now in an odd way because it’ll force him to take a break from fighting and sparring. Maybe that’s what he needs. Give his body a rest until the Wilder camp starts. IF Wilder comes through the Ortiz rematch that is, which is no gimme. 

Christ though, that eye...

C92DCD16-CAB3-4A3F-99FB-9D7AD022398E.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The cut might actually be a good thing now in an odd way because it’ll force him to take a break from fighting and sparring. Maybe that’s what he needs. Give his body a rest until the Wilder camp starts. IF Wilder comes through the Ortiz rematch that is, which is no gimme.

Yeah, that's a good point. I've been worried about Fury burning himself out since he said that he trains pretty much all the time because it helps him control his mental health. Tyson Fury is his own man, but his team need to step in and have a word, after all it's what they're there to do, which is obviously why Big John Fury is livid with what he's been seeing. Be wild if he goes into the 2nd Wilder fight completely over trained after going into the 1st one under his best.

I was worried after the cut happened. However, I ended up giving Wallin only 2 rounds, perhaps 3 rounds at the most. The judges got it right. 

Obviously, it wasn't Fury's best performance though. Davidson said last week that he was concerned about Fury over-training. But he seemed to think he had him under control. Perhaps not. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Was far more entertaining than I had hoped, and he got more out of that than he would have if it had been a three round showcase. I honestly thought there was a real risk of the fight being called due to the state of his eye, and it didn't help matters that he kept fucking pawing at it and removing the vaseline that the cutman put on it.

John Fury needs to wind it in. Only a few months ago everyone was talking about Ben Davison being one of the best coaches out there, and now he wants him sacked? Fucking hell. Hopefully he'll wake up this morning and realise he was talking shite.

Fury looked like Fury until the cut. He was fighting on the ropes, feinting and measuring his distance. The cut changed the fight, and you simply cannot account for that. Even so, he hardly looked as though he was in danger of losing. Wallin put in a great effort, and looks a decent enough prospect, but the class was there for all to see.

Onwards to the Wilder fight now I think, the comeback bouts have all been completed, and he's been in all number of positions over the past year and a half. Time to step it up.

• Paid Members

GSP is a Fury fan;

Was the Fish Eyes show on BT any good last night? Not the Fury card the Sunny Edwards one on the regular BT Sport. Anything worth my time on there? It’s sat in my planner but I just clocked that it’s about a 4 hour run time and I don’t know if I can be arsed. 

• Paid Members

well, Otto threw the script out of the window.

There were good and bad things to take away from Fury's performance. I had Wallin winning through round 6. As much as everyone likes to talk about Fury's slickness, its as much his awkardness and size that makes him so effective, but for whatever reason Wallin just had that stuff figured out, the cut obviously played a huge part in how it went but i thought Wallin was playing a bit of a blinder until half way. It was the second half of the fight where Fury took over, until then i thought Wallin was bullying him a little but Tyson bit down, let his hands go and burrowed forward, it was some gritty shit and i had him winning every round 7-11. No one else has mentioned it here yet but Fury was ready to go in that 12th, Wallin just couldnt find a follow up left hand.

It was a heck of a fight. I think it leaves more questions that answers going into the Wilder rematch though, this thing was meant to be plain sailing.

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I think it leaves more questions that answers going into the Wilder rematch though, this thing was meant to be plain sailing.

It doesn't really. The Wilder/Fury fight is as cut & dried as can be. Can Fury outbox Wilder and potentially stop him late into the fight or take a decision? Or will Wilder land a huge shot that can put Fury on the floor for the ten count? That hasn't changed.

Wallin is a much better boxer than Wilder is (Wilder is a shit boxer in all reality, he gets by because he has ridiculous power), and that cut was a bit of a game changer. The positives to take from that are that Fury dealt with a major issue mid-fight, and he was pushed for much of the 12 rounds.  

The 2nd fight between Wilder and Fury will be exactly the same as the first as far as tactics go. It really comes down to Fury either being sharp enough and fit enough to take advantage of the times he looked like he had Wilder in trouble, or Wilder landing a big shot that puts Fury away.

I can't see it going any other way really.

• Paid Members

Still, cut dependent or not, Fury didn't look great fitness-wise Saturday, if anything you'd have to say it looks like he's gone backwards since Wilder despite being down in weight. Tyson by this stage was meant to be showing improvements on what we saw last December, i dont think we saw any.

- He says that Fury prepared well and came in lighter than anticipated. But did eat the wrong foods after the weigh-in. 

- Claims that the plan was to box from distance in the early round and close the distance in the mid-rounds. 

- Says that he was a bit heavy-footed in the early rounds, and this showed in the locker-room before the fight when they were practising fighting at distance. 

- Didn't completely rule out the possibility that Tyson over-trained. Tyson apparently trains when Davidson is not around.