Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Best Fury can hope for is that he has some kind of another viral, highlight reel performance because people are seeing right through this thing in the build up.

Fury doesn't have to hope for anything, he's getting paid regardless. It's those behind the scenes who saw fit to put this on PPV in the UK, or to put it in such an arena in the first place who have to hope.

This fight is what it is, it's another step for the big man on his comeback, and is a warm up fight for Wilder early next year. Nothing more. He needs these types of fights at this stage, like I said earlier in the thread.

• Paid Members

Its a warm up in one sense but in another its meant to be introducing to the American audience to Fury and building intrigue for the return with Wilder. If anything though its turning fans off, its not a knock on Fury himself, its Arum and Top Rank who have designed this run of fights to make Fury a star in America, hence a fight in New York with all the trimmings and now Vegas where they are capitalising on the Mexican market being in town but both shows have tanked in terms of ticket sales and interest, people just dont want to see it, all they want is the rematch.

55 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Its a warm up in one sense but in another its meant to be introducing to the American audience to Fury and building intrigue for the return with Wilder.

In all honesty though, who could he fight that would make much of a dent in the US audience? The American audience hardly reacts to their own heavyweight champion who's knocked out 40 of his 41 wins! The truth is, while there's money in the US due to the sheer size of the country and the money involved in TV and sponsorship, there's not as much of an appetite for boxing there. 

Fury's fight tonight is on ESPN+ in the US from what I gather, so he'll be in front of a decent audience on TV and will hopefully put on another show. 

Where the head-scratching really happens is with it being on PPV in the UK. That's insane. I've long said that our TV companies are stretching it with the fights they're putting on PPV, and that it'll only come to an end when it stops being profitable.

• Paid Members

Anthony Joshua fought an American and sold out MSG i believe...back when it was still Joshua vs. Miller.

The whole build up to these fights have been strangrle , they are not even promoting it as being a competitive fight, Wallin from what i can see didnt even appear in front of the media officially until this week (Schwarz was the same). The whole sales tactic seems to be 'come out and see the Lineal Heavyweight Champion defend his title', but nobody cares because they knows Wallin isnt a valid threat nor does the Lineal status mean anything. Why not at least put him in with someone that will stir up interest in the fight and get people interested? which is exactly what Big Baby Miller did against AJ. Fury has been put in with 2 warm European bodies who 99% of boxing wouldnt even be able to pick out of a lineup before fight night.

29 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Why not at least put him in with someone that will stir up interest in the fight and get people interested? which is exactly what Big Baby Miller did against AJ.

Like I've said numerous times, remember that Fury only returned to boxing less than a year and a half ago. In a year and three months he'll have fought five times. Joshua has fought twice in that same period of time, and Wilder twice as well.

Last June we were watching Fury face Sefer Seferi in Manchester, his first fight in almost three years. He weighed 276lbs for that fight, and that was after losing over 100lbs to get back into boxing shape. When he faced Schwarz last time out he came in at 258lbs, and looked a lot better.

Even a complete newbie to boxing can see that the current path Fury is on is all about getting rounds under his belt, staying sharp in camp and getting back to full fitness ahead of a big showdown with Wilder hopefully.

If and when he wins that one you'll likely see him slow down his schedule and fight higher calibre opponents, much like Joshua and Wilder have been doing. But at the moment he's still very much at the tail end of a carefully prepared comeback from insane physical and mental health issues. 

EDIT: It's probably worth adding that Fury has simply accepted a mega-money deal. If a company or TV provider is happy enough to pay him ridiculous money to cover his road back to high-level boxing, why would he care? He'd be an idiot to refuse that money. If he hadn't done so well in the Wilder fight, and this contract wasn't in place we'd likely be watching Fury face Otto in Manchester or something, and the fight would be on BT Sports.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

They really are taking the piss with the PPV thing here now. I don’t think anyone’s got a problem with huge fights like Ruiz vs Joshua 2 and Fury vs Wilder 2 being on Box Office. But when you’ve BT charging £20 for Fury vs Wallin, they can dress it up however they want it’s a straight piss take. I saw an interview on IFL with Francis Warren the other day and 1) fuck me, Fish Eyes Jr has even more of a slimy vibe than his old man and 2) he was asked about the backlash to the decision to put the Fury fight on PPV and he basically just shrugged and said ‘It’s always been the same. If you want to see the best you have to pay for it.’ It’s funny because I doubt he’d have been singing that tune if Sky tried to charge £20 for Joshua vs some nobody as a rebound for AJ. They’re all at it. As much as I love Lomachenko, the undercard for him and Campbell was weak from Sky. And don’t even get me started on ITV putting fucking DeGale vs Eubank on PPV earlier this year. 

It reminds me of something I heard on a wrestling podcast before. Might’ve been Jim Cornette. He said something like when it comes to big matches and selling out stadiums, it was always better to have a huge match that justifies a stadium not a stadium that needs a big match. Because you might not have that big match that warrants it. I think it’s a similar thing has happened with PPV here now. Instead of the promoters and TV companies just putting the truly big fights on PPV that actually warrant being on PPV, it seems like they’ve got a set number of how many PPVs their channel should do regardless of whether they have the fights for it. It’s pure greed obviously and they’re all copying each other. Fuck, even just a couple of years ago you’d only get a little handful of shows on Box Office a year and it’d pretty much just be when a big name like Joshua, Mayweather etc would be on. There’s been a real noticeable increase in the number of PPVs recently, especially this year, and it’s anyone with even the slightest bit of name value. It’s a joke. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, David said:

If and when he wins that one you'll likely see him slow down his schedule and fight higher calibre opponents, much like Joshua and Wilder have been doing. But at the moment he's still very much at the tail end of a carefully prepared comeback from insane physical and mental health issues. 

well, ive just heard Fury say in an interview that Pulev, Povetkin and Trevor Bryan all turned down the fight tonight, first id heard that, so maybe they did attempt to put on a fight that was garner some interest?

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

well, ive just heard Fury say in an interview that Pulev, Povetkin and Trevor Bryan all turned down the fight tonight, first id heard that, so maybe they did attempt to put on a fight that was garner some interest?

I had heard that, but as much as I love big Tyson, he has been known to chat absolute shite on occasion. Of course, it depends on who wanted what kind of money to face him, but I'd heard initially that Oscar Rivas was in the running but knocked it back due to the money on offer. He then went on to fight Whyte, and I doubt he got paid more for that than he would have for facing Fury in the US, so who knows?

Edited by David
Not Chisora, it was Whyte he fought

Sky have settled down a bit with PPVs this year. They put AJ vs Ruiz, Whyte vs Rivas, and Loma vs Campbell on PPV. That's 3 PPVs in the space of 8/9 months. Of course, that would have been 4 had Hearn been able to make Khan/Brook in Jan/Feb. With the Taylor/Prograis card and Joshua/Ruiz bill on the horizon, it's probable that Sky will finish the year having held only 5 PPV cards. Although, Adam Smith didn't rule out the possibility of the KSI vs Logan Paul card also being put on Box Office.

The major increase in PPVs, at least in the past 18 months or so, has come from BT and ITV getting in on the game. BT have not only put Fury's fights behind a paywall, but some UFC cards as well. ITV put the latter stages of last year's Super Series behind a paywall and Pacquiao's most recent fight.