Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

There’s a Gloves Are Off debate thing for Lomachenko vs Campbell available in the Sky Sports On Demand section. It’s a roundtable thing with Johnny Nelson, Carl Froch, Tony Bellew, David Haye and Paulie Malignaggi. 

Not sure I can stomach that lot all trying to shout over each other but thought I’d share it anyway. It should be on YouTube soon if you can’t get it on Sky. 

And Tyson Fury has said that, if him and Wilder win their upcoming fights, the rematch will be on 22nd February in Vegas. 

Watch them fucking both lose now, then Ruiz beats AJ again and we end up with Ruiz vs Ortiz for all the belts or something. BoxingLOL. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Campbell and Hughie Fury the two top brits on a Sky PPV is hilariously bad. Since DAZN has took off, the boxing on Sky has been piss poor. There are no stars coming through either. Matchrooms best boxers are Smith and Buatsi and neither are really proper headline acts either. Compared to ten years ago british boxing is pretty poor. 

Heard an interview with Warren the other day and he was saying Ruiz cannot be forced to go to Saudi due to the fact that its a high alert danger place for U.S citizens so legally hearn doesnt have a leg to stand on. I still think it will take place there though, just Ruiz will get a massive increase on his wedge. Good luck to him. Rumoured pay is Ruiz getting £9 million and Joshua over £50 million, thats 80/20 split in favour or the challenger? Is that right?,my maths isnt what it used to be.

16 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Campbell and Hughie Fury the two top brits on a Sky PPV is hilariously bad. Since DAZN has took off, the boxing on Sky has been piss poor. There are no stars coming through either. Matchrooms best boxers are Smith and Buatsi and neither are really proper headline acts either.

I get the impression that Adam Smith (SKY's head of boxing), is becoming increasingly frustrated with Matchroom. You could tell he wasn't happy with some of the Saturday Fight Night cards that Matchroom have provided SKY with this year. In particular, he was clearly unhappy with quality of the card headlined by Ted Cheeseman at the start of the year. 

It doesn't help that some of Matchroom's best prospects have suffered setbacks this year. Ritson, Cheeseman, and Fowler have all lost recently, and Kelly could only salvage a draw on his US debut. Not to mention Allan getting thumped by Price and Katie Taylor being very lucky to get the judges' decision in her unification bout. The public seem lukewarm towards Okolie as well. 

Hearn better pray that Joshua wins in December. 

Round 8 of Kovalev/Yarde - Round of the year. It didn't look like Yarde needed many more unanswered punches there to get the stoppage. Kovalev did not like those body shots mid fight which got Yarde the most success and I think that set up his round 8. Yarde will succeed if he has a better trainer. The System 9 set-up they use where they don't spar in training, gives you a disadvantage from the start. Yarde was sucking air from round 5 before he went for it. By the championship rounds, Yarde was struggling to keep his gloves up, and it was a jab that put him down for the finish. I don't think he was hurt, just exhausted. With better conditioning and pacing, Yarde will be a real force.

if Kovalev goes for Canelo next, it will be cash out time. There would be no way, Kovalev could handle Canelo's body shots.

• Paid Members

The talking points coming out were always gonna be focussed on Tunde. That guy is so polarising he had a line of people waiting to put the pelters in if Yarde failed on Saturday, and they did.

The fight itself was excellent. Yarde was soundly beaten but he was so game and seemingly unfazed you couldnt help but admire the effort. That said, the success he had in round 8 and his attempts at finishing the fight completely emptied his tank. He got busted up bad in those final few rounds and i thought he should have been pulled out after 10, it got dangerous at the point. Huge props to Sergey for surviving round 8 and coming back so strong, outstanding performance.

So yeah, Tunde Ajayi...

It's the classic dilemma really, isn't it? Is "hard sparring" really all that good for a fighter long-term? The notion of routinely taking blows to the head can't be a good one, so the idea of avoiding such repeated trauma as much as is possible in a sport like boxing is a good one, but it's up to the coaches to find a way around it.

• Paid Members

I think it was such a talking point here because Yarde's relative lack of experience overall. He hadn't even been in a semi-competitive fight until Saturday night so i think thats why it was highlighted. There's some suspsicion out there that the talk of no sparring and running is bollocks anyway and that Tunde is working the media. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, Spong hasnt done much as a boxer but he was the top heavyweight kickboxer in the world for a time and is a bit of a beast. Take the kicking game out of the equation and Usyk wrecks him but its one of those fantasy fights for me, id never have thought those two would meet in a ring.

I had a similar thing when Callum Smith fought Nieky Holzken fought in the WBSS. To most Holzken was a no name jobber but to anyone who knows kickboxing it was an interesting matchup.

• Paid Members

Mr Miyagi gif. 

I’m with Egg, Usyk vs Spong is mental to me. Not even a fight that would’ve crossed my mind. It’ll be cool to see for the novelty factor but in a Boxing ring, yeah, Spong’s getting fucked up there.