Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The WBSS have put out a statement saying its still on. Very weird, similar thing happened last year. Very much feels like the series is on its last legs though.

Got a funny feeling Yarde/Kovalev wont happen. 2 weeks out and zero press for it. Kovalev apparently arrested for grabbing a flight attendant recently as well. IFL even asked Warren on an interview 2 days ago if the fight was happening and Warrens response was "well, if it doesnt happen, Kovalev will be stripped", just a strange, vague answer.

I think the feeling was Yarde was going to accept step aside money and it would be Kovolev and Canelo in September but when Yarde turned down the £1 million step aside money it threw a spanner in the works. 

You would think it would be BJS on Tuesday. Will definately open a few doors for him by signing with Matchroom and DAZN.

Edited by Porkchopcash

The only door I want to see opened for Saunders is the lion enclosure at London Zoo. 

But yeah, no doubt the confirmation of him signing with Matchroom is coming. I look forward to him pulling out of 2 out of 3 fights a year on Sky. 

15 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The only door I want to see opened for Saunders is the lion enclosure at London Zoo. 

ūüėÉ

I might have to root for BJS if he fights Callum Smith. I don't actually mind Smith, but I have a strong dislike of Joe "Ring Magazine Trainer of the Year" Gallagher. He makes my skin crawl. 

Yeh he is such a miserable cunt. To me, he’s a good fitness coach but has the one gameplan for alot of his fighters. Cover up early, high gaurd then try and take over. Tbf he has done some great work with some fighters and along with Sky and Eddie got European level fighters to world champunships. Calumn Smith is the only true World class fighter i think he’s had but thats more down to him than Joe i believe. But i guess thats the same for a lot of trainers, the fighter makes the trainer rather than the other way round in alot of circumstances.

Edited by Porkchopcash

Caught Josh Warrington on the local news the other day. He seemed pretty pissed off, they couldn't deliver a decent fight for him in the US. Instead he's back in Leed's fighting against some French guy I've never heard of.

Cuban amateur star and two time Olympic gold medallist, Robeisy Ramirez made his pro debut last night and lost. He was knocked down in the first minute of the first round of the four round fight. Then didn't really show any urgency to win the other rounds. His opponent, Adan Gonzalez won the second round and I gave Ramirez rounds three & four just because of a better punch connect ratio. Ramirez has developed too many bad habits from his amateurs that need to be erased, mainly stepping back in straight lines with his hands down (how the knockdown occurred) and not setting up punches with the jab. He landed less than 10 jabs all fight.

Vergil Ortiz Jr looks like a good talent coming through the welterweight division. 14 wins all by knockout now. Last night, he took 6 rounds to dispatch, previously unstoppable, Antonio Orozco. Two fights ago, Orozco went the distance with Jose Carlos Ramirez who unified the 140lb division last month. Trained by Robert Garcia, at 21 he's got the talent and teacher to help him go places.

There’s a Gloves Are Off debate thing for Lomachenko vs Campbell available in the Sky Sports On Demand section. It’s a roundtable thing with Johnny Nelson, Carl Froch, Tony Bellew, David Haye and Paulie Malignaggi. 

Not sure I can stomach that lot all trying to shout over each other but thought I’d share it anyway. It should be on YouTube soon if you can’t get it on Sky. 

And Tyson Fury has said that, if him and Wilder win their upcoming fights, the rematch will be on 22nd February in Vegas. 

Watch them fucking both lose now, then Ruiz beats AJ again and we end up with Ruiz vs Ortiz for all the belts or something. BoxingLOL. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Campbell and Hughie Fury the two top brits on a Sky PPV is hilariously bad. Since DAZN has took off, the boxing on Sky has been piss poor. There are no stars coming through either. Matchrooms best boxers are Smith and Buatsi and neither are really proper headline acts either. Compared to ten years ago british boxing is pretty poor. 

Heard an interview with Warren the other day and he was saying Ruiz cannot be forced to go to Saudi due to the fact that its a high alert danger place for U.S citizens so legally hearn doesnt have a leg to stand on. I still think it will take place there though, just Ruiz will get a massive increase on his wedge. Good luck to him. Rumoured pay is Ruiz getting £9 million and Joshua over £50 million, thats 80/20 split in favour or the challenger? Is that right?,my maths isnt what it used to be.

16 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Campbell and Hughie Fury the two top brits on a Sky PPV is hilariously bad. Since DAZN has took off, the boxing on Sky has been piss poor. There are no stars coming through either. Matchrooms best boxers are Smith and Buatsi and neither are really proper headline acts either.

I get the impression that Adam Smith (SKY's head of boxing), is becoming increasingly frustrated with Matchroom. You could tell he wasn't happy with some of the Saturday Fight Night cards that Matchroom have provided SKY with this year. In particular, he was clearly unhappy with quality of the card headlined by Ted Cheeseman at the start of the year. 

It doesn't help that some of Matchroom's best prospects have suffered setbacks this year. Ritson, Cheeseman, and Fowler have all lost recently, and Kelly could only salvage a draw on his US debut. Not to mention Allan getting thumped by Price and Katie Taylor being very lucky to get the judges' decision in her unification bout. The public seem lukewarm towards Okolie as well. 

Hearn better pray that Joshua wins in December. 

Does anyone on here give Luke Campbell a hope in hell against Lomachenko?

I fancy betting on Lomachenko taking out Campbell inside the first 3 rounds, but the bookies seem to be favoring rounds 4-6?

Round 8 of Kovalev/Yarde - Round of the year. It didn't look like Yarde needed many more unanswered punches there to get the stoppage. Kovalev did not like those body shots mid fight which got Yarde the most success and I think that set up his round 8. Yarde will succeed if he has a better trainer. The System 9 set-up they use where they don't spar in training, gives you a disadvantage from the start. Yarde was sucking air from round 5 before he went for it. By the championship rounds, Yarde was struggling to keep his gloves up, and it was a jab that put him down for the finish. I don't think he was hurt, just exhausted. With better conditioning and pacing, Yarde will be a real force.

if Kovalev goes for Canelo next, it will be cash out time. There would be no way, Kovalev could handle Canelo's body shots.

The talking points coming out were always gonna be focussed on Tunde. That guy is so polarising he had a line of people waiting to put the pelters in if Yarde failed on Saturday, and they did.

The fight itself was excellent. Yarde was soundly beaten but he was so game and seemingly unfazed you couldnt help but admire the effort. That said, the success he had in round 8 and his attempts at finishing the fight completely emptied his tank. He got busted up bad in those final few rounds and i thought he should have been pulled out after 10, it got dangerous at the point. Huge props to Sergey for surviving round 8 and coming back so strong, outstanding performance.

So yeah, Tunde Ajayi...