Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, Benn’s talked about that fight a lot over the years and in his book and stuff. From what I remember there was some bad blood going in. 

This one’s good as well. Nigel Benn vs Lou Gent from 1993, and it’s the ITV version;

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The promoters aren't mugs, you don't get to where they are in the business world by being stupid. They'll have known exactly the kind of numbers the Fury fight would do, yet for some reason or other they've set up the fight anyway.

I still don't think heavyweight boxing in the US does that great at the best of times. Like I said before, when they have a legit world champion to call their own who's starching dudes left, right & centre and they still can't be fucked going to watch him it really does say it all.

If they finally get the Wilder vs Fury fight signed they'll see a decent influx of fans from the UK, as they would if it was AJ fighting, but the American audience seems like they can't be fucked for some reason.

I don't like him, but I think Canelo is the only draw in the US at the moment. Pacquiao can still do decent numbers with the right opponent, and Spence did decent business with Garcia. That's about it.

As far as I can tell, other homegrown fighters, such as Crawford, Wilder, and Ward, haven't really caught on. Fury, for all his charisma and skill, doesn't have much hope. Whether, as David says, that matters or not, is another question. 

I don't think Heavyweight boxing has caught on in the US since the days of Tyson fighting on PPV and Lewis fighting on HBO. 

Edited by jimufctna24

In reality, you'd think the US TV companies would be better served having Fury fight in the UK at as late an hour as the venue will allow and screen it in the US. They'd likely do better at the gate, especially considering the relative strength of the GBP over the USD.

But, they must be making money somehow besides the gate. Be it through the TV deal, the TV sponsorship or whatever, these guys aren't mugs, they're not committing to paying Fury that kind of money at a loss. They must have had a plan, and they'd know the US audience for boxing better than we do.

Regarding Furys huge ESPN deal, its all about the result of Wilder/Fury.

The Yanks charge close to $100 dollors for PPV, if Fury fights Wilder early next year, it should do roughly 300k buys in the US, plus the UK PPV money. If Fury wins an intriuging fight it sets up a return for another decent PPV, if Fury dominates Wilder and Wilder doesnt take the rematch then i imagine Arum will negotiate with the winner of AJ/Ruiz, as a unification will take preference over any manditories. Alternatively, if Fury wins i wouldnt be suprised if he just blanks the rematch, gets stripped and fights the winner of AJ/Ruiz anyway. Arums a crafty old bastard. I could imagine Fury just spouting the belt means nothing as he’s the lineal champ and wants to fight the best.

If Fury gets flattened by Wilder then old Bob has “done his conkers” as some douchebag would say.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, David said:

In reality, you'd think the US TV companies would be better served having Fury fight in the UK at as late an hour as the venue will allow and screen it in the US. They'd likely do better at the gate, especially considering the relative strength of the GBP over the USD.

I'm starting to think they've got it wrong. I know Arum has been in the game longer than anyone but coming off the Wilder fight they seemed to think they'd struck gold with Fury. They've now rolled him out twice over there and its tanked. Fury doesn't come with a travelling audience like an AJ or Ricky Hatton, and as much as ESPN dressed it up and gave it the hard sell that Fury has been adopted by the US audience it simply aint the case, especially when they're putting him in with no-name European opponents, ESPN has tried to promote Fury as the home fighter. From a fight perspective you can talk all you want about how good it was to get rounds in against Wallin but from the outside looking in there were more negatives coming out of that fight than positives, it also puts the Wilder fight in jeopardy to take place early next year.

Seeing that Wilder/Ortiz II has had issues too. Showtime paid out the ass to secure rights for the Wilder/Breazeale fight but ended up taking a loss because it didnt do the numbers so they've passed on a Wilder/Ortiz fight because its too much of a risk to take financially, so the fight is headed to Fox.

They should have went with Wilder/Fury 2 straight away. I understand the idea to build it and make it bigger but you cant say that it doesnt look they've got it all wrong. Coming out of that fight i think the promoters thought they'd hit the heavyweight jackpot, but we are living in an age where unless you are legitimate attraction (and there aint many in the States), the only thing that draws numbers are the actual fights. Come February 2020 Wilder/Fury wont be any bigger than if it has taken place in early 2019.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, David said:

The promoters aren't mugs, you don't get to where they are in the business world by being stupid. They'll have known exactly the kind of numbers the Fury fight would do, yet for some reason or other they've set up the fight anyway.

do you genuienly believe Arum would have booked Fury/Wallin in a 20,000 seat arena if he only believed he would sell 3,000 tickets?

• Paid Members

Anyone catch old Codfather Warren’s show on BT last night? 

Dubois wipes out another one. I like him. I don’t care that he’s slow and has all the personality of a paperweight. There’s something endearing about this polite, shy 22 year old kid who can flip the switch when the bell rings. Can’t help but want to see him do well. 

Thought they did a good job with the hype videos for Dubois as well. Really made him seem like something special with the likes of Fury, AJ, Bruno etc talking about him. 

But man, did they have to have Dubois’ post-fight interview be done by the only man in the UK who could make him look like a midget? I’m sure Ronald Macintosh is a lovely bloke but he’s about 13ft tall. Talk about taking away Dubois’ shine. This is why Andre The Giant wouldn’t have anyone bigger than him in the same territory.

A3-D4-F42-E-56-DD-4-F76-9399-9165-D80-F4

Yeah, Andre knew the score. 

• Paid Members

Macintosh is 6'10 i think, guys a monster.

Last nights fight was an odd one, because everyone wants to see Dubois tested and he made it look like an utter mismatch, but the guys carrying the kind of power than one clean shot on the chin can end it. That said, Tetteh looked like he wanted to be anywhere other than that ring once he took his robe off. Im on the Dubois-train though, there just seems to be that air of nastiness about him, hes shy and reserved but he can see red in there, it'll make for some exciting fights.

Did you see the Archie Sharp fight? what a knockout that was, clean.

• Paid Members

Dubois is definitely something special. He's still only 22; as he gets older and a bit more confident he'll come out of his shell more and be a bit more interesting outside the ring (though noone's expecting him to turn into Ali). In the ring, he's becoming terrifying, if he isn't already. Wand and Egg are right in that he has this Festus-like switch into nastiness when he gets in the ring. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops, especially when he eventually comes up against more experienced guys with better technique, and who aren't easily fazed by a fighter's aura or rep.