Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

He’s great isn’t he? Usyk, obviously, not Arum. Completely different character to anyone else in Boxing. He makes a refreshing change from fighters just going on about who’s got more money and trying to be ‘gangsta’ and all that shite. He’s a big, happy, child-like goof who also just happens to be one of the best boxers on the planet bell-to-bell. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Usyk is the best, such a brilliantly weird man.

Its taken me a long time to get around to watching the fights but as already mentioned Luke Campbell did himself proud, wide on the cards but very competitive until around the 8th round. Loma is the man.

Great program, not so much for the fight but for the build up before it. Holmes was great, at 16mins he predicts Tysons future.

Heres the great man on Ringside for an hour and talks about the Tyson fight on how Don King originally told him he had x amount off time to train then rang him later and halved it. Havent watched it in ages though.

Then any reason to post this!

Holmes is a top 10 heavyweight of all time. The king of the Jab. Great personality to. Just came around at the worst time possible, straight after Ali....plus destroying Ali didnt help with his press. 

• Paid Members

Always got time for Larry Holmes. Seems such a good guy whenever I see him in interviews and documentaries. Obviously his prime years were before most of our time but you look back at his career and he really was one of the best ever. Like you say, just unfortunate timing having to destroy and then follow Ali. You can see how he struggled with that in that great Muhammad and Larry documentary. 

Even after the Tyson loss, he came back in 1991 and went a respectable 21-3 after that, finishing up at 69-6 overall. A lot of his opposition was poor in those later years but he did beat Ray Mercer and went the distance with Holyfield. It’s a shame he was older and past his peak when the Tyson fight came along because even in 1988 when Tyson was at his scariest, I think a prime Holmes with that jab and his size could’ve given Tyson fits. Especially with the benefit of hindsight and knowing how Tyson could unravel mentally. But at 39 and coming off a lay-off, it just wasn’t going to happen. 

Of course, the Ken Norton fight is the one Holmes is mostly remembered for. An all time classic. The Gerry Cooney fight also for different reasons and the Legendary Nights doc on that is excellent. But if you haven’t seen it and have some time to kill, I’d recommend giving Holmes vs Tim Witherspoon from 1983 a watch. 

Probably not the best example of Holmes at his best, as Spoon almost beat him, but it’s a great fight that kind of gets overshadowed by Larry’s more famous fights against Ali, Norton and Cooney. Holmes really had to dig deep and show serious heart. Shame they never had a rematch. 

1E7CD0D5-9F11-40C0-9D50-4198D8155C3E.jpeg

For me he’s a bit like Lewis, where as people didnt really appreciate him till he was gone. I dont know much about the second part of his career. No doubt in my mind he’d have schooled Tyson if he was 5 years younger. Even if he was given more time for the Tyson match he’d have given him a much better fight. He puts loads of money into his home town as well and employs loads of local people. 

Great post match interview with Tyson after, so humble, says Holmes would have beat him in his prime. I guess you never know.

il watch the Witherspoon fight, havent seen it in full for years.

I love the 81-86 era of heavyweights. 

• Paid Members

Same. That was the golden age of heavyweight boxing for me. So many great fighters, different styles and big characters. Then you go a few years before 81 and you’ve got the Ali and Frazier classics, few years after 86 you’ve got stuff like the Holyfield vs Bowe trilogy. It must’ve been amazing for fans at the time to experience that division as it happened. All the great fights like Ali vs Frazier, Holmes vs Norton, Foreman vs Lyle and so on. 

One thing I always think of when the subject of Larry Holmes comes up is how much of a bastard Don King was. I read a book years ago called ‘The Life And Crimes Of Don King’ (great read, btw) and there was a quote from Holmes in there about his dealings with Dirty Don. Apparently, King was fucking Larry about so Larry told him he wanted to leave him and sign with Bob Arum and Top Rank. Here’s the quote from Holmes; 

”I said I wanted to talk to Arum again. I never saw Don’s face get the way it got, like he was in pain. His eyes turned cold and empty. He said real quietly, ‘If you do, I’ll have your legs broke.’ Not for a single minute did I think he was kidding. Not for a single minute did I think it wasn’t a real threat. And not for a single minute did I doubt Don could find the people to do the job...The first thing I did when I got back to Easton was pick me up a .22 caliber Smith & Wesson.”

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Oh, Witherspoon got fucked over royally. In that same King book the author goes into detail about how King would deduct money from Witherspoon’s fight purses for expenses from his training camps. There’s a story in there with examples used where he even docked Tim something mad like $10 for his hand wraps and $15 for his skipping rope and stuff. Then Tim found out that King flew in a bunch of jurors who he’d bribed to get him off some charge and put them up in a hotel, paid for their meals and gave them tickets to the fight. Absolute shit of a man. 

Here’s a good documentary on King and his dodginess. ‘Don King: Unauthorised’;

The guy King’s losing his rag at at the start, Jack Newfield, was the author of the book I was on about. Rare that King would let the mask slip publicly like that. 

Edited by wandshogun09