Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I fancy Luke to take him to the late rounds and possibly points. Campbell despite a horrible start against Linares came back into it and maybe should have got a draw. Linares had some success against Lomachenko. Campbell is a level above Crolla imo and should not be judged on how easily Lona got Crolla outer there. Campbell has been unlucky when going for titles to be matched against genuine p4p top fighters. 

Campbell had loadsa shit going on as well before the linares fight, his dad passing away the week or so of the fight and having other issues in camp. Hes huge at the weight compared to Lomachenko as well. I still fancy Lamachenko to win well but Campbell will put up a decent fight. Especially now with new trainer Shane Mcguigan.

29 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

I fancy Luke to take him to the late rounds and possibly points. Campbell despite a horrible start against Linares came back into it and maybe should have got a draw. Linares had some success against Lomachenko. Campbell is a level above Crolla imo and should not be judged on how easily Lona got Crolla outer there. Campbell has been unlucky when going for titles to be matched against genuine p4p top fighters. 

Campbell had loadsa shit going on as well before the linares fight, his dad passing away the week or so of the fight and having other issues in camp. Hes huge at the weight compared to Lomachenko as well. I still fancy Lamachenko to win well but Campbell will put up a decent fight. Especially now with new trainer Shane Mcguigan.

From what i remember of Linares v Campbell, It was Linares controlling the entire fight & there was no question that he easily won on points, (even if the judges had it closer)?

I think Adam Smith on commentary fell in love with Linares early on and was just ignoring alot of Campbells work. Although Linares was scoring with the flashier shots , Campbells workman like performance was just being ignored on commentary until the later rounds and i think that swayed a lot of people watching the fight. Linares probably did deserve to get the decision with the early knockdown but it was close.

Campbell seemed genuinally to think he won the fight in the post match interview. 

Linares reminds me a bit of Sergio Martinez, where they do throw these mouth watering potshots here and there and seem to be controlling fights but do get outworked and caught inbetween throwing them. 

It was a while ago and i may be talking shite but thats how it felt at the time.

Edited by Porkchopcash

13 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

I think Adam Smith on commentary fell in love with Linares early on and was just ignoring alot of Campbells work. Although Linares was scoring with the flashier shots , Campbells workman like performance was just being ignored on commentary until the later rounds and i think that swayed a lot of people watching the fight. Linares probably did deserve to get the decision with the early knockdown but it was close.

Campbell seemed genuinally to think he won the fight in the post match interview. 

Linares reminds me a bit of Sergio Martinez, where they do throw these mouth watering potshots here and there and seem to be controlling fights but do get outworked and caught inbetween throwing them. 

It was a while ago and i may be talking shite but thats how it felt at the time.

Fair enough. I have no problem with your comments, it's just that i remember not even listening to the commentary, but watched Linarez hold the centre of the ring and be cruising to victory as Campbell was left frustrated with his inability to make a true impact.

• Paid Members

the Linares/Campbell fight was a strange one because Adam Smith was so embarrasingly one sides on commentary it probably left most viewers believing Campbell was getting schooled but it was incredibly close. I dont think it dawned on the Sky team until around the 9th round. It was just an Adam Smith wank off before then.

Tonights fight is gonna be interesting, its definitely Loma's biggest test in a while, especially considering the size difference and with Campbell being a southpaw. I think Campbell does better than the majority of fans are expecting, seems to be a belief out there that'll it'll be a blow out.

Fury/Povetkin i expect to be close too, wouldnt be at all shocked to see Fury nick it on points. Again though, the social media response seems to think its a gimme that Povetkin wins by early KO.

A Campbell/Fury double is 18/1. Probably a long shot but might be worth a few quid to make it interesting.

The Edwards/Martinez fight should be good too. Martinez being the guy that stopped Andrew Selby a few months back.

I think Campbell did himself justice. I only gave him the opening round, but that doesn't tell the full story. There were 3-4 other rounds where he was very competitive with Loma, and he even briefly stunned him in the 7th. Usyk video-bombing Bob Arum's post-fight interview was the funniest thing I have seen in ages. 

I had Fury/Povetkin a bit closer than the judges. I had Povetkin winning by 2 rounds. I look forward to Big Mick's reaction to the scorecards. 

Oh, and Adam Smith much have said "respect" about 124 times last night. 

Edited by jimufctna24

On 8/30/2019 at 6:10 PM, Porkchopcash said:

Congratulations!

Your prediction was spot on and i did my bollocks in :(

• Paid Members

A really absorbing fight to watch. I don't think there was anything Campbell could have done differently to get a different result, that was pretty much the best Luke Campbell. He had his moments but he was comprehensively out fought. Loma v the winner of Commey and Teofimo Lopez is an appealing fight. Probably Lopez but that will be a close fight as well. 

No Froch on commentary either was a massive bonus. Has he fallen out with Hearn? Adam Smith seemed to have a little pop about him not been there. Not very respectful

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
There's the respect.

What a mess that Charlie Edwards vs. Julio Cesar Martinez world title fight was. Bit nip and tuck for the first two rounds. Then Martinez landed a flurry of shots and Edwards took a knee. Martinez paused and then clocked him with a body shot. Referee then counts Edwards out and Martinez wins the strap.

They announced the results, pantomime booing from the crowd when the replays were shown on the big screen. Did post fight interviews. Then in comes WBC president Mauricio Suleiman likes he's Jack Tunney. He reverses the decision and makes it a no contest.

This all could have been avoided if the referee had control of the fight. There needs to be an overhaul of British refereeing because the majority are poor at making the correct call in big decisions. It should have been a 5 minute recovery period and a 1 or 2 point deduction for Martinez. Or even DQ Martinez.

Martinez blew it with a moment of madness. Once he closed the gap, Edwards could not cope with his power. The WBC ordered an immediate rematch but I can see Edwards vacating and moving up in weight, he won't want anymore of that.