Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

l'll always have time for the 5 fighters featured in Champions Forever, i bought that film on VHS when i was about 10 years old and i watched it non-stop, that film is pretty much the reason im a boxing fan today. 

Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, George Foreman & Larry Holmes. Classic.

• Paid Members

Yeah, this picture alone is brilliant; 

FC15-FE38-F26-D-4959-9-F31-4-E9-C5661-C6

While we’re in this era, anyone know the story behind this picture?;

2-EBB3-EAD-8964-49-EC-A583-9-B1-B0-F75-F

I’ve seen this picture pop up from time to time over the years along with a few others from the same shoot. But I’ve never known the backstory. There’s a few photos of them together in their later years but I don’t think they ever truly buried the hatchet, probably just paid appearances. But it’s always a weird mix for me, of it being cool seeing them together yet sad at the same time when I see those pics. 

I believe Holmes was on good terms with both Frazier and Ali. But had more time for Frazier. 

You could make a serious argument that Holmes is still the best heavyweight since Ali. Only Lennox Lewis was perhaps better. I'm a huge Tyson fan, but he was never the same after he split from Rooney in 1988. His prime only really lasted from around mid-1986 until the Spinks fight. 

Tyson still hates King as well:

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, this picture alone is brilliant; 

FC15-FE38-F26-D-4959-9-F31-4-E9-C5661-C6

My dad still has the VHS of that - great little documentary for how much they manage to pack in in a couple of hours.

How the fuck is Don King still walking around free? Especially in this day and age when anything and everything can have the lid lifted on it? You'd think that if a scumbag like Weinstein could have his cover blown, an abject, wretched cunt like King would've been done by now.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

My dad still has the VHS of that - great little documentary for how much they manage to pack in in a couple of hours.

Yeh its great. My dads a bit of a boxing fan and would talk to me about the great heavyweights, in them days though it wasnt easy to see any actual footage so seeing the highlights on that tape absolutely blew my mind.

Before id seen it i also had this absolute classic game for the Mega Drive:

s-l640.jpg

Greatest_Heavyweights.png

so i knew some of the fighters from that game, that also led to me hiring out any books i could get about boxing from the local library just to look at the pictures and study guys records, just brilliant, simpler times.

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

In what world would you ever think that could actually happen? 

In this world, you saw last time Chisora tried to step up to someone outside a boxing ring, he got his backside handed to him, Prograis is not to be messed with.

27 minutes ago, Gooner said:

In this world, you saw last time Chisora tried to step up to someone outside a boxing ring, he got his backside handed to him, Prograis is not to be messed with.

Prograis also weighs about 120lbs less then Chisora and about half a foot shorter.

Absolute Mark