Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

19 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

i don't get the comparisions with Tyson tbh.

The comparison is visual for the most part. In a world of boxers who wear long, brightly coloured shorts plastered with sponsors, with the modern, standard boxing boots with socks, Dubois is wearing the relatively plain black shorts with the throwback ankle high black boxing boots. I'd be absolutely astounded if his ring attire wasn't a nod to Tyson.

He's also heavy-set with an impressive physique, and he throws with bad intentions. 

There's no way he steps foot in the US and the fight commentators don't draw that comparison, and that's a good thing as it sets him apart, doesn't it? Even fighting in the UK, if & when he starts getting some coverage on the US TV networks it'll be something that helps him stand out.

It was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw him, and it's why he stood out to me very early on. He was the guy who looked like a throwback Tyson.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Watch this. Just little snippets of Whitaker at his best...

Such a shame. Can’t say he was ever one of my favourite fighters or anything but was one of, if not the best technical boxer of his time. He’s someone I appreciated a lot more watching and revisiting old fights. 

Shame about Whitaker. He's always been someone that I have heard a lot about, especially his defensive skills. Sadly, I have never really read up about his career or watched many of his fights. 

Two PPV cards in the UK this weekend. There is the Matchroom card on Saturday evening, headlined by Whyte,vs Rivas and then Pac vs Thurman on ITV Box Office in the early hours of Sunday morning. I might cough up for the Matchroom card if I can find someone to go halves with me. It's at least on at a decent hour. But sod paying for Pac vs Thurman. It's a good fight, but I am not paying twice in the same weekend. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

i would have gone halves on the PPV with my mate but looks like theres a BBQ going on so i'll probably sack it off until Sunday. The card is pretty much all heavyweights and cruiserweights.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Watch this. Just little snippets of Whitaker at his best...

Such a shame. Can’t say he was ever one of my favourite fighters or anything but was one of, if not the best technical boxer of his time. He’s someone I appreciated a lot more watching and revisiting old fights. 

he's not someone I ever watched whilst he was active because it was quite time before i became a fan, but as someone who follows boxing now, Whitaker has to be amongst the most fondly remembered and respected fighters amongst other fighters and boxing people of all time, everyone loved Sweet Pea.

• Paid Members

Gorman never stood a chance.

Id like to see Dubois stay as British Champ clean out the division of credible challengers and win it outright. Theres probably a pressure to move on but it would nice to see it happen, especially due to his age.

Speaking of British title holders, anyone see Liam Williams on the undercard? since moving to Ingle and going upto Middleweight the guy seems a beast. 13 stoppage wins in a row (in amongst 2 defeats to Liam Smith) but the few he's scored since moving gyms have just been nasty. The guy he put away Saturday had never been stopped and had gone 12 with the likes of David Lemieux, Williams destroyed him. Exciting times, he's great to watch.

• Paid Members

Amir Khan’s done an interview with IFL where he confirms that him and Manny Pacquiao have signed to fight each other in Saudi Arabia on 8th November. That’s regardless of the result of Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman on Saturday. It’s coming years later than would’ve been ideal but I’m still looking forward to it. I think Pacquiao vs Khan is one of those fights that was always going to be exciting to watch no matter when it happened. 

• Paid Members

Im not surprised now that Saudi Arabia is in play. If they were willing to pay £7million for Khan against a no-hoper you've gotta know they'd bust the bank proper for a big fight. Khan associated and angled himself brilliantly over there to make some serious money. The event on Friday was weird as fuck watching it on TV but it made sense to the people in attendance, they were loving it. Bet it did huge TV numbers out there too.

• Paid Members

If the Saudis treat their boxing like they do their pro wrestling then I fully expect to see Holyfield vs Tyson 3 by the end of the year. And maybe that Lennox Lewis vs Riddick Bowe fight we were meant to get back in 92 finally happens as well.