Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

I think having Frank Bruno in the corner and show up in promotional pieces with Dubois is a smart move. Warren clearly wants to push Dubois as a new Bruno-esque character, and whilst he doesn't have the personality, he does have a quiet likeability.

In the ring though he has mean intentions and that will always lend well to a heavyweight, the guy is nasty and seems to type that gets angrier the more you hit him and he comes hard. That'll make for exciting fights and i could see him becoming an attraction based on that alone. He seems incredibly compact when he fight too despite being 6'4. He has Tyson-esque qualities the way he ducks in and thows hard hooks.

If he continues to progress as he is, you can bet that his US debut won't be far behind, and he's immediately going to catch the eye over there for his ring attire alone. The black shorts and old school ankle-length black boxing boots coupled with his physique will immediately draw comparisons with Tyson.

And while he may not be quite as menacing as Tyson, his ability to put opponents away is equally impressive.

I get the Tyson comparisons. He has got that feel of very early Tyson when Tyson was just a 20 year old quiet killer. The quiet intensity, the KO power, the black shorts and boots etc. But he’s bigger than Tyson and isn’t a bully and a rapist. He’s Nice Tyson. 

Yeah, but what that comparison brings is something to differentiate him from the rest of the division. And that's always a good thing.

i don't get the comparisions with Tyson tbh. Tyson looked an absoloute menace, like a shark. I remember seeing pictures and reports of Tyson in magazines before i actually saw him fight and he had the x factor, charisma without even talking. Dubois, while he seems a nice young man has zero charisma and putting Bruno with him will not help.

Dont see the point of going to America. They have Wilder, WBC Heavyweight  Champ, who can talk, knock people out for fun and he still cant sell out the Barclay Centre and is not even a PPV fighter. I think Dubois should try and make the 02 his house, much like AJ and look for a big domestic clash with Whyte or Chisora and go from there. He seems to have all the tools though to go all the way based on lastnights performance. 

the Tyson comparison for me is loose but based purely on the way he throws some of his shots...obviously the shorts/boots will always make people mention it as well though.

19 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

i don't get the comparisions with Tyson tbh.

The comparison is visual for the most part. In a world of boxers who wear long, brightly coloured shorts plastered with sponsors, with the modern, standard boxing boots with socks, Dubois is wearing the relatively plain black shorts with the throwback ankle high black boxing boots. I'd be absolutely astounded if his ring attire wasn't a nod to Tyson.

He's also heavy-set with an impressive physique, and he throws with bad intentions. 

There's no way he steps foot in the US and the fight commentators don't draw that comparison, and that's a good thing as it sets him apart, doesn't it? Even fighting in the UK, if & when he starts getting some coverage on the US TV networks it'll be something that helps him stand out.

It was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw him, and it's why he stood out to me very early on. He was the guy who looked like a throwback Tyson.

Edited by David

That is horrible news to hear about "Sweet Pea" leaving us. One of the best defensive, pure fighters to ever put on a pair of boxing gloves. R.I.P.

Watch this. Just little snippets of Whitaker at his best...

Such a shame. Can’t say he was ever one of my favourite fighters or anything but was one of, if not the best technical boxer of his time. He’s someone I appreciated a lot more watching and revisiting old fights. 

Shame about Whitaker. He's always been someone that I have heard a lot about, especially his defensive skills. Sadly, I have never really read up about his career or watched many of his fights. 

Two PPV cards in the UK this weekend. There is the Matchroom card on Saturday evening, headlined by Whyte,vs Rivas and then Pac vs Thurman on ITV Box Office in the early hours of Sunday morning. I might cough up for the Matchroom card if I can find someone to go halves with me. It's at least on at a decent hour. But sod paying for Pac vs Thurman. It's a good fight, but I am not paying twice in the same weekend. 

Edited by jimufctna24

i would have gone halves on the PPV with my mate but looks like theres a BBQ going on so i'll probably sack it off until Sunday. The card is pretty much all heavyweights and cruiserweights.

17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Watch this. Just little snippets of Whitaker at his best...

Such a shame. Can’t say he was ever one of my favourite fighters or anything but was one of, if not the best technical boxer of his time. He’s someone I appreciated a lot more watching and revisiting old fights. 

he's not someone I ever watched whilst he was active because it was quite time before i became a fan, but as someone who follows boxing now, Whitaker has to be amongst the most fondly remembered and respected fighters amongst other fighters and boxing people of all time, everyone loved Sweet Pea.