Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

If Joshua manages to get through Ruiz in the rematch. The WBO have made Usyk the mandatory challenger for the world title.

Billy Dib has been named as Amir Khan's new opponent in the exhibition fight in Saudi Arabia. The original opponent Neeraj Goyat was in a car crash. Dib retired last August, then came out of retirement in April and fought at lightweight. This fights at welterweight.

Khan still banging on about fighting Pacquio. The man never learns. Was claiming a date is set according to some websites. Give it up Amir, it’s not happening. 

Joe Parker fighting from America this weekend incase anyone doesnt know, i imagine on Sky Sports. 

2 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Khan still banging on about fighting Pacquio. The man never learns.

Never learns what? To stop trying to push for a fight that he wants and that would make him a lot of money? Yeah, what a mug he is.

I think its great Khan will be earning a load of dough for his next fight, for fighting a lightweight i’ve never heard off, but much like the Mayweather fight he spoke about for years that was never happening, the Pacquio fight isnt either.

I honestly think Khan should retire, he’s had some brutal KO’s in his career, he has a shit load of cash and has just celebrated his childs first birthday. If he does fight anyone near the top 5 of his division he is getting beat conclusively and putting himself in danger.

The Crawford performance was pretty lame. I’m not on about the ending, people can have their opinion on that, but the rounds previous, he doesnt have his lightening speed anymore, and without that what does he have? Why risk brain damage for a couple of extra digits in the bank.

He was one of the Worlds most exciting fighters to watch for a few years, but now he is a sitting duck.

Edited by Porkchopcash

5 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

I think its great Khan will be earning a load of dough for his next fight, for fighting a lightweight i’ve never heard off, but much like the Mayweather fight he spoke about for years that was never happening, the Pacquio fight isnt either.

He's fighting a replacement because the original opponent fell through. The first fight was going to be somewhat historic, and I can absolutely see why he'd take that.

As for the Pacquiao fight, I actually think there's probably a better chance of it happening now than any time in the recent past, and if there's a chance, why shouldn't he do all he can to make it happen? It appears to be a fight that he'll probably look back on in his later years and think "what if?" should it never happen.

If he beats this guy he's fighting and somehow manages to get the Pacquiao bout then fair fucks to him. There's really no better way to go out.

• Paid Members

decent MTK Global show free on youtube this evening from 6. Ohara Davies headlines.

Speaking of Pacquiao. His fight with Keith Thurman is on ITV Box Office on July 20th, PPV everywhere.

Im not sure where i stand on Khan right now. I think its pretty clear that his days as an elite fighter are done but he still has a marketable name where he can land big money fights. I dont knock him for the Saudi thing either, if hes getting paid £7 million for fighting a journeyman then god bless him, it should also be a decent indicator of what he has left. The fight is in association with the Super Fight League thing which Khan has stakes in so he can probably continue to fight there and make good money as a bit of a showcase fighter.  

Edited by Egg Shen

On 6/26/2019 at 10:21 AM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So anyone who fancies seeing Vasyl Lomachenko fight in the flesh, O2 arena 31st of August against Luke Campbell. Can't imagine it will last long. 

Yeah i am fearful that Campbell is gonna get his head knocked off 😨

Watched the last few rounds of Guillermo Rigondeaux v Julio Ceja from last week. Rigondeaux had completely changed his elusive style and boxed in the pocket against Ceja. It wasn't working well, Ceja had landed a quarter more punches than Rigondeaux and had a better punch connectivity ratio. Ceja was up on all the scorecards.

In the last ten seconds of round 8, Ceja got caught and dropped, he was up at 6, answered the referee's commands but the referee waved the fight off. The round was over and he would have had one minute to recover. If he was in no fit state to continue, his team or the referee could have ended the fight then. Ceja has since appealed the decision.

• Paid Members

It’s a few days out of date now because this was recorded before Joesph Parker’s fight at the weekend but I just watched this interview with David Higgins on IFL...

What an odd but strangely likeable character he is. I wasn’t familiar with him at all until the buildup to AJ vs Parker and for a fight with little in the way of trash talk or hype, Higgins was the most entertaining thing about the lead-in to that one. Sky knew it as well, they even did a separate Hearn vs Higgins ‘Gloves Are Off’. Ever since then, if I see a David Higgins interview I’m clicking on it. Highlight of this one is the story he tells about going to Eddie Hearn’s Essex mansion when they were signing the AJ-Parker fight. I love that Parker has a fucking mouthpiece manager, pro wrestling style. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, Higgins is gold. Hearn has said everything was pointing and pushing the rivalry with Higgins to turn nasty in the build up but he couldnt help but like him. The best part of Parker signing with Matchroom was that it means we'll get more Higgins.

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Highlight of this one is the story he tells about going to Eddie Hearn’s Essex mansion when they were signing the AJ-Parker fight

In fairness, I would have laughed like a drain at the sight of Higgins in a string-vest. 

But aye, I can't get enough of him either.