Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, that was just about perfect. Predictably I’m seeing a lot of ‘well Schwarz was a bum’ but whether that’s the case or not, if he was a bum then Tyson did what he was supposed to do and beat him with ease. 

The Tyson Creed entrance was class. For anyone who didn’t see it; 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, that was just about perfect. Predictably I’m seeing a lot of ‘well Schwarz was a bum’ but whether that’s the case or not, if he was a bum then Tyson did what he was supposed to do and beat him with ease.

After the Joshua fight I hoped this sort of talk would be hushed a little. Schwarz was number 2 in the WBO rankings, so he's not a complete can at all. He just isn't close to Tyson Fury's skill level, which was very clearly on show. I suppose it points to how dominant Fury was that people are completely discrediting the abilities of Schwartz.

Anyone see the Crusierweight semi's for the WBSS? Krzysztof Glowacki vs. Mairis Briedis. It all kicked off in the 2nd round. Both were being a bit dirty and the referee had already warned them once. In another clinch, Glowacki threw a punch that caught Briedis on the back of the head. Briedis retaliated by elbowing Glowacki square in the face knocking him down. Referee, Robert Byrd wasn't having any of it and ordered Glowacki back to his feet. The fight continued and shortly after, Glowacki was still clearly hurt and went down from a Briedis onslaught. The round was about to end and the bell was ringing but the referee didn't stop the round, Briedis kept coming forward hammering Glowacki and he went down again. Finally the round was over, Glowacki's corner were incensed about the extra time. Round 3 started with a Briedis flurry, Glowacki went down and was all over the shop, referee had to stop the fight, declaring Briedis the winner.

Brieids has now admitted to elbowing on purpose.  "I think the referee didn't do nothing (about the punch to the back of the head), then I did a little bit of a dirty punch but I'm sorry for how I responded, it's my old Muay Thai style,"

Was there any point to having another World Boxing Super Series in the Crusierweight Division so soon? Usyk beat everyone in their own hometown's last year to win the tournament decisively. The other finalist Murat Gassiev has also moved up to heavyweight. Seem's more like a way for the Sauerlands to line their pocked with a who's best out of the rest tournament.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Schwarz was number 2 in the WBO rankings, so he's not a complete can at all.

That dont mean anything, Schwarz was ranked no.2 without beating anyone close to even being ranked in the top 15. Boxing rankings are all politics.

That said, as said above it was the perfect showcase for Fury. I was worried that he'd plod along in control without an urgency but Fury did his job and got Schwarz out in style which is what he had to do, lively crowd too. The Americans lap up all his goofy shit too, they love him.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If you haven't seen the Super Series Cruiserweight semi finals from last night you need too. The first one is a good fight, the second one is an unbelievable farce. How Breidis wasn't disqualified I don't know. 

Just watched it. Absolute madness. That referee was awful. Made a right arse of it, first with failing to act on the elbow then somehow allowing Breidis to deliver more punishment for a good 10-15 seconds after the round ended. I saw him signalling that he never heard the bell but it was ringing non-stop for ages. I think he just dropped a massive bollock and completely lost control of the fight. 

I thought Johnny Nelson was chatting bollocks after the fight as well, giving Glowacki shit for “milking it” after the elbow. It was clearly more than that, it was the big turning point in the fight and I have no doubt that Glowacki was genuinely badly hurt. If he was just “milking it like the footballers do” then he’d have soon recovered fully once he knew there would be no punishment to Breidis from the ref. But he never did recover. He got dropped again quickly after that elbow (after the bell, to boot) and then was stopped early in the following round. He was never right after that elbow. I thought Nelson’s comments were pretty terrible, to be honest. Especially when he said something like “You can’t just stay down. Not in this game. You might’ve been hurt but you weren’t hurt enough.” Who’s he to decide how hurt Glowacki was? Just because he went down in a sort of delayed reaction doesn’t mean he didn’t have his bell rung. A flush elbow on the jaw from close quarters like that, could seriously fuck you up. And again, he was swiftly dropped twice more shortly after that and the fight was over. It obviously wasn’t just a case of Glowacki acting. 

I liked Adam Booth doing the analyst stuff though. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 6/21/2019 at 8:00 AM, jimufctna24 said:

Just a heads up.

There is a Matchroom card on SKY tonight from York Hall. It's headlined by Conor Benn. 

For anyone that didn’t see it, definitely give the Benn fight a watch. 

Never heard of Koivula but I thought he may have given Benn a little test after checking out his resume. 1st round, highlighted both fighters flaws. Koivula has no power and Benn has no defence. 2nd round was more of the same until Koivula got in too close and got caught with a hook come uppercut which started his demise.

Benn is now ranked 8th in the WBA standings. Josh Kelly is ranked 9th. If the pair of them fought, I think it would be an easy nights work for Kelly.