Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

That’s the problem with Yarde. Nobody knows how good he is because he’s never fought anyone of note. From what I’ve seen I’d definitely favour Kovalev though. He’s lost a few steps but this is still a big step up for Yarde. I haven’t seen anything from Yarde that’s blown me away, even against lower level opposition. If he gets by Kovalev I think Buatsi eventually ends the hype good and proper.

Kovalev although has lost a step is still a very underated boxer, people just think of him as a powerhouse, his last fight, was it against Alvarez? He boxed very well. Different trainer now as well with Buddy Mggirt will hold him in good sted. 

Unless Yarde has got some underated power or boxing skills i am yet to see, i would fancy a Kovalev points win. 

Warren wouldnt let Yarde near Buatsi. No way! If Yarde did win it would be back to defending against unknown fighters like Warren tends to do....Terry Flanagan is a classic example of how Warren books his WBO champs

Tony Yoka is back in action tonight against Alexander Dimitrenko. Yoka has been banned for one year for missing 3 drug tests in a row. He won gold at the Olympics in 2016 beating Joe Joyce in the finals. This is only his sixth fight and looks to being fast-tracked to getting ranked.

dont leave out that he has a stoppage win over Dave fucking Allen!

Joe Joyce continues to baffle everyone. He beat Jennings comfortably on the cards but he looked terrible, slow, plodding, too easy to hit, showboating at weird times. It was just a weird performance in a weird fight. The backlash on twitter was brutal with most think Jennings deserved better on the cards as he was tidier fighter and landed the better shots all night. Joyce just stayed in front of him pushing out them weird punches he throws. Barry Jones summed it up on commentary saying it looked like "Joyce punches like he's under water". The crowd didnt like it, i scratched my head all fight and you have to wonder where Joyce goes next because he has little to no fan fair and nobodys gonna wanna fight him because hes an absolute nightmare.

Edited by Egg Shen

Yeah, it was an odd fight. Franky Shoulder Roll was on about Dubois vs Joyce at the end but I’m not sure that’s the move. It makes sense in a way but there’s every chance Joyce makes it a stinker and that’s the last thing Dubois needs coming off tonight. Dubois had his best all-round showing to date for me, just won a title and took a fellow undefeated British fighter’s O. He might well KO Joyce but I see that fight being an awkward, teeth pulling plodfest that could stifle the bit of momentum Triple D gained tonight. 

I live just outside of Nantwich. I asked my Dad if the local population card about Gorman's career. His response was that "they don't give a toss". Probably for the best after that performance. Dubois looked pretty good though. 

19 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

The backlash on twitter was brutal with most thing Jennings deserved better on the cards as he was tidier fighter and landed the better shots all night.

Aye, that was the feeling on a few forums I lurk on. I only caught the second half of the fight. Jennings landed some decent shots and certainly won a few rounds. It was at least better than the Hughie Fury vs Samuel Peter fight on Friday night. What a shitshow that was. 

6 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

It was at least better than the Hughie Fury vs Samuel Peter fight on Friday night. What a shitshow that was. 

Dave Allen on Twitter was the most entertaining thing about that fight. 

DA2E2D01-7B9C-4D49-B8C1-8CD97AAE23BB.jpeg

I think Dubois is a bit to light on his feet for Joyce and would outbox him or possibly chin him if they fought. They should be kept apart for now for booking purposes. I get the criticism of Joyce but he did win that fight by a few rounds imo. His style is strange but then look at Wilders? He cant string basic boxing combinations together and he’s top 2 in the world. 

I dont know if Gorman fought the wrong fight or Dubios was just to big and powerful for him. I thought Gorman should have been on his toes a little and not start exchanging until the later rounds. Dubois looked good though. He should definately be ranked top 10 on that performance. Would fancy Dubois over all the heavyweights on next weeks card other than Whyte and that wouldnt be a gimme for Whyte by no means.

Edited by Porkchopcash

I like Joe Joyce, he's like something out of the sports section of Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Joe Joyce, the Boxing Robot. They program in his settings and away he goes. One of the rounds they added in Sugar Ray Leonard's attributes. Joyce was throwing the worlds slowest bolo punches.

It was a poor fight, Jennings landed the better shots but Joyce just constantly punches, nothings really landing he just smothers the opponents work. I'm sure Jennings was known for having pretty good footwork but for large parts of the fight he was stuck on the ropes being leant on. He even had the superior reach advantage, so could have boxed and moved. I don't think it would take much for Joyce to get confused in there.

Dubois looks to have a decent engine on him for someone who throws big power behind pretty much every shot, simply had too much for Gorman. 

Imagine that fight last night had been Dubois going up against a Bulgarian journeyman with a lukewarm record who looked and fought like Gorman did. We'd all be saying this morning that it's fine beating guys like that, but it's time to step up a bit. That's how good he looked last night.

It wasn't even a competitive contest. It was only a matter of time before Gorman got caught and put down. I really like the look of Dubois, I think he's going to be the real deal.

Seems a nice guy as well. He gets a bit of stick for his dry personality but I’d rather him be himself than a cringeworthy fake trash talker. Plus he’s only 21. 

While we’re talking ages, I’m not having that Gorman is only 23 years old.