Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I live just outside of Nantwich. I asked my Dad if the local population card about Gorman's career. His response was that "they don't give a toss". Probably for the best after that performance. Dubois looked pretty good though. 

19 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

The backlash on twitter was brutal with most thing Jennings deserved better on the cards as he was tidier fighter and landed the better shots all night.

Aye, that was the feeling on a few forums I lurk on. I only caught the second half of the fight. Jennings landed some decent shots and certainly won a few rounds. It was at least better than the Hughie Fury vs Samuel Peter fight on Friday night. What a shitshow that was. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

It was at least better than the Hughie Fury vs Samuel Peter fight on Friday night. What a shitshow that was. 

Dave Allen on Twitter was the most entertaining thing about that fight. 

DA2E2D01-7B9C-4D49-B8C1-8CD97AAE23BB.jpeg

I think Dubois is a bit to light on his feet for Joyce and would outbox him or possibly chin him if they fought. They should be kept apart for now for booking purposes. I get the criticism of Joyce but he did win that fight by a few rounds imo. His style is strange but then look at Wilders? He cant string basic boxing combinations together and he’s top 2 in the world. 

I dont know if Gorman fought the wrong fight or Dubios was just to big and powerful for him. I thought Gorman should have been on his toes a little and not start exchanging until the later rounds. Dubois looked good though. He should definately be ranked top 10 on that performance. Would fancy Dubois over all the heavyweights on next weeks card other than Whyte and that wouldnt be a gimme for Whyte by no means.

Edited by Porkchopcash

I like Joe Joyce, he's like something out of the sports section of Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Joe Joyce, the Boxing Robot. They program in his settings and away he goes. One of the rounds they added in Sugar Ray Leonard's attributes. Joyce was throwing the worlds slowest bolo punches.

It was a poor fight, Jennings landed the better shots but Joyce just constantly punches, nothings really landing he just smothers the opponents work. I'm sure Jennings was known for having pretty good footwork but for large parts of the fight he was stuck on the ropes being leant on. He even had the superior reach advantage, so could have boxed and moved. I don't think it would take much for Joyce to get confused in there.

Imagine that fight last night had been Dubois going up against a Bulgarian journeyman with a lukewarm record who looked and fought like Gorman did. We'd all be saying this morning that it's fine beating guys like that, but it's time to step up a bit. That's how good he looked last night.

It wasn't even a competitive contest. It was only a matter of time before Gorman got caught and put down. I really like the look of Dubois, I think he's going to be the real deal.

• Paid Members

Seems a nice guy as well. He gets a bit of stick for his dry personality but I’d rather him be himself than a cringeworthy fake trash talker. Plus he’s only 21. 

While we’re talking ages, I’m not having that Gorman is only 23 years old. 

• Paid Members

I think having Frank Bruno in the corner and show up in promotional pieces with Dubois is a smart move. Warren clearly wants to push Dubois as a new Bruno-esque character, and whilst he doesn't have the personality, he does have a quiet likeability.

In the ring though he has mean intentions and that will always lend well to a heavyweight, the guy is nasty and seems to type that gets angrier the more you hit him and he comes hard. That'll make for exciting fights and i could see him becoming an attraction based on that alone. He seems incredibly compact when he fight too despite being 6'4. He has Tyson-esque qualities the way he ducks in and thows hard hooks.

If he continues to progress as he is, you can bet that his US debut won't be far behind, and he's immediately going to catch the eye over there for his ring attire alone. The black shorts and old school ankle-length black boxing boots coupled with his physique will immediately draw comparisons with Tyson.

And while he may not be quite as menacing as Tyson, his ability to put opponents away is equally impressive.

• Paid Members

I get the Tyson comparisons. He has got that feel of very early Tyson when Tyson was just a 20 year old quiet killer. The quiet intensity, the KO power, the black shorts and boots etc. But he’s bigger than Tyson and isn’t a bully and a rapist. He’s Nice Tyson. 

i don't get the comparisions with Tyson tbh. Tyson looked an absoloute menace, like a shark. I remember seeing pictures and reports of Tyson in magazines before i actually saw him fight and he had the x factor, charisma without even talking. Dubois, while he seems a nice young man has zero charisma and putting Bruno with him will not help.

Dont see the point of going to America. They have Wilder, WBC Heavyweight  Champ, who can talk, knock people out for fun and he still cant sell out the Barclay Centre and is not even a PPV fighter. I think Dubois should try and make the 02 his house, much like AJ and look for a big domestic clash with Whyte or Chisora and go from there. He seems to have all the tools though to go all the way based on lastnights performance. 

• Paid Members

the Tyson comparison for me is loose but based purely on the way he throws some of his shots...obviously the shorts/boots will always make people mention it as well though.