Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Yeh Hearn pretty much says Ruiz has no say. However the longer the fight goes without being announced the more dubious i am of it actually happening in Cardiff. Ruiz will have everyone in his ear filling him with all sorts of ideas. If he doesnt fight Joshua i imagine he’d get stripped of a coupla belts. 

Ruiz v Wilder must sound good to US promoters and TV execs.

• Paid Members

That’s what Hearn is saying is the case. It feels like Ruiz should have say in it but if they signed the contract agreeing to the rematch clause then what can you do? The fairest thing would be to just do it somewhere neutral and have non British/American judges and referee etc. But to rake in the most money then surely it’s in the US again.

Taking all that out of it, for me as a fan, doing it back at MSG would be the coolest one to see. AJ going back to the same place where he got beat to try to exorcise the Snickers fuelled demon. The story writes itself. 

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

That’s what Hearn is saying is the case. It feels like Ruiz should have say in it but if they signed the contract agreeing to the rematch clause then what can you do?

He can refuse to fight? He wouldn't be the first fighter to renege on a contract, and let's be honest, what's going to happen then? They strip him of his belts? Who gives a fuck, he'd still be the guy who clobbered the great Anthony Joshua, and more importantly it would mean Joshua not getting that win back.

If anything it would hurt Joshua more not getting the fight. Ruiz could easily claim that he isn't wanting to fight in the UK because of the shady business with Whyte recently, and he;d likely win that argument in court if need be.

His bargaining position just got even better with that news being released.

• Paid Members

There's alot of rumors floating around online that AJ will take a fight before fighting Ruiz. Hearn denies it but some pretty reputable sources are saying otherwise. Theres talks of new trainers too. I get the sense that all is not well in the AJ camp.

I heard Hearn talk about the contract situation too and he basically said if Ruiz refuses the fight and terms there's a huge legal procedure that is best avoided. Ruiz will have some leverage but hes basically sitting in the position now that Dillian Whyte wanted to avoid when an automatic rematch was written into the contract when he was offered the Joshua fight. 

latest Hearn:

https://youtu.be/vBhfGRV7D4Y

Edited by Egg Shen

17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I heard Hearn talk about the contract situation too and he basically said if Ruiz refuses the fight and terms there's a huge legal procedure that is best avoided.

Unfortunately, the recent situation with Whyte isn't going to do Hearn and his lawyers any favours in that regard. It wouldn't take a legal mastermind to stand up in court and say "we don't want to fight in the UK, this promoter ran a show a while back and they allowed a fight to continue despite drug tests coming back negatively. My client would be fearful that he'd be treated unfairly" or something to that effect.

I can think of no court in the fucking land who'd force Ruiz to fight in the UK if an argument like that is put forward. 

First time i’ve ever watched this fight in full. Wow, what a great fight.  I never watched it in full as from reading magazines at the time i just thought they were over the hill. The first was a classic 8 year earlier and so is this. Even as a kid i thought Leonards clobber was a bit strange for boxing, his robe. 

Hearns is only 30, Leonard 33. Marvelous Marvin on colour cant hide that he wants Tommy to win. 

I read an article in Boxing Monthly about 10 years ago, comparing Tommy to Amir Khan, not credintials wise but vulnaribilty Wise its true! The “Bullshit” chants in the post fight interviews show you who the fans and most people thought won.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Yeah, Leonard vs Hearns 2 was good, despite Sugar Ray’s Where’s Wally? shorts. Haven’t seen it in donkeys years but definitely remember thinking Hearns won it. By 1989 they kind of were both over the hill, they were both past their primes. Leonard only fought a handful of fights after. Hearns actually fought until 2006 and didn’t do too badly but, I’ve seen a few of his later fights and he was clearly not what he once was. But in 89 it was a good fight regardless. I think with those two against each other, the pride/ego thing made them bring the best out of themselves. 

Whatever you do, if you haven’t watched Leonard vs Duran 3 from later that year, don’t. Easily the worst fight of all the Four Kings lot. Even as much of a mess as their second fight was, at least it had the ‘No Mas’ talking point. The third fight was just 12 rounds of nothingness in front of a dead crowd. Duran was coming off the great fight against Iran Barkley so I can see why it seemed like the time do settle the Leonard thing. But Duran seemed to just turn up for the paycheque in that last Leonard fight. I’ll have to dig out the Four Kings book and see what was said about that one, if there was any other reason for it being so shite. 

Definitely watch Duran vs Barkley though if you haven’t before. Probably Duran’s last proper win against a younger, bigger, legit fighter...

And here’s Barkley talking about Duran years later;

Around 2 mins in for the Duran talk. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Nothing makes me feel older than seeing one of my favourite boxers turned pro while Elvis was top of the charts! 

In this months Boxing Monthly, theres a journo who compares Duran to Lomachenko. Duran didnt even live the life in his later years either and still kicked ass. I loved Duran, Hearns and Hagler, but i couldnt warm and still cant warm to SRL as much of a nice guy he is now, he seemed to put business ahead of prestige. You can clearly see who Floyd patented himself after with the multi retirements and timing of fights. (I know its prizefighting).

Read an interview with Don Curry aswell this week, what a man, still only 57 and in great shape. Such a positive man. Spoke how he was disillusioned heading in to to Honeyghan fight as he was p4p number 1 and fighting someone he had never off abd wasnt getting the fights ir money he wanted. Despite never being the same after the fight he did go on to win a title at the weight above. He was also favourite to win Gold in Moscow 80 before everyone boycotted, other than Alan Wells. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

I like all of the 4 kings. 

Leonard is probably the best of the bunch. There is a reason why most boxing experts think he would have beaten Mayweather if they met in their respective primes. But he did get a bit lucky with the judges when he fought the other "kings". I felt Hearns did enough to beat him in their rematch. I also had Hagler edging him as well. 

14 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

But Duran seemed to just turn up for the paycheque in that last Leonard fight. I’ll have to dig out the Four Kings book and see what was said about that one, if there was any other reason for it being so shite.

Duran's cornerman blamed the ref for not letting Duran work on the inside. However, the book's main conclusion was that Duran was too slow at that stage of his career ("legs of stone), and Leonard fought a risk-free, but occasionally dirty, fight. 

I love that book btw.