Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Thing is it usually gets more interesting when a fighter loses his 0, because I want to see how he reacts to that loss. As has been mentioned, Joshua was never a rare fighting genius who looked untouchable through sheer talent alone, he's a good boxer who got there through hard work, so it'll be intriguing to see how this loss affects whether he improves or caves. I hope it's the former.

• Paid Members

I cant ever recall a reaction like this to a fight.

Agree with what David said above though, whilst i did think AJ was looking agitated pre-fight and there was some odd stuff happening like the neck massage and him chewing the mouthguard, until he got hurt in round 3 i wouldnt have thought anything was amiss. I thought they both took a round each of the first 2, fight was just warming up. The actual combination/left hook that dropped Ruiz in round 3 was sweet, AJ's downfall was following up and not anticipating Ruiz would throw back as he did.

• Paid Members

In fairness to AJ and his team, they've never once bothered with an excuse. I mean compare the way his team has handled a legit, humiliating loss to the way Wilder's team were acting over their draw (with Wilder claiming Fury was down for 17 minutes). AJ isn't looking to blame anything.

It's a terrific story, isn't it? Just when I was starting to become a tad disillusioned with boxing, and the top three avoiding each other and making shitloads of dough for doing so, we get something like this that reminds me exactly why I love the sport.

Anything can happen, and someone's life can change for better (or worse, unfortunately) in the span of a three minute round.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

It's a terrific story, isn't it?

Yep, amazing. It might just be my favorite ever moment to witness as a fan. It was the fact that Ruiz wasn't just being written off as a no hoper beforehand, he was being seen as an embarrassment by the majority of the internet fanbase. Add to that he still came in so unassuming and just looked to happy to be there depsite the backlash. Then he goes in and destroys a guy like Joshua with ability nobody thought he had...then acts as humble as humanly possible afterwards. Incredible. 

In a time when so many top fighters are avoiding each other and turning down fights over money, a chubby Mexican called for his shot, got it and seized it with his fists. They'll make a movie about it one day.

Edited by Egg Shen

The only way they could top it would be for Ruiz to win the rematch, then announce his retirement while a statue of him is unveiled in Mexico only for Mr T to show up in the crowd creating a fracas.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

back to Tyson Fury, a lot of people gave him credit for his tweet after the fight Saturday night...

fast forward a day or two and he's making comments like this on ESPN:

Is he just trolling everyone? or is it simply a case of him not being able to help himself when there's camera thrust in front of him?

• Paid Members

As David alluded to, Tyson is just being clever. I mean, he has very clearly stated how much he likes Wilder but it didn't stop him calling Wilder a "dosser" etc.

Anyway, I think Ruiz is great news for boxing. Not only does it create another name in the mix, but a Mexican HW champion (who looks like him) could be absolutely massive for the sport. If I'm on Team Wilder or Fury I'm thinking this could be a lot worse from a money point of view, should Ruiz get a 2nd win over AJ.

all honesty, the sooner we see Fury and Wilder lose as well, the better. It's this infatuation with an unbeaten record that is keeping these guys apart I think, and once they start losing they'll realise that all of the great fighters with a few notable exceptions lose. It happens.

This is absolutely spot on. Well said. Its my biggest annoyance with modern boxing