Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

28 minutes ago, David said:

Break down in the ring and start crying? Lock himself in his dressing room in a huff?

If anything he’d get a year in WWE and only lose his final match. Might need better shorts though. 

conspiracy theories abound. 

Theres a video doing the rounds now of Joshua's dad having a pop at Eddie Hearn in the ring post-fight apparently due to Joshua being knocked out in sparring and having requests for a fight postponement being denied. The reasoning there might be utter bollocks, but hes definitely having a pop at Eddie about something.

Always a drama 😄

11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

conspiracy theories abound. 

Theres a video doing the rounds now of Joshua's dad having a pop at Eddie Hearn in the ring post-fight apparently due to Joshua being knocked out in sparring and having requests for a fight postponement being denied. The reasoning there might be utter bollocks, but hes definitely having a pop at Eddie about something.

Always a drama 😄

There was a suspicious mark on AJ's left cheek a couple of days before the fight. An interviewer noticed it and asked about it but AJ said something like it was "physio stuff", but when pressed what he meant he just explained "physiotherapy". Again, maybe it's nothing important - at least AJ said that.

I noticed that AJ was also having his neck massaged in the ring before the fight. Adam Booth also made reference to it in an interview with Boxing Social. Either way, the truth should eventually leak out. 

Speaking of Booth, he also claimed that there were some funny games going on backstage with Ray Robinson's camp. He said he couldn't expand any further due to libel laws.

Edited by jimufctna24

It's weird, I noticed that AJ had his boots on the wrong feet and had only trimmed half of his beard pre-fight. Sounds like he was knocked out in sparring to me! 

In all honesty I think it's natural that people are going to look for extenuating circumstances for Joshua's loss.

We can all sit here and talk about how Andy Ruiz brought the fight and so on, but for many fans, especially casual fans, it's hard to wrap your head around someone like Ruiz absolutely battering a physical specimen like Joshua. Especially with how he's been built up in the UK media to be the greatest heavyweight fighter on the planet.

It wasn't supposed to go down that way. When Joshua dropped Ruiz he was supposed to get up, then get knocked down again and either stay down, or rise for another few shots before the ref steps in, then we could all get back to talking about when those frightened bums Fury and Wilder would finally muster up the courage to step in there with the best in the business.

I don't think he looked any different early on, and up until he put Ruiz down it looked like business as usual. Even fast Ed says he thought the fight was drawing to a close there. It's when the fat guy decided not to play nice that things went a bit pete tong.

Thing is it usually gets more interesting when a fighter loses his 0, because I want to see how he reacts to that loss. As has been mentioned, Joshua was never a rare fighting genius who looked untouchable through sheer talent alone, he's a good boxer who got there through hard work, so it'll be intriguing to see how this loss affects whether he improves or caves. I hope it's the former.

I cant ever recall a reaction like this to a fight.

Agree with what David said above though, whilst i did think AJ was looking agitated pre-fight and there was some odd stuff happening like the neck massage and him chewing the mouthguard, until he got hurt in round 3 i wouldnt have thought anything was amiss. I thought they both took a round each of the first 2, fight was just warming up. The actual combination/left hook that dropped Ruiz in round 3 was sweet, AJ's downfall was following up and not anticipating Ruiz would throw back as he did.

Sometimes the only explanation that's needed is that "dude got caught." Simple as that.

In fairness to AJ and his team, they've never once bothered with an excuse. I mean compare the way his team has handled a legit, humiliating loss to the way Wilder's team were acting over their draw (with Wilder claiming Fury was down for 17 minutes). AJ isn't looking to blame anything.

It's a terrific story, isn't it? Just when I was starting to become a tad disillusioned with boxing, and the top three avoiding each other and making shitloads of dough for doing so, we get something like this that reminds me exactly why I love the sport.

Anything can happen, and someone's life can change for better (or worse, unfortunately) in the span of a three minute round.

2 hours ago, David said:

It's a terrific story, isn't it?

Yep, amazing. It might just be my favorite ever moment to witness as a fan. It was the fact that Ruiz wasn't just being written off as a no hoper beforehand, he was being seen as an embarrassment by the majority of the internet fanbase. Add to that he still came in so unassuming and just looked to happy to be there depsite the backlash. Then he goes in and destroys a guy like Joshua with ability nobody thought he had...then acts as humble as humanly possible afterwards. Incredible. 

In a time when so many top fighters are avoiding each other and turning down fights over money, a chubby Mexican called for his shot, got it and seized it with his fists. They'll make a movie about it one day.

Edited by Egg Shen