Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, while they’re not the fights we want to see, you can’t knock Tyson for it. He’s making great money for doing easy work. 

It’s not ideal for us but he’s not boxing for us at the end of it. I actually don’t have a problem with it providing we get Fury vs Wilder 2 as is currently expected in early 2020. 

The thing is i love a Fury squash. If he has 3 squash matches entertaining me then 1 big fight where he shows how good he really is, i’m happy. Plus Bob Arum has done his cash on this! Funny thing us as well, he let Ruiz buy himself out of his contract with 1 fight left on it! He must be seething! Let Ruiz go with 1 fight left, then sign Fury for an £80 million five fight deal where he fights bums!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

wasn't it because Andy Ruiz Jr. went the distance with Zumbano Love that David ridiculed Ruiz as an opponent for AJ? 😄

I don't know about the David part but he went 8 rounds with Ruiz. Zumbano is another of these that everyone has to fight on the way up. 

• Paid Members

unnamed.0.jpg

live on BT Sports tonight. Im gonna watch it live with a big fuck off kebab. Ive not really got on the Michael Conlan bandwagon but no better place to start than tonight. Should be good.

• Paid Members

The Conlan show was decent if a little long (as most shows are).

My first real exposure to Conlan but its hard what to take away. BT were pushing him as being ready to get in there with some of the World Champions but theres no getting around the fact that Ruiz was piss poor. Things got a tad heated on the panel afterwards when Buncey brought that up. Conlan didnt put a foot wrong and forced the stoppage but the opponent put a bit of a dampener on it. Easy to see why Conlan is getting special treatment though, 10,000 hometown sellout, the kids got something.

I will be pissed if the result of Jenkins/Gallagher ends up screwing up my bet though (ive got 3 UFC fights on my slip too, all favorites). The fight ending cut was very clearly caused by a punch so Gallagher (a fair underdog, and on my slip) should have won by TKO. Instead Howard Foster (him again) deemed it a clash of heads and sent it to the cards where Jenkins won by a single point. £250 riding on that, i will be pissed.

• Paid Members

“Thankyou Jesus”. No wonder he doesn’t want the rematch in the UK. He doesn’t want to leave that mansion. 

This is great to see but I wonder if he’ll have the same motivation and drive now he’s made it to the top of the mountain. He’s a real fighter, no doubt. But watching this, and then knowing he’ll be getting paid even more for the rematch with AJ, I can’t help thinking there’s a chance he might lose the old ‘eye of the tiger’. Like when Buster Douglas shocked the world knocking out Tyson, then came in all fat and content against Holyfield and got crushed quick. I don’t think Ruiz is the same. I think the motivation for him here will be to go 2-0 over Joshua and prove he’s not a one hit wonder. But I don’t know.

So many questions surrounding this rematch. Date and venue for a start. Is the announcement coming this week again, like Hearn’s said every week for about the last month? 

On 8/2/2019 at 7:54 PM, Egg Shen said:

wasn't it because Andy Ruiz Jr. went the distance with Zumbano Love that David ridiculed Ruiz as an opponent for AJ? 😄

Yeah, that was my bad. I obviously overestimated AJ in that instance. Maybe a fight between Zumbano and AJ is the way to go if they can't get the Ruiz fight signed? Let AJ fight someone closer to his level? ;)

Fury could fight me in his next fight and it would still be hugely more entertaining than anything Joshua could put out there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Fury could fight me in his next fight and it would still be hugely more entertaining than anything Joshua could put out there.

Take my money now!

You've been right about how Joshua has been matched by Hearn but you can't say he hasn't been entertaining. That element of vulnerability has added to his fights no end. I love Fury, but his fight against Klitschko was nowhere near as entertaining as Joshua's was. 

6 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Take my money now!

You've been right about how Joshua has been matched by Hearn but you can't say he hasn't been entertaining. That element of vulnerability has added to his fights no end. I love Fury, but his fight against Klitschko was nowhere near as entertaining as Joshua's was. 

Fury's fight against Klitschko maybe wasn't as entertaining from a "I'll hit the floor, then you hit the floor" perspective, but I was far more impressed by Fury winning that fight how he did than I was Joshua doing it a year and a half later.

It's easy to forget now, but back then virtually everyone thought Fury was getting handled. There was very little by way of belief that he could go to Germany and beat a guy who hadn't lost in over ten years. I remember actually being shocked that the fight was made to begin with!

He not only got the win over Wlad, but he did so in what was Wlad's adopted back yard, and he schooled what was considered one of the most technically sound heavyweights in decades, perhaps of all time. 

Fury as a personality is far more entertaining I think, and he's easier to root for these days than AJ is, but you're right in that there's an element of vulnerability in Joshua that makes him must-watch. It's that same vulnerability though that will probably mean he's not remembered as one of the real greats of this generation when all is said and done.

• Paid Members

The main excitement in the Fury v Klitschko fight was wondering whether the judges were watching the same fight as everyone else, which can be a problem where home fighters are concerned all around the world, not just Germany. It was dull though to watch, as technically brilliant as it was. 

The vast majority of people are watching Heavyweight boxing for knockdowns and knockouts. The most exciting part of Fury/Wilder was Fury getting up from the knockdowns. That's what people talk about and remember. 

As for where AJ will end up in the pantheon of Heavyweight fighters, its early to say. When Lewis lost to McCall who would have predicted what he would go on to achieve at Heavyweight. You can really only judge a career when it is finished. 

Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

As for where AJ will end up in the pantheon of Heavyweight fighters, its early to say. When Lewis lost to McCall who would have predicted what he would go on to achieve at Heavyweight. You can really only judge a career when it is finished. 

I think AJ is a decent fighter, but he's been hyped up to fuck because he's British and he's had the Sky promotional machine behind him. I've said for years, his record has been carefully cultivated (well, as carefully cultivated as can be in boxing), which isn't a criticism of Hearn or AJ, because that's the name of the game in professional sports, especially combat sports. Only complete fucking dimwits choose to go out there and get their brain rattled more than they have to.

He's taken the big fights when he's had to, and he's faced some well-chosen opposition to make him look the part as well. We're seeing Fury doing the same thing. There's clearly a plan for him to make a dent in the US, and the way to do that is have him fight frequently in relatively low-risk bouts where he can showcase his ability and his personality. That will help bring in the eyes when the big fights eventually happen.

I just think that Joshua, for all his physical attributes, is a bit Bruno-esque for me. He looks to gas quite quickly, and I think he's decent enough at what he does, but if someone can force him out of his wheel house he doesn't seem able to adapt all that well, which is what marks a fighter as a generational great.

• Paid Members

I don't disagree with your assessment of AJ right at this point in time. The Bruno comparisons are always going to come because of his physique. It could be that Ruiz is is AJ's Bonecrusher Smith. Both AJ and Bruno had a similar amount of fights when they lost for the first time as well.