Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

I've never bought into Joshua as the greatest heavyweight out there today, and anyone's who's seen Joshua fight in the past would know he can be hit, and that he does tend to start blowing heavy if a fight is conducted at a pace not set by him.

yep, Ruiz never allowed AJ to really control the fight, he constantly stalked and anytime Joshua tried anything Ruiz fired off fast combinations and was beating AJ to the punch and hurting him. Its probably why Joshua failed to establish a jab, usually Joshua opponents go into a bit of a shell and allow Joshua to slowly dictate a pace, Ruiz forced AJ to have to do something different to be successful and he just didnt have an answer. Ruiz for a real basic fighter was awesome. AJ quit in round 7, the fight was beaten out of him, he didnt want to know.

There's been a couple of fights previously where i thought AJ got through by having opponents let him off the hook. Notably Wladamir and Dillian Whyte, i thought AJ got through those mainly down to what his opponents didnt do rather than what they did.

Back to last night though, did anyone think AJ looked real flat coming out? first there was a long delay, then when he came out he was his usual smiley self until he got in the ring, then he seemed lethargic, he leaned on the ropes for the announcements. Then between rounds he said to Rob McCracken 'why do i feel like this?' Could simply have been a case of not taking Ruiz seriously?

• Paid Members

9 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Back to last night though, did anyone think AJ looked real flat coming out? first there was a long delay, then when he came out he was his usual smiley self until he got in the ring, then he seemed lethargic, he leaned on the ropes for the announcements. Then between rounds he said to Rob McCracken 'why do i feel like this?' Could simply have been a case of not taking Ruiz seriously?

Hearn and AJ made it very clear post-fight that there is no magic excuse for the result. The reason for the delay was AJ decided his protector was crap, so wanted it changed just as they were about to walk out. 

I think AJ alluded to not taking Ruiz seriously post-fight. Who can blame him? No one did (apart from Fury).

In all honesty, the sooner we see Fury and Wilder lose as well, the better. It's this infatuation with an unbeaten record that is keeping these guys apart I think, and once they start losing they'll realise that all of the great fighters with a few notable exceptions lose. It happens.

No one is looking back on the career of Ali and saying "ah, but he lost to Ken Norton and Joe Frazier, so he wasn't all that great," are they? 

You know what would make AJ an actual legend of heavyweight boxing? Not beating guys like Andy Ruiz or Povetkin and finishing his career with no losses, but taking part in potential matches, rematches and trilogy fights with Fury and Wilder.

Imagine going through maybe five or six years with those three trading belts between each other, and the undisputed heavyweight title actually being held by one man eventually? I personally think that Joshua is a bit behind the other two as far as in-ring ability goes. Fury has the insane boxing ability, reach and a chin made of granite, Wilder isn't all that skilled but has crazy power that can drop anyone at any time, while Joshua isn't really at that level. He's a decent puncher, he's got decent footwork, a suspect chin, and reasonable cardio.

What Joshua has is the much-talked about "x-factor" of being a huge attraction and a media juggernaut. That's what he brings to the table, and there's fuck all wrong with that. In modern boxing that's just as important as Fury's boxing ability and Wilder's big punch.

• Paid Members

Despite his record, AJ has never had an invincible aura about him. It's why his rise has been so exciting to watch. Yes, undoubtedly he is dangerous but he has a terrible habit of getting clipped and wobbled, but he's always shown tremendous heart to grab the win back. Last night was just one fight too many, with him riding his luck a little previously.

I'm interested to see how it shapes his career. AJ always talks a good game.

• Paid Members

At 10pm last night while quite merry I made the point that I expected Joshua to get beat and not on points to calm some of the hype around him and shut a lot of the 'he's the greatest' brigade up and found odds of 25/1 on it happening.

I really wish I'd listened to drunk me and put a bet on that. 

Divisions just got a lot more interesting for me than I thought it would. 

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

You know what would make AJ an actual legend of heavyweight boxing? Not beating guys like Andy Ruiz or Povetkin and finishing his career with no losses, but taking part in potential matches, rematches and trilogy fights with Fury and Wilder.

Imagine going through maybe five or six years with those three trading belts between each other, and the undisputed heavyweight title actually being held by one man eventually? I personally think that Joshua is a bit behind the other two as far as in-ring ability goes. Fury has the insane boxing ability, reach and a chin made of granite, Wilder isn't all that skilled but has crazy power that can drop anyone at any time, while Joshua isn't really at that level. He's a decent puncher, he's got decent footwork, a suspect chin, and reasonable cardio.

What Joshua has is the much-talked about "x-factor" of being a huge attraction and a media juggernaut. That's what he brings to the table, and there's fuck all wrong with that. In modern boxing that's just as important as Fury's boxing ability and Wilder's big punch.

that X Factor is what causes all the issues though because before last night Joshua was holding 3 belts as well as being the main draw/money fight in the division. Fury/Wilder together can do very well fighting each other but the biggest fight for either was Joshua whilst he held those belts. They can build it back up but at the moment, the money that's been left on the table after last night is just insane. 

Andy Ruiz though, what a fucking guy, he came off likeable in the buildup it was hard not to root for him. The actual response im seeing online has been pretty good too, not so much shitting on Joshua but people just respecting and saying they were wrong to judge Ruiz going in. 

• Paid Members

Joshua I might add worried me a bit last night. Pretty sure at the end of the sixth he was heard saying "what's happening to me?" while not completely with it. He looked rougher than usual in the lead up to the fight too.

Not clued up on boxing but how long until he'll have some form of full assessment post fight? 

• Paid Members

Would have been straight away, he probably had some kind of concussion. It was the first time Joshua was in a real prolonged crisis, like I said previous, both Wlad & Whyte hurt Joshua badly but they both let him off the hook, during round 4 i believe Ruiz had done the same thing but after that he was hurting Joshua anytime that AJ tried anything, it was as if he mentally broke him.

• Paid Members

That's somewhat a relief then. He just seemed so confused and not by a mentally beaten standpoint I really thought he was in some danger. I guess if nothings come out about anything injury wise he's on the side of okay post fight

• Paid Members

Got to say, I don’t really like this insistence that he “quit” or was mentally broken. Who are we to say that? We weren’t the ones taking blows to the head off a 20st Andy Ruiz. Just because it didn’t end on a clean highlight reel KO and it finished with AJ on his feet not responding to the ref, doesn’t mean he should be labelled a quitter or that he’s somehow got something to be ashamed of because he didn’t go out like ‘a warrior’ or whatever. Fuck that noise. I find there’s a bit too much of that talk after fights. Similar with the Crawford vs Khan thing recently. Just doesn’t really sit right with me. 

I mean, I know it’s opinions and that but it feels like some were just waiting for something like this to happen because they didn’t like that he was overhyped or popular or whatever, so they’re latching onto the quitter line now. Which seems a bit sad to me. 

how did everyone see the Taylor fight? I thought she nicked it 96-94, could be an argument for a draw. But, I certainly didn't see a robbery, thought the classier and cleaner shots came from Taylor early and that's what won her the fight. I watched the American Commentary they had it 97-93 Taylor, maybe their commentary influenced me, I don't know. I just can't see where the huge controversy has come from online and twitter 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Got to say, I don’t really like this insistence that he “quit” or was mentally broken. Who are we to say that? We weren’t the ones taking blows to the head off a 20st Andy Ruiz. Just because it didn’t end on a clean highlight reel KO and it finished with AJ on his feet not responding to the ref, doesn’t mean he should be labelled a quitter or that he’s somehow got something to be ashamed of because he didn’t go out like ‘a warrior’ or whatever. Fuck that noise. I find there’s a bit too much of that talk after fights. Similar with the Crawford vs Khan thing recently. Just doesn’t really sit right with me. 

I mean, I know it’s opinions and that but it feels like some were just waiting for something like this to happen because they didn’t like that he was overhyped or popular or whatever, so they’re latching onto the quitter line now. Which seems a bit sad to me. 

labelling someone a quitter sounds harsh, but being a fan and calling it as you believe you see it is all part and parcel of being a fan isnt it?

Do you genuinely think Joshua wanted to continue when the ref had waved it off? He made a half arsed attempt at a protest but his body language and how he was acting was showing me at that point that he was looking for the ref to wave it off. Does that make a him a quitter? looking at it like that, it does in a way but that does sound incredibly harsh. There's no real shame in conceding defeat when you know you are are a beaten man in a sport like boxing. Still, to go out like that will always be damaging to a fighters reputation, there aint no way around that.