Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

33 minutes ago, David said:

Well, it's not quite that bad to be honest. Wilder is facing the number five ranked Ortiz, then apparently will be facing the number two ranked Tyson Fury, while Joshua is facing Ruiz who isn't ranked as far as I know, then he's rumoured to be facing Pulev next, who's ranked ninth.

It is amazing though, as Hearn and Joshua have managed to convince most fans that it's Wilder who's running scared and who's filling up his calendar despite the fact that he's the guy who's faced Fury, Breazeale (who's only other loss was Joshua), and is facing Ortiz and then Fury again. 

I'm aware he's fighting good opponents, but my point is it's hard to make a fight against someone that is constantly booked. I just think both camps are up to it.

I would rate Parker, Wladamir, and Povetkin over Breazeale. I wouldn't say that Ortiz is a more dangerous opponent than Povetkin or Wlad either. Fury is obviously a more dangerous opponent than all of them. But it should be remembered that Fury wasn't 100% when Wilder fought him. He was still in the very early stages of his comeback.

I think some are overlooking Ruiz. He's decent for a late replacement. His only loss was to Parker in a very close fight. He's certainly better than some of the heavyweights that Wilder and Fury have faced in recent times (Stiverne, Schwarz, etc). Admittedly, the prospect of Joshua vs Pulev does very little for me. But Pulev is also no slouch. 

For me, the best case scenario is that Fury boxes rings around Wilder early next year. That outcome would hopefully set up Joshua vs Fury for the summer. Or if not, Joshua vs Wilder. Of course, all three could slip up before then. I don't think it's a formality that Wilder beats Ortiz.

Nevertheless, I am sticking to my opinion that if all three eventually fight one another, it will more than likely be Fury who will be left with all the belts. 

Edited by jimufctna24

I'm not so much talking about this forum, but the amount of people who think Wilder is trying to avoid Joshua is insane. My point was that Wilder isn't avoiding the AJ fight and taking on bums.

I think the problem with the heavyweight scene at the moment is most likely money, and contract details. All three of these guys are more than savvy enough to know that the big money is in fighting each other, and for some reason it's Joshua who's being shut out of the equation, especially if Fury and Wilder fight yet again.

16 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not so much talking about this forum, but the amount of people who think Wilder is trying to avoid Joshua is insane.

Eddie Hearn states his case with a lot of conviction. He's a far better spokesman than those in Wilder's camp. Partially because he's more accessible and has one heck of a platform with IFL (and Boxing Social). 

I agree that Wilder isn't just fighting bums. As I said, the Ortiz fight is very risky for him. Chris Byrd thinks that Ortiz is the most skilled out of all the current heavies, even if he is ancient. I also think that money and contact details are the culprit. Furthermore, there is a lot of bad blood between Matchroom and Wilder's management, which probably prevents them from coming together. Executives at DAZN told Hearn to keep quiet while they negotiated with Wilder earlier this year. They were worried that Hearn would hurt negotiations.

A couple of the undercard fights on tonight's card have taken my eye.

Tommy Coyle vs. Chris Algieri - I doubt Tommy Coyle ever thought he would be fighting at MSG against a former world champion. Coyle the pressure fighter v Algieri the boxer. After Algieri's loss to Errol Spence 3 years ago, he has had two fights against questionable opponents, so difficult to determine his level and commitment. He's never had good punching power, so if Coyle jumps on him and doesn't let him box, it will be a long night for Algieri.

Katie Taylor vs. Delfine Persoon - Persoon is a season veteran who hasn't lost in 9 years. She holds the title, Taylor needs to unify the division.

Josh Kelly vs. Ray Robinson - This is a good step up for Kelly and potential banana skin. Robinson in his last fight took undefeated Lithuanian prospect, Egidijus Kavaliauskas to a draw. This is the first fight Kelly has taken on a southpaw and first in the US.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

I'm not so much talking about this forum, but the amount of people who think Wilder is trying to avoid Joshua is insane. My point was that Wilder isn't avoiding the AJ fight and taking on bums.

I think the problem with the heavyweight scene at the moment is most likely money, and contract details. All three of these guys are more than savvy enough to know that the big money is in fighting each other, and for some reason it's Joshua who's being shut out of the equation, especially if Fury and Wilder fight yet again.

There's alot of baffling things happening. Wilder taking a dangerous 2nd fight against Ortiz instead of taking a fight with Joshua for much more money is one of them. Of course, if Wilder wins the Joshua pot grows even bigger but its a massive risk to take when there's 2 huge fights being dangled out there in front of him. It isn't like Ortiz is a mandatory challenger either, they are choosing to fight him.

Ortiz is like the emporers clothes. 

He an old useless bum who get sparked by AJ in a few rounds and Fury would laugh at for 12.

Who has he ever beat who is decent?

If hes a dangerous fight for Wilder thats because Wilder isnt that good. 

I like how Arum and Finkel are showing Eddie how it works, thought hed go over to the U.S and tear it up with AJ, now he’s pulling his hair out looking for opponents. The powers at be will not let Joshua or Eddie take over the US market. Thats why they will let Wilder fight Fury but not Joshua.

ive read a few reports on boxing scene that DAZN isnt doing to well. I know it takes a while for these things, like WWE network to get up and running  but apparently its losing stupid amounts. 

Hope it does go tits up so we get to watch decent british fighters at decent times instead of Calumn Smith at 2am

AJ surely in under 4 tonight?  .

I had picked AJ to win on points. But I had a feeling that Ruiz was better than most were giving him credit for.

Still though, the result was a shock. In hindsight, AJ shouldn't have been so eager to go for the finish in the 3rd. I thought that Joshua had recovered as the 5th round progressed. But Ruiz had a great 6th round before catching AJ again in the 7th. 

I can only imagine what Frank Warren's face was like when the referee waved the fight off. 

• Paid Members

Ruiz simply wasn't afraid to let his hands go, any time AJ moved within range Ruiz let them fly, even after being knocked down. AJ just couldn't handle it, Ruiz got the better of nearly every exchange. Joshua just couldn't handle it, he was lost out there.

Joshua seemed to simply quit at the end too, Bellew and Froch questioned the stoppage which was nonsence, he wanted out of there.

• Paid Members

Fucking bonkers. The old ‘late notice curse’ strikes again. How many times have we seen this now in Boxing and especially in MMA? A guy steps in late to replace someone else, the world writes them off but they have nothing to lose and go out there and pull it off. Fair play to Ruiz. 

It was always going to happen eventually. The longer those AJ/Wilder/Fury fights never got made, the risk was always there that one of the Big 3 would lose. The gloating today from some sections is going to be fucking unbearable. I haven’t even been on social media and I’ve already caught bits of it.